Oklahoma Redman Triathlon
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 52m 7s
Overall Rank = 10/186
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30 and went up to Mike Davis and Paul Crisman's room, ate some breakfast. We all helped each other put on the high tech race number tattoos. I proceded to put Mike's 3 on upside down. Wasn't happy about that as this was his and Paul's first IM so I wanted everything to be perfect for them. Drove to the race site and got set up. Laid on the sidwald for a while and just tried to stay calm.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 04m 2s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim went amazing, felt really easy int eh wetsuit, but I did get a pretty good cramp in my right calf on the last stretch back into the finish. Had to stop and try to stretch it out. I think it was because I put on the wetsuit a bit early and had that pressure on my legs.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, ended up great
Transition 1
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

Used the changing tent for transition which I prefer over the rack changes. I think it gives you a chance to focus quickly ont he next stage. Should have used more sunscreen in hind sight. Thighs got pretty red.

nothing
Bike
  • 5h 31m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.30 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went pretty well. I ate some bananas and tried to work the cramp out of my leg. Also took in some extra salt tablets and it seemed to work. I passed a lot of people from the half IM who ended up out of the water before the full distance people. After the first lap, it got pretty lonely on the bike and you just had to keep going. Cadence was good and fuel intake was good. I did not stop for my special needs bag.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

Used the change tent again. Didn't rush too much and just went. At this point the bike was kind of a blur and heading out for the run just happened, not much thought going through my head.

nothing
Run
  • 4h 09m 15s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

The first half of the run felt harder than the second half. I could feel that I was just tired. The problem was that all kinds of people were watching back home on the internet tracker so I couldn't stop running. I would walk the aid stations for a few steps to drink, then run again. I did stop 2 times for the bathroom, but that is much better than the 4 stops in Louisville. It felt like I couldn't get a good belly breath and my tri top felt tight once it was wet. Next time I may switch to a running singlet. For the last half I was taking a gel every 3-4 miles and driking water only. Seemed to make me feel better so I guess that was a good choice. With the loop course, you could guage where you were at in the standings and it seemed like I was doing okay. I had thought top 20ish. I also like the loop course because I could see my family and friend Scott many times during the run. Coming down the finish stretch I hear them say that the 10th place finisher was coming in and then they said my name, actually said it right. It was a great relief to finish top 10. I had set that as my goal and accomplished it. I also wanted to go under 11 hours which I felt I should have done in Louisville. This was a hotter day and I still got a new PR. Very pleased. In the end, I think I left several minutes on the course and don't really feel like I pushed the pace like I could have, but still very pleased.

change tops
Post race
Warm down:

I saw my family and got a few photos. Got a very quick massage to get the knot out of my calf and went to the finish to wait for Paul and Mike. I think I was more excited for them than anything else. It was a great pleasure to train and race with them and to see them cross the line in their first IM, amazing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

An extremely well run event. The roads for the bike course are very rough, but that is out of their control. I would highly suggest this race.

Last updated: 2010-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:02 | 3862 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/186
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca
Course: 2 loop triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good