General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginning Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-30 8:21 PM

Subject: Beginning Triathlete

Hi everyone,

My name is Jay, and I am a beginner triathlete or at least making the attempt. I'm new to swimming, so I'm having some really difficulty with that piece of the sport. My goal are some Olympic distance events next season, and would love to do a IM 70.3 end of 2012.

Jay

2011-09-30 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3707226

User image

Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Beginning Triathlete

Hey Jay,

Welcome. Swimming can be a tough mistress to master. If you keep training enough it will get easier. Coaching will help as well but that can get pricey. There are plenty of videos and plans out there online that should help you with your training and race prep. If you ever have any questions please dont hesitate to put the question here on the forum as we are a friendly bunch. Best of luck with your training and races in the future.

2011-09-30 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Hi Jay,

Although I've done a bit of cycling this year, I'm just getting started on triathlon training myself.  I'm hoping to get through a couple sprints and finish with an olympic next year.  Like yourself, swimming is by far my biggest challenge/fear.  I've had a couple lessons with a coach at the local high school and that has really helped.  This community as a whole is very supportive with people at all levels up to and including IM always willing to share and help those of us just beginning.  I'm really enjoying the early stages of my training and know it will get better once I really figure out the swimming.  I'm sure you will too.

Cheers!

James

2011-10-01 1:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

Swimming can be a beast!! If you can get a coach for a good price by all means do it. I was able to hire one earlier with more than reasonable rate. 3 weeks of 1 on 1 coaching made a huge difference. Unfortunately he moved to another state.  Right now I have a swim coach I met at the Y who doesn't charge a dime, he's an older gentlemen who just enjoys teaching swimming to anyone who wants to improve. 

Try to swim as often as you can and definitely research swim technique.  If you can get someone to record you swimming below and above the water to help point out flaws will help alot too. Good luck!

2011-10-01 7:13 PM

Welcome Jay - I am a rookie as well.

As they say - build the base - build the base.....feels like I will still be doing this by the time I do my first IM

2011-10-03 5:46 PM

User image

Regular

Welcome to Triathlon!  See, I am a swimmer and it is the bike that scares and challenges me!  The only people who have it all down are the pros...and even they have coaches!!  Having taught swimming for years, I have some general pieces of advice for you.  First and foremost, spend some money and take a private lesson at your local YMCA.  They are fairly reasonable and will pay dividends in the long run.  The sooner the better as new errors are MUCH EASIER TO FIX than habits that you have had forever.  I would pay for one lesson, go away and practice, then maybe a month later, get another one.  Then, if you can, join a stroke improvement class.  This will all be so worth it when you become comfortable in the water and able to swim effortlessly.  With all the moula you will end up spending on this sport, it is worth it to get some good swim coaching.  As for a few pointers to think about now, make sure your arms are moving with purpose through the water.  Count your strokes from one end to the other.  In a 25 meter pool, you want to strive for something around 20 strokes.  If you are way over that, slow down and focus on your glide.  You will move faster and not get so tired in the water...both important in the sport of triathlon.  Keep your head down (ie: look at the bottom of the pool right underneath you, not the view in front)...this will help lift your feet and decrease drag.  If you are swimming vertically in the water, you will be working much harder.

Good Luck with all this and enjoy! 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginning Triathlete Rss Feed