Kathyloperevents.com
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Arrived very early for a change - it was nice not to be rushing around, stressing before the race (OK, I was still a little anxious...).
Event warmup:

Light strectching, jogged about 1/2 mile, more stretching. Wonderful wife rubbed my calves for me to get rid of tightness - she rocks!
Run
  • 1h 00m 33s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started too fast in both of the 5Ks I recently ran. I really wanted to start at the correct pace and just run my race.

I may have slightly over hydrated and had to stop for a bathroom pitstop (I didn't include that 32 seconds in my times above - is that a no-no??)

Right after the pitstop, I felt GREAT. I settled into my pace and felt very comfortable. I wanted to average 10 mins/mile (or less). I was able to do that (9 min 45 sec average for the day)!!

Mile 1-4 went well, 5 was a little rough. Mile 6 seemed to last forever. Not to mention that last 0.2 miles is also not to be dismissed.

I dug down for mile 6 and had my best mile of the day (9.09). I was starting to lose steam towards the end of mile six, but then I could see the finish line...Thank you Lord!! I sprinted the last 200 yards and finished strong. I was whipped at the end.

I am now babying myself for the rest of today...

What would you do differently?:

Drink a little less in the last hour before the race. My bladder was not all that happy...

I'd like to build my stamina, so that I could begin my strong finish in mile 5 instead of 6. I'm just not there yet.

It was a good day though, and I got my first 10K out of the way.

Post race
Warm down:

Fluids, light walking, stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Aerobic performance. My biggest limiter doesn't seem to be strength, rather endurance. Once I start pushing too hard, I can't keep my breathing at a reasonably even rhythmn.

Probably wouldn't hurt to lose about 15 pounds...

Event comments:

I wish they had more drink stations, a few more portopotties on the course, and some XXL shirts for us big guys.

Overall I had a great time, and it was a great event. I was recently told that I should always find the race director and thank them for their efforts. I did that today and it was much appreciated.

Last updated: 2004-03-15 12:46 AM
Running
01:00:33 | 06.2 miles | 09m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9.58 Mile 2 - 10.10 Mile 3 - 9.59 Mile 4 - 9.48 Mile 5 - 9.45 Mile 6 - 9.09 (YES!) last .2 miles - 1.39
Course: Scenic, flat, almost no wind - it was great.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes