Capri Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 10m 58s
Overall Rank = 308/378
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 23/23
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race I went to the race site to pick up my packet. It was pouring down rain and driving down there was really freaky. When I finally got to Federal Way I just wanted to get my stuff and leave.

The morning of the race was really cold. I tried to put off getting my wetsuit on until the last minute. I walked down to the water and waded into the lake a little. The water was much warmer than the air. The race was delayed a little because there was a really bad accident on the freeway and a bunch of racers were stuck in traffic. A trainer from Curves did a little bit of stretching with us to get us warmed up.

Finally, they lined us up in the staging area according to our waves. I was in wave 2. Everyone was pretty amped to get started and a few ladies were dancing to the music being played. It was pretty funny. My feet were so cold that they hurt when I walked. I really wanted to get going.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and jumping.
Swim
  • 14m 55s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

When it was time for my wave, we were lead out on to a dock and jumped in. Brrr! It took me a couple seconds to catch my breath and then we were off. I was keeping a good pace up to the first buoy. I was following a girl who was going pretty fast but unfortunately, she pulled ahead. I was trying to follow her all the way in but she got too far ahead of me and I couldn't really see her very well. I got a little confused about which buoy I was supposed to go around and I think I went a little bit too far. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Build more endurance.
Transition 1
  • 07m 18s
Comments:

We had to run about a quarter of a mile to the transition area from the lake. My feet were burning from the cold and hitting the pavement sent waves of sharp pain up my legs. I got to the point where I was limping to my transition area. By the time I got there, I was numb from head to toe. I could not get my wetsuit off. I debated a little on whether I should wear my fleece jacket on the bike but decided not to bother with it because I should warm up when I started riding. Bad idea.

I wish I would have put sandles or something at the swim finish. It would have made my transition much faster and my feet would not have hurt the entire race.
Bike
  • 50m 52s
  • 12 miles
  • 14.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was beautiful. My arms were freezing and numb almost instantly because the beginning of the course was pretty much all down hill. I did not warm up at all. I really regretted not having my jacket on.

Wear my jacket if I think I am going to be cold.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

I was so cold coming off my bike I could not bend my arms or fingers. I decided I really needed to put my jacket on so that took some time to do. My feet still hurt from running barefoot on the pavement.

Wear my jacket on the bike.
Run
  • 55m 15s
  • 4.1 miles
  • 13m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I did not warm up until the last loop of the run. The public and volunteer support was awesome. People were standing in their driveways cheering us on as we passed by. One of the great things about this race was that they put your first name on your race number so people could cheer for you. I thought that was a great idea.

Run more.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and ate a banana. I saw my friend from college at the race. He was helping with all the sound equipment. I talked to him for awhile while I stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The cold weather really sapped my energy from the beginning. I am going to get a long sleeved racing top for future races.

Event comments:

I loved this race. The course was beautiful and it was well organized. There were tons of volunteers and the public support was the best race of any I have done so far. The music was great and very motivating thanks to my friend Matt. The food wasn't very good. I liked this race better than Danskin. The course is a little more challenging than the Danskin because there are more hills and the run is a mile longer but it is not too challenging for first timers who like a challenge. I will do this race next year.

Last updated: 2005-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:55 | 880 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 12/378
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: A triangle course in Steel Lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:18
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:52 | 12 miles | 14.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/23
Overall: 325/378
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops around the Weyerhaeuser campus.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:55:15 | 04.1 miles | 13m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/23
Overall: 346/378
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loops around Steel Lake with rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes