General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz Mermaid #2 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Santa Cruz Mermaid #2 Sprint Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Santa Cruz, California
United States
By the Beach Productions
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 03m 42s
Overall Rank = 100/106
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 8/9
Pre-race routine:

Got to Aptos around 6am. It was still dark. Kinda wierd to set up transition in the dark. Really cold. Checked in, set up transition, waited. Ate banana, ate energy bar. Prayed with Elizabeth, prayed with Elizabeth and Judith, prayed with Elizabeth, Sarah, and Wes. Good prayer times. God was there and I was excited.
Event warmup:

Jogged loop around transition area and parking lot. Got in the water, saw the sea lion, and swam back. The water was freezing! My face was freezing!
Swim
  • 19m 56s
  • 402 meters
  • 04m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

Water was really calm. Pretty easy swim. Didn't do backstroke, breast just a couple of times, but not for very long. Sighting was really easy with the pier and ship to my right ( breathing side ). I swam in the middle of the pack for most of it, then I think I was closer to the rear, but I felt like I was swimming an average pace. I was surprised. This time includes walking up the beach, up a few stairs, then down a path, then up 152 stairs to transition. I think my actual water time would probably be around 13-14 min.
What would you do differently?:

My arms were kinda tired, I think I need to practice strength drills or something. I also just want to practice longer open water swims.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Major issues putting on my under armor shirt on a cold wet body. Much faster when I dont have to put on any other garments. But it was really cold out there so I was glad I had it on.

Not sign up for a tri where you have to run up 152 stairs to transition.
Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 11 miles
  • 9.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I made it up the hills. I think that really took more engery so the run wasnt so good. Other women beat me on the run, maybe cause they walked hills? Or were better trained for them. Not really sure. I felt pretty speedy other than the hills. Max speed was 24.9 mph. So I felt good. New brakes felt good. It was pretty cold, so my feet were numb and my legs were cold.

Train on hills! Get better strength and speed up, and get comfortable going faster down hills.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Total bike time includes T1 and T2. T2 much smoother than T1, no clothes to change except to get on the running shoes. No pockets to put my fuel in...but hopefully next time I wont need a long sleeved shirt. My feet were still numb at the end of the bike. Quads ached from hills and running felt way wierd.

Didn't run with bike, or leave shoes on. I'm not a pro. Maybe should practice running with bike?
Run
  • 35m 44s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 14m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Calves hurt horribly. Thought I would cramp. I think I half limped most of the way. Stopped to stretch 3 times, but no walking. Right lower calf really painful.

Need to figure out the calf problem.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, tried to catch my breath, streched. Should have stretched more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calves, calves, calves.

Event comments:

I think the course was very challenging, but praise God, not beyond my ability. I think the course had too much strain on my calves, probably the stairs made for a bad run. I think I could train more on hills and compete better. But I felt good about my effort level. I felt like I performed well despite the course circumstance.

Last updated: 2005-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:56 | 402 meters | 04m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/9
Overall: 96/106
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca speedsuit, tri shorts, tri sports bra
Course: Swam around the cement ship in Aptos. 200 meeters down, around bouys, and 200 meeters back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:00 | 11 miles | 9.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 94/106
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 2-3 VERY challenging hills. These spots I saw lots of women walking up the hills, but I made it my personal goal to not walk. I thought I might have to when I hit the first one, but I made it and I didnt. Other than those 3 big hills there were several smaller long hills and a few straight aways. Mostly neighborhoods. Road was not very smooth. Felt lots of vibrations.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:44 | 02.5 miles | 14m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 100/106
Performance: Below average
Course: Down steep hill, straigh for most of course, then turn around, straight, and end at top of steep hill. All pavement.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 2:09 PM

Subject: Santa Cruz Mermaid #2 Sprint Triathlon

2005-09-20 8:40 PM
in reply to: #250334

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Subject: RE: Santa Cruz Mermaid #2 Sprint Triathlon

Elaine,

Great job on the race! I was there too This was too much fun, will definitely do it again next year

Pam

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Cruz Mermaid #2 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed