Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-10-14 8:36 AM
in reply to: #3718329

User image

Veteran
Traveling
Subject: RE: new Lottery for Kona
Is it 12 entries gets you in to the master ticket or is it 12 finishes?

2011-10-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3723753

Master
Northern IL
It sounds more like 12 finishes because the talk is of doing 12 races, but they don't have the final wording out yet, as far as I know.
2011-10-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3723459

User image

Elite
N Carolina
spudone - 2011-10-13 10:04 PM

This is right, which was the reason I wondered how they came up with the number 12.

Assuming everything on that blog is valid -- I think it's because they'll be working through the backlog of people who have already done 12.  Also because they're only allocating them to existing slots (something like 200 each year?).  So they probably went through their stats of increasing # of IMs until they found something that wouldn't overwhelm the lottery.

Also they probably crossed a percentage of those off because some of those 12-time Ironmen are going to qualify directly to Kona anyhow.

*I would think* that a very high percentage of people who already have 12 IM finishes have already raced Kona.  It is my understanding that if you have ever raced Kona, you are no longer eligible for the 12 finishes rule.  That would make the list considerably shorter.

2011-10-14 11:26 AM

Very surprised by some of the comments on this thread.  First of all, I have never entered the lottery as I always wanted to qualify outright.  This is a personal choice however and its very disheartening to me that people think this race should be about only those that qualify.  I absolutely do not begrudge the lottery winners whatsoever.  This race did NOT start as a World Championship race and its still a field of 2000+ amateurs.  This is not the PGA Championship, where you must be a professional to play.  Professional triathletes still have to qualify, this means there are guys that can legit go 8:20 in an Ironman and not be Kona eligible.  So that 41 year old type A part time jock, full time lawyer that goes 10:20 and "qualifies" gets in before the 8:20 pro trying earn a living in the sport.  I don't hear pro's griping about this, what gives the lawyer the right to gripe about a lottery winner, or as it seems will soon be the case a, "loyalty" participant?   It isn't the best 2000 triathletes in world and never has been.  Deal with it.  If not for a bunch of crazy weekend warrior athletes this race/sport would not exist.  We would all do well to remember this, the "everyman" effectively gave a bunch of good but not great single sport athletes a means to compete as world class athletes.  They gave us office slugs a goal to try to reach or for some a second chance to become an athlete. 

The other aspect of this is that WTC is still a business.  After 3 less than stellar IMs, I had all but given up the dream of qualifying and as I said didn't really want to go via lottery.  The lure of continuing to do IM races and never getting a payoff was more than I was willing to sacrifice.  A "loyalty" basically locks me in for probably a lifetime.  I now feel as though I can continue to try to qualify, but if I fall short, I would very likely take my loyalty spot.  For those that think 12 Ironmans is easy, I suggest you come back after you have finished 3.  12 is a lot! And takes a lot of sacrifice over a long period of time.  Finally, as to the supply of 12x finishers outpacing the number eligible slots.  WTC still controls the gates.  They can add another step in qualifying, they can raise prices, they can do a lot of things before needing to rethink the rule.  In the meantime, they just cut the legs out from under some of the other race organizers trying to nibble off market share.

Nothing bad about this change in my opinion.    

Edited by saltman95 2011-10-14 11:28 AM
2011-10-14 4:08 PM

User image

Sarnia
Can someone please repost the link, it's not working. there seems to be something missing in between www. and the other .
2011-10-14 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3724585

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

bmeere - 2011-10-14 4:08 PM Can someone please repost the link, it's not working. there seems to be something missing in between www. and the other .

Just google IMTalk and it will take you right to the podcast.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new Lottery for Kona Rss Feed  

of 4