A little slice of paradise
Subject: new Lottery for Kona

2011-10-10 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3718329

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: new Lottery for Kona
I think this is a great idea and I better get my aloha shirt out again.
2011-10-10 7:16 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
I am on board with this path to Kona!
2011-10-11 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3718349

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Um the link don't work fer me.
2011-10-11 8:59 AM

User image

Champion

It is an interesting twist, but mostly I am opposed to the lottery for Kona, period. It is a championship race with extremely high qualification standards, and I personally just couldn't see lining up with all the others, having made it there through a lottery -- any lottery*.

The prestige of Kona rests in what it requires to get there -- otherwise, how many people would travel to Hawaii to do that course? That is, take away the world championship status, and take away the 2000 athletes who have proven they deserve to be there, and what you have is a killer course --- that would fill up about as fast as St. George does.

I am hard-pressed to think of any other athletic championship in which those who are less than the best are participants. On the other hand, we as triathletes are fortunate that it is so relatively easy (choosing your races carefully) to race right next to professionals and elites (and champions!), to engage them in pre-race and post-race conversations, to even have medals hung around our neck by them. So, if it's rubbing shoulders with the best that matters to us, we still can get some of our cake and eat it, too.......but just not all of it if we don't manage to qualify for Kona!

If there are spots to be "given away", then I would favor them coming from deeper into the highly-competitive age groups. (*And if we must lotterize, then maybe have it based on age-group stellar times -- say, for those in M35-39 who have done an M-dot in sub-11?)

Finally, if WTC really wants to reward those loyal triathletes who have done 12+ IM, without watering down the Kona field, give them a free registration to the M-dot of their choice -- and let them pick the one they want as close as a month out from their chosen race. What a wonderful thing to do, and at no cost to the athlete. Just a thought!

2011-10-11 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3718997

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member

stevebradley - 2011-10-11 9:59 AM It is an interesting twist, but mostly I am opposed to the lottery for Kona, period. It is a championship race with extremely high qualification standards, and I personally just couldn't see lining up with all the others, having made it there through a lottery -- any lottery*.  

I see your point, but...

Where would they get all those tear-jerker stories of people missing the cutoff to show on CBS in December, if they didn't have a lottery? I enjoy watching the pros, but I really get into the age-grouper stories they feature during the edited broadcast. It's the one time of year a few Americans actually have a chance to be exposed to Ironman, and I think many of us here on BT were probably inspired by watching those broadcasts. If it were all pros, probably no one would think, "Maybe I can do that someday."

2011-10-11 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3718997

User image

Champion
the colony texas

stevebradley - 2011-10-11 8:59 AM It is an interesting twist, but mostly I am opposed to the lottery for Kona, period. It is a championship race with extremely high qualification standards, and I personally just couldn't see lining up with all the others, having made it there through a lottery -- any lottery*. The prestige of Kona rests in what it requires to get there -- otherwise, how many people would travel to Hawaii to do that course? That is, take away the world championship status, and take away the 2000 athletes who have proven they deserve to be there, and what you have is a killer course --- that would fill up about as fast as St. George does. I am hard-pressed to think of any other athletic championship in which those who are less than the best are participants. On the other hand, we as triathletes are fortunate that it is so relatively easy (choosing your races carefully) to race right next to professionals and elites (and champions!), to engage them in pre-race and post-race conversations, to even have medals hung around our neck by them. So, if it's rubbing shoulders with the best that matters to us, we still can get some of our cake and eat it, too.......but just not all of it if we don't manage to qualify for Kona! If there are spots to be "given away", then I would favor them coming from deeper into the highly-competitive age groups. (*And if we must lotterize, then maybe have it based on age-group stellar times -- say, for those in M35-39 who have done an M-dot in sub-11?) Finally, if WTC really wants to reward those loyal triathletes who have done 12+ IM, without watering down the Kona field, give them a free registration to the M-dot of their choice -- and let them pick the one they want as close as a month out from their chosen race. What a wonderful thing to do, and at no cost to the athlete. Just a thought!

If that was really true,, then they should only have the pro's..   regardless of time.. AG'ers are just AG'ers

I"d think that someone who has finished 12+ IM's would be doing this a while and have pretty decent times anyway.

2011-10-11 9:21 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm all for the changes.  As someone who has historically had horrible luck on anything involving random chance I like the idea of increasing my odds the longer I keep trying.  

Now as for lottery or no lottery, I agree that having the AG'ers of all abilities makes the race so much more special.  If they made it only based on qualification times and let in AG qualifyers who have finished in under 12 hours for example then it makes the last 5 hours of Kona non existent.

2011-10-11 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3719039

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I think it's great.  I can think of a lot of very talented and able IMers who will now get their chance after being VERY close to the cutoffs (or not) in their other IMs.  

I've been thinking about Biggest Loser's Tara Costa and her day at Kona.   I think she did GREAT on a challenging day and had a very respectable sub-14 race.  But, she was the last person in her age group (ahead of the DNS/DNFs).   I would have a hard time with that because it sucks to be last in a race like this, so I give her a lot of props for making it happen and doing well in my opinion.

But somewhere in-between the super fast folks and the people who have friends at NBC we have a lot of people who would just like their turn in the sun.    As long as there's any sort of lottery, I think this is a fantastic change.

2011-10-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3719039

User image

Champion

tuwood -

No, it wouldn't make it non-existant, it would just make it less than championship calibre. Only eight teams made the baseball playoffs; does that mean that the others had a non-existant seson?

In point of fact, most people who qualified for Kona were well, well under the 17-hour cut-off, and probably most were sub-12. And "all abilities" is relative, given all age-groupers. However, within in each age group at Kona, the qualification standards ensure that there most of the ability levels are high --as befits championship events.

2011-10-11 9:34 AM
in reply to: #3719020

User image

Champion

Gaarryy -

It's a championship for age-groupers, too, not just the professionals. And it's for this reason that people work so hard, and take such pride in, qualifying.

2011-10-11 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I'm not so sure I like the automatic entry if you've done 12.

That's all well and good RIGHT NOW, but 6-9 years from now that will be an impossible bargain to uphold without expanding the race.

I do like the "more chances the more times you've entered the lottery".  Definitely cool!

2011-10-11 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Although I think that with the addition of so many new IM qualifying races they need to begin to limit the size of the lottery and award more qualifying slots to existing and planned races, as well as taking them entirely away from any 70.3 event, I'm not opposed to the current lottery or some of this new proposal. The lottery was created by the original RD for Ironman, Valerie Silk, and was part of the deal when she sold the brand. I don't like the increase in chances the more you enter aspect, I think it should juts be random luck, but I do understand WTC's motive behind it and the 12 IM's and you in plan. That's a lot of revenue for them.
2011-10-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3719003

User image

Champion

ahohl -

I get my inspiration not from those who have "lucked-into" a spot, but those who have taken decent natural abilities, and focused on a goal, and worked their tochis off, and made it to Kona. Those are the stories I want to hear, or at least those are the stories that resonate the most with me. Kona is full of people who, a few years previous, didn't figure they could qualify -- but chased that dream with great desire and discipline and determination (Yes! D3!), and made it happen.

As for "maybe I can do that someday", what is "that"? Is it Kona? Is it ironman? Is it simply a triathlon -- or many triathlons? Personally, I kind of worry about those who see a Kona broadcast and immediately set Kona in their sights, as for most of us it is unrealistic and destined for disappointed.

What IS realistic here at BT is for people to get interested in triathlon and - hopefully - make it a positive part of their lifestyle. We all know that most age-groupers will not compete at national- or world-class levels, and that's really what goes wth the turf of being the average amateur. It shouldn't diminish us at all, but rather we should be proud of our own individual accomplishments. And if we manage to train at an iron-level and choose to do that distance.....what is wrong with being content to just do that distance and not worry about doing it at Kona?

2011-10-11 10:00 AM
in reply to: #3719115

User image

Champion

bryancd -

Yup, that's the snag in my opposition -- that the lottery was Valerie's vision and (probably) deserves to be honored, and may be legally bound to be observed. But if it could just be downsized some.....!

2011-10-11 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3719059

User image

Champion

BikerGrrrl -

That's what being competitive is all about! It was pretty awful a few years back when I missed USAT rankings status by 0.1735 or so.......but it just made me work harder and with greater success since then. (And, apropos the current discussion, I "failed" to qualify at IMLP when I did it in '04; so it goes!)

As for people wanting their turn in the sun --- don't we all! Yes, I too wanted to patrol left field at Fenway Park for the Red Sox, and I too wanted to front my own blues band, and so on and so on. But the talent wasn't there, or maybe I just wasn't willing to work hard enough at it -- either way, that's the way it is. On the one hand you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, on the other hand you can't moan if you haven't worked hard enough to make a possible dream come true.

As I said in another psot, what is wrong - or deficient- with just doing triathlons; isn't that enough of a realistic turn in the sun? I have seen many people crying with joy upon completing a triathlonand for them I am sure they are savoring that moment in the sun. Watching people finish an iron is also pretty amazing; since when isn't that enough? Doing either or those -- finishing a sprint or finishing an iron - puts us into our own "elite" level, as of course, 99.999% of folks we know couldn't do any of this. Why isn't that enough for us?

2011-10-11 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3719071

User image

Elite
N Carolina

stevebradley - 2011-10-11 10:34 AM Gaarryy - It's a championship for age-groupers, too, not just the professionals. And it's for this reason that people work so hard, and take such pride in, qualifying.

x2.

2011-10-11 10:49 AM

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

It always amazes me the amount of time we'll spend debating how WTC should run THEIR corporation.

I love the change, gives me a chance someday.

2011-10-11 11:08 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

The general consensus I'm reading at ST from those in the new system is that it seems the slots come from lottery slots. This can only INCREASE the talent in the field overall, as some of those lottery slots that would have gone to a one-and-done person, will go to regular IM finishers.

I'll never get there any way but lottery, but I wouldn't have any problem having them make it harder on a guy like me to get there. For that matter, the AG slots should only go to 140.6 races, not 70.3.

All that said, don't forget the lottery is not a new concept, but the everyman component of it is vital to its roots and growth. And there are what, 200 slots out of 1800? That's barely more than 11%.

Kona is several races in one, and that's part of its appeal. I watched the pro men and women finish live online, went to bed, got up and watched the last 5 minutes of the finish line. If Chrissie and Craig can be there for those folks too, that tells me something about the character of the uniqueness of this world championship.

2011-10-11 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3719272

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
TheClaaaw - 2011-10-11 11:08 AM

The general consensus I'm reading at ST from those in the new system is that it seems the slots come from lottery slots. This can only INCREASE the talent in the field overall, as some of those lottery slots that would have gone to a one-and-done person, will go to regular IM finishers.

Exactly.  At least for now, the number of lottery participants won't increase and not everyone who has done 12 or more will get in the first time around.   It just makes the people who get in a little bit more qualified to be there.

2011-10-11 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3719071

User image

Champion
the colony texas

stevebradley - 2011-10-11 9:34 AM Gaarryy - It's a championship for age-groupers, too, not just the professionals. And it's for this reason that people work so hard, and take such pride in, qualifying.

Yea.. like the 70.3 when it was in Clearwater, 

True, but an amatuer is still an amatuer, People don't tune in to watch the TV broadcast for AG athletes, unless it's family. It's the special interest stories and the Pros are what have driven the ratings making it what it is today.

Plus doing 12 doesnt' guarentee a person a slot for that year, just gets them on a seperate list of entries taken from the lotto pool. It could take years once a person completes 12 before they head to the island, and I'm still of the opinion that a person that has done at least 12 IM's through the years will most likley have a better finishing time than a lotto person that has just entered that is new to the sport. So the thought process of it watering down things is mute IMHO

2011-10-11 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3719320

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Gaarryy - 2011-10-11 11:34 AM

stevebradley - 2011-10-11 9:34 AM Gaarryy - It's a championship for age-groupers, too, not just the professionals. And it's for this reason that people work so hard, and take such pride in, qualifying.

True, but an amatuer is still an amatuer, People don't tune in to watch the TV broadcast for AG athletes, unless it's family. It's the special interest stories and the Pros are what have driven the ratings making it what it is today.

Plus doing 12 doesnt' guarentee a person a slot for that year, just gets them on a seperate list of entries taken from the lotto pool. It could take years once a person completes 12 before they head to the island, and I'm still of the opinion that a person that has done at least 12 IM's through the years will most likley have a better finishing time than a lotto person that has just entered that is new to the sport. So the thought process of it watering down things is mute IMHO

While you're correct that it could take a while, I doubt that it will take years--especially after the first couple of years under the new system. 12-time IM finishers is going to be a fairly small group.  12-time finishers that want to do Kona even smaller. Will be interesting to see.

2011-10-11 12:33 PM

User image

Pro
I don't care one bit about Kona. I care about staying healthy and being able to do Triathlon as long as I can....I just enjoy the lifestyle.  I win every time I lace up my shoes, climb up on my bike, or push off the pool wall.  All I have to do to realize how lucky I am is to look around me, the evidence is everywhere and I'm constantly grateful that I can still go. Not everyone cares about Kona.....it's just a Triathlon, not the Holy Grail.
2011-10-11 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3719423

User image

Elite
N Carolina
zed707 - 2011-10-11 1:24 PM
Gaarryy - 2011-10-11 11:34 AM

While you're correct that it could take a while, I doubt that it will take years--especially after the first couple of years under the new system. 12-time IM finishers is going to be a fairly small group.  12-time finishers that want to do Kona even smaller. Will be interesting to see.

From what I understand, if you've ever been to Kona you are not eligible.  So the list of people who have done 12+ and not Kona should be pretty small.

2011-10-11 1:39 PM

User image

Veteran
If an athlete finishes one Iron in 16HR, and another finishes 12 in 16.5HR, the fastest time period should be at the championship. If you are not fast enough to make the cut, you don't deserve a day in the sun. HTFU. This is exactly what happens when, as children, we are taught that everyone should get a ribbon, or is a winner. There will always be winners and looser, but learning how to deal with defeat is much more beneficial at dealing with life at its hardest.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new Lottery for Kona Rss Feed  

of 4