United States
EndorFun
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 29m 42s
Overall Rank = 1237/1691
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove up Saturday morning. Got a little bit of a late start which made me cranky. On our way we drove a good portion of the bike course so I could check out the hills before heading to Gunstock for registration. No lines, quick and easy process.

After the mandatory pre-race meeting we headed to the transition area for bike check-in. The hubs and kids played on the beach while I did a short ride, run, and swim. Instead of heading back to Gunstock for the pasta dinner we decided to hit the charity pasta dinner for the Gilford Police Dept at transition. I was glad not to have to drive anywhere else. After that we went back to the hotel and got ready for bed. The kids took a while to settle down and I woke a couple times but I got a decent nights sleep.

Morning of I got up at 4 am to make sure I had an early enough breakfast. The hotel (Fairfield Inn in Gilford) opened their continental breakfast at 3am for racers which was really nice. I had my normal whole wheat bagel with PB and honey and drank water and coffee. Tried to find a ride but ended up packing the kids in the car at 4:45 and my husband drove me down to the start. About a 1/2 mile before the turn into Ellacoya Park my stomach turns and I almost vomit... twice. After setting up and a few potty breaks I watch the pros go off and come in. I had lots of time since I was in the last wave.
Event warmup:

Just some light stretching.
Swim
  • 45m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have no idea why but I was a nervous wreck for this race. I've been racing competitively in one way or another since I was 9 yo. Why was this one different? About 10min before my start another woman from my wave took one look at me and just laughed. I asked if I looked that bad. She said I just had a look of "what the he!! did I get myself into?".

I had no idea where to place myself in the start so I took a little of a backseat expecting most others to be faster than I was. This was a mistake. The lack of sighting or poor sighting by others and the super slow pace made it almost impossible for me to go anywhere. I pretty much ended up breast stroking 3/4 of the way to the first turn bouey til I found an opening and started to crawl. I got into a grove very quickly and just kept it nice and easy. About 1/2 through that leg I pass a yellow cap. Then another. Then a blue cap. Passing each of these people gave me more confidence. Now I'm enjoying myself.

I hear the music, the cheers. Feeling good. I swim to about right above the knee level and start taking my suit off my arms in the water. I had no idea how fast or slow I was going to be in this leg so when I saw my time I was both happy and sad. Happy it was over with but sad bc I know I could have been so much faster if I had placed myself better.
What would you do differently?:

Be more confident. I think if I had started on the outside, second back I could have cut off 5 min easily.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I felt good. Smiled for the camera. The strippers were very efficient and off to my bike. Suit down, sunglasses, race belt, and helmet on and I was off.

Nothing. I did good.
Bike
  • 3h 39m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.33 mile/hr
Comments:

It took me a few minutes to get comfy and finally get my feet in my shoes. About 4 mi in I have a feeling that one of my wheels is rubbing agains the breaks. I always get this feeling. I stop. Check my wheels. Look fine. Reset just in case. Get back on. Go another 1/2 mi and get the feeling again. I stop a second time to reset again. Again they look fine. I'm probably just neurotic.

Shortly thereafter I see the Men's Pro leader go flying by. I was a bit disheartened when he's 5 mi from the finish and I'm just starting. But focusing on that wasn't going to get me back any faster so I just enjoyed the ride.

It was a pretty uneventful bike overall. I kept it nice and easy. The biggest thing I struggled with was the balance between "living off the course" and "my tried and true nutrition plan". I felt that I needed to grab something at every station so I didn't run out. This took too much time and energy. Additionally, bc of the heat and lack of shade on course I drank a lot trying to stay hydrated. I ended up consuming too many liquids. About 40 miles in I realized I was taking in too much and stopped except for a sip and spit of water when I experienced dry mouth. I was hoping the last hr or so would help ease things before the run.

About 10 mi from the end, my toes started cramping. I know I need new shoes, the ones I have are 20+ years old but I didnt' want to break in another thing.

First off, I need a new saddle. I had switched to a Terry a few weeks before and while it was better than the stock saddle it's not perfect for me.

Second, I need to set up my bike differently so I can carry all my nutrional needs with me. I had tried to live off the course and tried to train that way but I don't think that worked for me mentally race day. I got too caught up in making sure I got my needs at each aid station rather than focusing on me. I'll be taking them out of the equation a bit and rely on them for refilling my water and gatorade only.

Third, I needed to train more hills. All my long rides on flat Cape Cod were a big disservice.

Finally, get those new shoes.
Transition 2
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Oh how excited I was pulling into the transition area. It felt great to get my feet out of the shoes and run in the grass. Bike racked, helmet off, shoes on. As I was putting on my shoes I remembered Kim's (kt65) tip. It took me a few seconds to relax myself but ahhhhh....much better. Cooled (washed?) myself off with my water bottle and I was off.

Nothing but maybe practice? ha!
Run
  • 1h 59m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good outside of that heavy tummy feeling from drinking too much on the bike. I was going at a glacial pace but consistent and stuck with my run/walk strategy I did in training. Saw my husband and kids just as I started my second lap. After some hugs I looked down at my watch and noticed it wasn't tracking any longer. I realized much later the memory was full. Ugh, I really need to be better about downloading and deleting my workouts.

About 1/2 thru my second lap a guy in a golf cart came up next to me and told me there was severe weather coming in quickly and he needed me to turn around. I did as he asked yet after a hundred yards or so I realized what that meant. I was so disappointed that I wasn't going to be able to complete the course. I stopped and thought about turning back around. The clouds were getting dark quickly though so I headed towards the finish.

Work on finding hydration balance and run more.
Post race
Warm down:

By the time I finished the clouds were getting really dark. I looked for some food but all that was left was some awful clam chowder and pasta salad. Many of the tents were already pulled down. I was pretty disappointed. I decided to pack up my stuff and find the hubs and kids.

They had gone back to Gunstock for rain coats and thought they had enough time to get back for my finish. Since I got turned around they didn't. Oh well. I told them to stay on the shuttle bus and get the car. By the time they made it back for me it was full on pouring rain and the park was empty. Nothing like being the last man standing...literally.

Event comments:

Amazing support, fabulous energy, great people. Disappointed I didn't get to complete the race but really looking forward to tackling another 70.3.

Last updated: 2010-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:52 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1691
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra vortex
Course: Out, across, and back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:39:12 | 56 miles | 15.33 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with a few diversions.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:59:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: flat with one minor 'hill'
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-11 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2011-10-11 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3718828

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Wow, I am very sorry to hear about you not getting to finish the race because of the weather. I cant imagine how that must have felt. Did they recognize you as an official finisher because it was weather related?
2011-10-11 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3718828

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
They did.  If you look at the results it's evident that I wasn't the only one turned around.  I did get an official time, finishers medal and hat but I still know I didn't complete the full 70.3.  So I guess it wasn't my first HIM.  Maybe I'll just consider that a long training day.  ha.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed