General Discussion Race Reports! » Myrtle Beach Triathlon - Halfmax Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Myrtle Beach Triathlon - Halfmax Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
United States
Ultramax Events
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 35m 46s
Overall Rank = 21/293
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/33
Pre-race routine:

I flew into Myrtle Beach two days before the race which provided the opportunity to check out the race course and surrounding area. The course was definitely flat, but there were sustained winds which would make the race interesting.

The night before the race I woke up at 1am (jet-lag), had breakfast at 3:30am. I spoke to the family around 5am and they did a great job of cheering me on from 12 time zones away. Finally at 5:30am I headed out for the short 3 min walk to the transition area. Had some minor GI issues so I took two Pepto.
Event warmup:

Not much of an opportunity to warm up in the murky, brakish water.
Swim
  • 27m 30s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race started in the marina using a wade/wave start format so the start was not too crowded. I was able to find some open water and pulled away. Towards the 1/3rd mark I started running into swimmers from earlier waves. You could not see more than 6 inches in the water, so I unfortuantly plowed right into a few folks - sorry about that. During the latter half of the swim I suffered from some seriously poor navigation and found my self having to make repeated adjustments to my swim. Suspect I lost 30 sec with my poor navigation. My actual swim time was 26:30. The official swim time includes the run up to T1.
What would you do differently?:

Better navigation.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I had a good run up to T1. I put on my bike shoes which cost me about 20 to 30 sec and then ran out.

Not much.
Bike
  • 2h 28m 13s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 36.48 km/hr
Comments:

The course was flat but there was a hugh, sustained 20 to 30 mph wind coming from the north. I was riding 28 to 32 KPH into the wind and then 40 to 45 KPH with the wind. Riding into the wind was physically challenging, but interestingly riding with the wind was mentally challenging. I would find myself riding 40+KPH, but my HR was dropping, so despite the speed, it was clear that I need to press the pace.

Push a little harder. Should be able to drop a few more minutes with some more bike training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

Got out of my shoes before I hit T2. Racked my bike, put on the shoes and socks and headed out. I generally had a competitive T2.

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 36m 56s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 04m 36s  min/km
Comments:

I was very pleased with my run. In the weeks running upto the race I managed to pull my right hamstring. This was a major concern, so on the bike I used more quads than normal. When I started running the quads were hurtin'. The run was a process of pushing the pace, but not to the point of cramping up. I started running a 7:15 pace and slowed down a bit in the second half to a 7:30 pace. Interestingly, the run was my weakest leg (as compared to my AG).

Based on the race results it looks like I came into T2 in second place. During the run I was passed by two strong runners.

On race day, I delivered the best run possible. Looking forward I do see room for improvement and I should be able to run a sub 1:35 HIM for the same course and same conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

I was very pleased with my time and place . . . this being said I think there was another race in Hawaii that might (yes) have weakened the field. That being said, it is what it is and I am pleased with my 4th at the US Nationals :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much. I executed as planned. I adapted well to developments through out the race, delivered a PB and qualified for the US National Team. Next stop, Spain 2012!

Event comments:

This was a well organized race.

Last updated: 2011-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:30 | 1931 meters | 01m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/33
Overall: 14/293
Performance: Average
HR 166 / Max HR 173
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro2
Course: One loop in the Inter-coastal Waterway.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:28:13 | 90.12 kms | 36.48 km/hr
Age Group: 7/33
Overall: 27/293
Performance: Good
30K - 49m (AHR150); 60K - 52m (AHR148); 90K - 47m13s (AHR147). Total AHR148 / MHR167
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Two loops around an H-shaped course. Most of the course was on a closed highway. Course was about 1k short.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:36:56 | 21.08 kms | 04m 36s  min/km
Age Group: 10/33
Overall: 36/293
Performance: Good
5 mile - 36:11 (HR149); 10 mile - 37:18 (HR150); 13.1 mile - 23:18 (HR156)
Course: 3 out and backs along a flat tree line parkway. Very nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-14 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brambleton, VA
Subject: Myrtle Beach Triathlon - Halfmax Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Myrtle Beach Triathlon - Halfmax Distance Rss Feed