DRC Sports
70sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 17s
Overall Rank = 32/154
Age Group = women
Age Group Rank = 4/54
Pre-race routine:

I started coming down with a cold 2 days before the race. I drank and drank and drank as much water as physically possible and was able to suppress it enough to race. I woke up and put myself in the mind set that I was not sick. I had been training hard. I was doing this race and I was doing it well. (and I was really well hydrated too!)
Event warmup:

Did a little running and stretching on the beach before. It was really cold. Had to stand in the water to keep my feet from going numb. (It was in the low 60s. I'm from FL, no cold tolerance)
Swim
  • 28m 22s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really nervous before the race when I realized I was one of few people without a wet suit. But, I don't feel like I needed it. The water felt warm. The ocean could not have been more perfect for this race! Nice and smooth! The only problem was the sun which was in our eyes trying to sight the first 2 buoys. My goggles also fogged up when I started to swim so had to fix that.
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on sighting. I think I swam a lot further than I should have because coming back in I kept drafting to the right instead of going straight. Next time I need to pick a taller object to sight. I chose the finish line to focus on but it was too short my visual kept getting lost in the waves. I also had to pee for most of the swim! I never realized how difficult it is to pee when swimming hard. Lesson learned - pee first!
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s

I need to improve on this but don't know how! I felt like I was going as fast as possible. Need to practice more?
Bike
  • 1h 15m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

At about halfway back, a huge pack of cyclists passed me. They were so nice! They made sure to stay out of the way and kept telling us we were doing great. One guy even gave me a pointer to go up a gear which I did and it made a huge difference! Maybe cyclists don't hate triathletes...

I realized at the turn around that going out we had been riding with the wind. Going back we were against it. I think I would have gone faster going out to compensate for the wind coming back. I also need to get my bike re-fitted. My butt hurt so bad I had to stand periodically to rest it. And, I need to make sure I am in the correct gear, like the cyclist said. I expected to avg. at least 20 mph on bike so am slightly disappointed with my performance on this portion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Run
  • 48m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run to date! I have never averaged below 8 min/mi before. I trained perfectly for getting my run faster and ran way faster than I expected! This is the first race I have held my place in the run. I started the run in 4th for women and ended it in 4th!

Absolutely nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching, FOOD! Went home, laid down on couch, and finally caught the cold I'd been suppressing for 2 days. Was it worth it? YES!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It will be interesting to see if being sick had any effect on this race, but I don't think it did, at least not physically. Mentally I felt a little cloudy.

Event comments:

All the volunteers were so enthusiastic and helpful. It made for a great time! I was very impressed at the organization because 3 races were going on at once: sprint, oly, and HIM. I will do this race again next year but might go for the HIM instead!

Last updated: 2011-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:22 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/54
Overall: 24/154
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle swim with the out and in being much longer than the portion that ran parallel to the beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:30 | 24.85 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Overall: 56/154
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful out and back, smooth roads. Went over a long, flat bridge that had a slight climb on either end.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:15 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Overall: 34/154
Performance: Good
Course: Again, beautiful course! It ran through a wooded state park, almost all shade, mostly flat. LOVED this run!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-18 9:02 AM

User image

Florida
Subject: Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon

2011-10-18 2:36 PM
in reply to: #3728084

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: RE: Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon
Good Job out there Sunday. I did the Olympic too and had the same difficulties you had on the swim- that sun made it hard to spot the bouys. (I should have brought my tinted goggles). The headwind from the turn around point back to transition was tough on the legs!
Way to hold up on the run.
2011-10-18 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3728739

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Great race! Way to talk yourself out of being sick. There is plenty of time for that after the race.
I did the half and had the same issues. Never saw the first 2 buoys on the way out and just turned when I saw everyone else turn.
2011-10-18 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3728084

Pearland, Ohio

Nice job! I did the HIM...first one ever.  It was challenging, but you can do it!  I really liked the course, and like you said for your race, the volunteers were amazing!

Hope you feel better soon!  Good luck!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ameliaman Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed