United States
She Rox
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 38s
Overall Rank = 526/582
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 68/74
Pre-race routine:

I should first start by explaining. I wasnt supposed to go to this race (instead be out of town the whole weekend and not make it) but I happened to mention to my mom that there was a super-sprint at this race and she wanted to do it. She has been there to support me at my other three races so I felt bad for letting her go by herself so I changed my other plans and decided to do this race. When we noticed that my wave started 42 minutes ahead of hers (she was doing half the distance) it became a matter of who was going to be whom to the finish line. I knew I was going to have to do well.
We drove to San Diego (2hrs) on Saturday and arrived just in time for the last of the pre-race talks at 3pm. Went to the condo to hang out for a few hours and dinner. Woke up around 5:15am and was in transition around 5:45am. Should have been there earlier, I was one of the last bikes racked for a 7am start and it was tight. Ate a few crackers and drank some gatorade. Probably didnt eat enough. Set up transition and hit restrooms.
Event warmup:

Not much warm up. Put on wetsuit. That takes enough effort. I was wave #5 so the waves in front of me went quick. I am used to starting last!
Swim
  • 17m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 09s / 100 yards
Comments:

Dont know what was wrong with me on this swim. I feel like I should have been about 3-5minutes faster. Horrible sighting of bouys, took a left at one bouy that I should have just veered a bit left on. Goggles fogged. Could not seem to find a rhythm, dont know why.
What would you do differently?:

Last time I swam was Tri-Rock. I rely on my high school swimming to get me through the swim portion but I need more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Coming out of the water, I was beat. Kept up a jog the entire way to my transition but it took all I had to pull the wetsuit off my shoulders. Just took an extra minute to get my HR down. First time using Yankz and Its awesome not having to tie shoe laces.

Nothing that I could have done. Just get what I needed done and get out on the bike
Bike
  • 51m 44s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The first couple of miles I just felt like I was sick. My pace was super slow on the East side of the Island. Just kept telling myself to keep pedaling. Wind seemed to be hitting on that side. As I got to the other side of the Island, my speed picked up, I felt like I had gotten into a rhythm, but as I circled around for the second lap, I felt myself slow again and pick up on the East Side of the Island again. I am just going to tell myself it was uphill on the one side!

Drink a little more gatorade. I actually felt better after I forced myelf to drink.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

No Room again to Rack. Seems to be what happens. Moved two bikes over and got mine in. Helmet off, hat on and off running. Side Stitches on way out, so I walked about 100yards and they went away.
Run
  • 40m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew my mom would be close so I tried to keep a good pace. I have been running more and I can feel it helping, but still not enough. As I was running my first lap, I kept looking at the people I passed hoping she wasnt ahead of me, but didnt see her. I rounded that first loop still looking at the people I passed hoping she was behind me (a little healthy competition is good right?!?) Continued to jog/walk until on the way back of the last lap I hear her yell my name! YES I am winning! hah. Finished strong, probably could have jogged a little more.

Still more running training. Figure out what it is that gives me the side stitches as soon as I get off the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, waited for my mom who was just a few minutes behind me. Ate a bananna and drank a bottle of water, took pictures.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I felt like I did better on bike and run, but not on the swim. Need more training of course!

Event comments:

Had a great time. It was awesome to see my mom do a Tri as well. I had some family there and one of them I am going to try to get to do it as well next year!

Last updated: 2011-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:36 | 820 yards | 02m 09s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 0/582
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless
Course: Long, almost triangular course within the harbor between Sea World and Fiesta Island.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:51:44 | 12.43 miles | 14.42 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: From Transition out to Fiesta Island, around two times and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:33 | 03.11 miles | 13m 02s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Run path to and from Fiesta Island. Sprint made two laps.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes