General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Boulder City, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
Total Time = 3h 35m 6s
Overall Rank = 262/365
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 23/30
Pre-race routine:

Drove the bike and figured I'd be in for it. There are a lot of hills and some serious climbing, but I knew that coming into the race. This was my first triathlon in 8.5 years and I picked a tough one for my first Oly distance. I'll admit that the drive freaked me out a bit. In hindsight, that was due to ignorance.
Event warmup:

Arrived way early at 0520 for my 0805 swim start. Filled up the tires and moved the bike to T1. I spent the next hour using the restroom, getting my gear to T1 and mainly walking around to calm the nerves. As mentioned before, this was a very long, very narrow T1 and the Oly's and half's were at the end of the road, which is bad for the barefoot run, but good for the small distance before bike mount. I saw the half's start and 28 mins later the first dude comes trucking up the hill. We all looked at each other in amazement. T1 area was sweet. There were a gazillion triathletes there ~ 800 and the area was full of energy.
Swim
  • 33m 38s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was cold enough that I really didn't warm up during the whole swim but not cold enough that I froze. A wetsuit is on the list of things to buy. We all were pretty excited waiting to start. Standing in the water and waiting for the horn to blow, I was very nervous with this being my first OWS in 8.5 years but I figured I would just stay to the side and swim a normal pace like I have been doing at the YMCA. The horn blasts and in everyone goes. I thought I had the best line to the first buoy but everyone else was to the right of me. Good enough, as I didn't get decked. I passed the first buoy and started hitting the next and some traffic. Not too bad, only a nudge here and there. Every so often people would navigate with a breast stroke so I got some whammys in the rib cage. Here I am, a total newb and I lift my head out of the water to navigate correctly. Once I passed the last buoy to head to the finish the bottlenecking started to happen with people all over the place. I swear I almost broke my toes kicking someone, I had to check to make sure my toes were okay. Another person collided with me on the upstroke of my left arm. I rocked their noggin pretty bad. They apologized before I could say sorry so we both just moved along.
What would you do differently?:

Wetsuit. I will get one soon. Also, I need to tighten my race chip. It was loose and I had to keep checking it to make sure it wasn't falling off. Overall, I was very happy with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 05m 39s
Comments:

Remember, there was a near 1/4 mile barefoot run up to my bike. Everything went great except the near impossible task of putting on a long sleeve Desoto Skin Cooler top. Serious? It took forever... The rest of the transition went fine except for getting on the bike. I changed gears to make sure I could get clipped in on the hill but my left shoe kept falling off. I racked myself twice and mercy it sure hurt. I eventually clipped in and off I went!

Practice clipping in...
Bike
  • 1h 55m 6s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 12.93 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike wasn't as bad as I thought. Now my time was pretty slow but considering that I bought my first roadbike August 6th and have ridden every weekend since, I was happy with my results. When I say it wasn't as bad that is true, but it was still one wicked tough ride. I don't have anything to compare it to race wise, only to my training rides so yes, it was tough. I was told that once you hit the RMT it gets real tough but I thought that that was the easier part (except for the 6% hill at the end...). Turning into the RMT I nearly fell over as I came upon this 17 year old kid riding a mountain bike that decided to get off his platform pedals and stop. Since we were on a hill here I was again trying to clip in. He then grabbed a water at the aid station and drank it while weaving all over the trail. Props to the young kid for doing a sprint tri but pah-leese learn some race manners!

Next year my bike time WILL be better. My training riding up Mt. Lemmon here in Tucson helped out, but with some time, I'll get stronger legs. I was happy with my nutrition and hydration.
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

As fast as I could do it. My only mistake was not making sure the spray sunscreen was unlocked. I couldn't spray any on me and I was too much in a hurry to realize all I had to do was twist the cap.
Run
  • 1h 00m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot, Hot, and more heat. The run was brutal. My legs were fine until the last 2 miles. I drank gatorade and pored water over my head every station. I also thanked the rad volunteers for being there. My left hammy was hurting but not killing me and my right quad was making sure I was aware of its existence.

Dunno. My goal was a 10min per mile which for some may be ultra slow but for me, that's what I wanted.
Post race
Warm down:

There is something very emotional about finishing a race. Enough said.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm happy with my results. I wanted to finish at 3:30:00 and I came really close. Since it's a first that would be a PR for me. Next year I will kill the bike as my goal next year is a straight 3 hours...

Last updated: 2011-10-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:38 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/365
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:55:06 | 24.8 miles | 12.93 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: None
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:44 | 06.21 miles | 09m 47s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-18 12:04 PM

Regular
Tucson
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-10-18 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3728453

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course
Hipster - 2011-10-18 12:04 PM
Nice job! Make no mistake, this is one of the toughest courses out there and the high temps don't help much either!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed