General Discussion Race Reports! » North Face Endurance Challenge 50k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Face Endurance Challenge 50k - RunUltra Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
The North FAce
47F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 44m
Overall Rank = 52/102 M
Age Group = 21-29
Age Group Rank = 12/21
Pre-race routine:

BS and I camped out the night before at FDR state park. We slept head to toe in my new tent, and I slept like a baby. We woke up at 5 to get to the race site on time. Got a little lost on the way there because of bad directions on the race website. Had no food or anything by the time we hit the bus, got changed in the car, grabbed the bus, the bus driver flipped out when she discovered she had missed a dog getting on. Got to event end around 630, then I pounded some coffee, bagel w/ Peanut Butter, a banana half or two, got all my junk together, bib and chip and then got ready to start the race.
Event warmup:

Nothing, maybe some stretching, for running 7 hours, I should've stretched more for sure...
Run
  • 7h 44m
  • 31.07 miles
  • 14m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

The run went really well for the first 22 miles, in fact, I don't think I walked until mile 23 or so...I felt great really, but then everything kind of tumbled down hill. My right knee started hurting terribly around mile 24, on a big uphill section into aid station #5...then, we had a 5.3 mile section to aid station 6, which was absolutely miserable. We cut through this portion of the Park that had terrible tornado damage, so we ran through that twice, once when it was pretty hot, and at that point, I really didn't know if I would finish. The last aid station was a great site, but the race organizers said that was going to be the end, which it wasn't...we had another 1.1 mile stretch down to the end, which still took about a half hour...overall, the race was miserable, but I'm glad I did it...It took forever..BS was great to have along, and we finished together, which was awesome. Still, I don't know if I'll do it again. Actual
What would you do differently?:

Just train more, I felt like I ate really well...just needed to get in more long runs over 20 miles...although if I had done that, I may have injured myself, who knows...
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around a bit, trying to stay loose, soaked my feet in some ice water, which felt good, but kind of hurt a ton...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Long run training, weight...I've gained some...

Event comments:

Overall, a great race, but it was just a little too hard for me...finished right in the middle of the pack...

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
07:44:00 | 31.07 miles | 14m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 52/102 M
Performance: Below average
Course: Hard to describe, all through FDR state park, actual route on the participant guide saved under my pictures...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes