General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Wilmington, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 38m 10s
Overall Rank = 508/544
Age Group = 55
Age Group Rank = 20/21
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I drove in from the upstate of South Carolina Thursday. It was a beutiful day when when arrived in Wilmington, 80 degrees and sunny. I had already looked at the weather forcast for Saturday and chose to ignore it. My wife and I went to the prerace dinner after we were registered. Jeremy had a little program to remind us that we woul suffer big time on Saturday. I had no idea he was talking about the weather which would add it's own charm to the race. After I dropped off the bike and gear bags Friday we just toured Wilmington and Wrightsville.

Saturday morning I got out of bed about 430am but could have gotten up at anytime as I did not sleep. I had a bowl of oatmeal, bannana, and OJ. The bus transported everyone to T1 and was a great use of five dollars. I had plenty of time and placed my flip flops at the fence at Sea Path marina. I thought to myself wow the temp is not that bad.
Event warmup:

I wrestled with my wetsuit when we arrived at the start. Somehow the zipper got stuck and another athelete helped me get it loose.
Swim
  • 30h 43m
  • 2078 yards
  • 1h 28m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is what I do well. I was very disapointed with my swim time. Fog decended on Banks channel just as the 55 age group went off. My plan was to get away from the pack so I could do my thing and get off to a great start. After I seperated from the pack I could not get a bearing on anything. All I could see was fog. I just started swimming and new that the current would carry me downstream. The first thing I new I was over by the marsh grass and a kayaker was paddling over pointing with his paddle to direct me back on course. I changed direction. The next thing I found was the ground tackle of the big sailboat that was anchored up in the turn. I new the turn buoy was on his stern so I set out to find it. At the turn I could not see Sea Path, there seems to be a theme here. As I was blindly swimming towards Sea Path I encountered a swimmer that was on their back gasping so I stopped to make sure she was ok. The swimer calmed down after a couple of minutes and off I went. Good deed for the day done. I finally found Sea Path and the great wet suit strippers.
What would you do differently?:

I would bring my clear goggles and just stay with the pack. I would have saved a lot of energy just floating along while burning no energy. I did enjoy the adventure though. Banks channel showed me who was in charge.
Transition 1
  • 16m 40s
Comments:

Now ya'll know I was there just to finish. I got my flip flops and had a leisurely stroll over to T1 I made it a point to speak to every volunteer, police, etc that I encountered on the way to T1 and thru out the rest of the day. At T1 I put on my Armour, bike shorts, gloves and rain jacket. I thought I was over dressed compared to what most of the people were wearing but this was my race plan and I was not deviating. Turned out to be a great decision. I texted my wife I was on the bike and away we went.

Nothing. We were given nine hours to finish and I was going to get my moneies worth.
Bike
  • 3h 25m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.39 mile/hr
Comments:

First ten miles were cold but not too bad then we got up on I40. It started to rain and blow and just plain be miserable. I was staying fairly warm but working very hard to keep moving forward in the wind. I kept thinking about all the people that were much tougher than me and had almost no clothes on. I figured they were miserable. At the end of I40 at the bridge the wind really picked up along with the rain and then sleet. I thought I was just delirous about the sleet. At the aid station others were talking about the sleet and how cold they were. If others saw sleet then it must have happened. At the aid station a teenager made a funny remark which turned out to be the truth. He promised it would be sunny and warm by lunch but we would have to catch our lunch on the bike. The rest of ride out was into the wind but the trees helped a lot. At the turn around the wind subsided a lot and got behind me for a very quick ride into town. The Heed at the third age station was mixed exactly to my liking.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 07m 2s
Comments:

The bike catchers were great and so were the gear bag retrievers. My bike was scooped before I even missed my phone in the seat bag. I was studying the layout getting oriented to where my bag might be when a volunteer ran up to me with my bag and pointed me to the tent. As I took off for the run I found my great wife who was yelling for me. I went over gave her a kiss and thanked her for letting me do this craziness. Remember I was there to finish and to have a good time.

Nothing.
Run
  • 3h 18m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I had hurt my calf three weeks ago and was not going to take any chances hurting myself. My plan was to walk 15 minutes before I tried to run one step. During this walk lots of people kept telling me I could make it and to just hang in there. I guess I looked old compared to all of the 30 something people. Little did they know this was my plan. My leg felt tight so i gradually decreased my walking and increased my running time on the course. I still kept getting a lot of encouragement that I could make it. I knew I was on track to finish so I was happy. I did visit every rent a john on the course except one. I had drank too much and continued to drink at every aid station as the chicken broth was great. The aid station by the PPD building had donuts and I got several of them. I finished my run on 15 minute miles which good for me since I had to stop every mile to make sure the rent a johns were in good order. I also did not want to get hurt and DNF. At the finish my wife was there waiting for me.

Nothing. I was just enjoying my stroll.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a hot dog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I enjoyed the aid stations and volutneers too much. I was there to have a good time.

Event comments:

Jeremy did a great job putting this race together. I have nothing to compare it to as this was my first half and only my third triathalon but I enjoyed it. I could tell that a huge amount of effort had been put into the race. All of the people no matter their role were friendly and extremely helpful. I liked the area and the course. The weather was a challenge but that is fine as the weather adds to the charm of the race. You never know what you are going to get. I hope that I will be able to do the whole next year. Thanks to all who helped make this race succesful.

Last updated: 2011-11-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
30:43:00 | 2078 yards | 1h 28m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 339/544
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Light chop on the water with fog
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 16:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:25:00 | 56 miles | 16.39 mile/hr
Overall: 0/544
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Flat, wet, windy and cold.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:18:00 | 13.1 miles | 15m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 518/544
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-02 8:52 AM

Subject: Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Beach2Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed