Mississippi Track Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 19/38
Age Group = Male
Age Group Rank = 16/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and drank some water and had a hammer gel because it was the only thing in the house I felt I could hold down while I ran. Drove to the race site.
Event warmup:

Bought some new shoes yesterday and hadn't run in them yet so I put them on and ran for probably 3-4 min. Went back to the car and put on my old shoes and ran a bit in them. They felt pretty crappy :) so I went ahead and decided to run in the new ones. Stretched pretty well.
Run
  • 26m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I probably started out too fast.. at least thats what it felt like at the time. I think overall I paced myself pretty well although I probably could have run a little harder overall. I never really felt like I got in my groove so the race overall didn't feel that great. I've been working on my stride a lot lately and with the new shoes and all the folks around I was having trouble getting my stride to feel like I wanted it to. I think after about the first mile and a half when the crowd thinned out I settled down and started to feel like I wanted. When I turned the corner to head down the chute I looked up at the clock and it read 25:30 or something like that.. I pushed hard at the end to finish below 26:00 but there was a dude in front of me who I couldn't get around. (the chute was pretty small) My watch said 26:00 but the official time could be a little slower.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure much. I feel like my negatives here had less to do with things that I had control over. Maybe If I started running more in the morning I'll feel more in my element next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and huffed and puffed.. got some gatorade and had a banana. Stretched some..

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My inability to find my groove and that guy at the chute that i couldn't get around :)

not much really.. I'm very pleased with my time.

Event comments:

The race was good.. it wasn't very big.. The atmosphere was fun. It was held the morning of a carnival at the church so the mood was very happy and the people were all excited.

I enjoyed it!

Last updated: 2005-09-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:00 | 03.11 miles | 08m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/23
Overall: 19/38
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty much an out and back along J.R. Lynch street having to navagate 360 degrees around three different round-a-bouts. perfectly flat with one small hill
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-01 9:47 AM

User image

Expert
Jackson, Mississippi
Subject: Run for The King

2005-10-02 12:24 PM
in reply to: #257488

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Run for The King
Great Job Will. You have crushed my 5K PR. Come on down to Gulf Shores on the 15th for the Reverse Duathlon!
2005-10-02 8:54 PM
in reply to: #257488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
Subject: RE: Run for The King
Great job on the PR!!   I can only dream of running that fast <sigh>...practice, practice, practice.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Run for The King Rss Feed