McKinney, Texas
United States
Playtri
Total Time = 1h 43m 52s
Overall Rank = 288/464
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 33/42
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5AM, ate a bagel and peanut butter (this is what everyone else does, right?).
Event warmup:

Not much. Just some light stretching.
Swim
  • 19m 48s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OW swim ever. I played it safe and started about 2/3'rds in the back and to the right. This turned out to be a bad idea.

I was very passive and instead of "battling" and passing, when I reached someone, I'd breaststroke/treaded water to come up with a plan. Well, it turned out that I did have any real plan and so I passed very few. Also, stopping and breastroking/treading really consumed alot of energy. I found that when I did get into my freestyle, I did real well and felt comfortable. Unfortunately, I don't think I ever continuously freesytled for more than 50 yards. All of the stopping and starting really took alot of energy. So, I pretty much exited the water about 2/3'rds in the field.

I also choked on water twice when trying to regroup.

I do feel that I could have easily kept a 2:15 /100m pace if I would have freestyled the entire swim. Oh, well, I'll get better at this.
What would you do differently?:

I really need more experience with OW swims, especially with people all around.
Transition 1
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

Long (some say 1/4 mi, but I think it was more like .15 mi) run from swim exit to transition area. I really didn't rush (obviously) and talked to a few others in transistion while putting on shirt/shoes/helmet/glasses, etc. I really wanted to be sure I had everything.

Not much, I still have the all-for-fun attitude, so I wasn't rushing though it.
Bike
  • 41m 24s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my second tri and my second in which my shoestring got caught in my chain. This time, however, I made sure they were tucked in my shoes but I guess they came out. I had to pull off the road and take care of it. Also had to wait a bit before re-entering the course since there were so many dang bikes on the course.

The course had many turns and 4 u-turns with many cyclists on the course. Several times I had to slow down to allow the faster cyclists to pass me before I could get around the cyclist in front of me. Also, the course was quite hilly compared to what I'm used to, but I knew that ahead of time and didn't really pose a problem.

I pass quite a few and was passed by many. About what I expected.

Either get clipless pedals/shoes or get some yankz type laces.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Since I already had my running shoes on, this was pretty quick. 6'th in my AG.
Run
  • 36m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was quite hilly compared to what I'm used to. Basically, I have not ever trained on anything but flat surfaces.

The course was advertised as a 5k, but shows 3.5mi in the results. There was a half-mile section through a neighborhood that the volenteers were directing the Sprint runners through that I think was for the Oly only. Looking on the run map provided prior to the race, this section was not there and no mention was made in the pre-race meeting about a change.

The hills killed my calves. I don't think the hills were really bad, but I never run on any type of hills. My calves were tight and in pain after about mile 1 and did not let up. I walked the water statoins and did a little stretching, but it didn't help.

Aside from the course change/error, I did OK althogh slow. My HR decreased over the run due to my legs not being able to push my heart.

With about .1 mi to go, someone came up behind me and told me to push it to the end. I ran with him at about a fast pace and it actually felt good. Looking back on it, the end was completly flat, so that may have been why it felt good.

Add hills to training.
Post race
Event comments:

This was only my second tri, so I don't have alot of experience to base my opinions on, but here goes

First, I think this was a HUGE event and it was run very well. Here is what I think could have been better:
1) There was no drink stations setup prior to the race. I expected to be able to get water prior to the start, so I didn't bring any for pre-race. It was announced, though, that there was a water fountain which I used.

2) The sprint run course was not what was given. This didn't bother me much, but it did throw me off a little (and add to my time).

Again, I'm still amazed it went as smoothly as it did and I give big props to Tri-Mania for the event.

Last updated: 2005-09-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:48 | 820 yards | 02m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 30/42
Overall: 323/464
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:24 | 12.43 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/42
Overall: 245/464
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The distance was advertised as 12.43 miles, but the results show it at 12 miles which put me at a 17.4 mph pace.Either way, I'm happy with the time.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:22 | 03.11 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/464
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-10-02 10:15 PM

User image

, Texas
Subject: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short

2005-10-03 5:28 AM
in reply to: #257961

User image

Veteran
Wichita, KS
Subject: RE: Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short
Congratulations!!! I was there, too, I'm sorry I didn't get to meet up with you! I'm not sure if you heard, but there was a volunteer directing people the wrong way during the 5k...if you went into a neighborhood loop that was not on the map, that wasn't the way we were supposed to go. It was extremely aggrevating, because they even had yellow arrows! Anyway, I thought it would add distance, and I guess it was about .4 of a mile.

Congrats again, and hope to see you next time!
2005-10-03 7:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Nice race.  That first open water seem can be quite intimidating.  Looks like you handled it well. 
2005-10-03 12:03 PM

User image

, Texas
It took me a while to figure it out, but I knew the run course got messed up on the turn into the neighborhood, especially when we were done with it, we came right back to where we entered. I actually had a GPS and have it tracked out, but I wasn't paying attention to it during the run. I've got a total of 3.6 mi for the run with the stint through the neighborhood being right at .5 mi.

I don't mind running the extra bit, but I was mentally beat when my 1 - 2 mile split was so huge. It made me doubt my pace/condition. I also swear that I heard 5k left, 10k straight three times and verified this against the markings on the sidewalk, but I wasn't absolutely sure that was the case. My memory has been re-assured now.

I meant to look for some of the BT folks and I even looked for the flag before the start, but I was pretty occupied the entire time.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon-Short Rss Feed