Time Out Production
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 11s
Overall Rank = 430/525
Age Group = under 24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, ate breakfast (a bagel with tofutti better than cream cheese), and drank water. Used restroom, double-checked list, did some wake-up stretching. Arrived at the race a little after 6, where we used the bathroom, then set up our tranisition areas, and got our numbers written on us (which made us feel really hardcore!)
Event warmup:

Around 7:15 I jogged 10 minutes, stretched, felt nervous. At 7:45 we made our way to the water to put our cap and goggles on, and feel how cold it was.
Swim
  • 27m 1s
  • 1250 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were so many people, I was pretty passive the whole time. I just let people pass me to avoid getting kicked or hit. I also swallowed a bunch of water due to the wind and waves.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I'll be more aggressive, and go after my pace right away. I think I was so nervous that I backed off a lot, which cost me minutes.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

Layout was good, not sure I could have done much differently. I just dried off my face and feet, put on my socks and shoes, then my camelback, then helmet, gloves, and sunglasses, and jogged out of the tranisition area.

No camel back, just water bottles
Bike
  • 1h 31m 52s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 16.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great! I rode harder and faster than I have in any of my training rides, and felt awesome. The climbs were hard, and I'm really slow uphills, but the rest of it felt really good. I could have pushed it a little harder the last 5 miles, but I was starting to get nervous about the run.

More hill work so I can fly up them like the pros in their fancy gear and expensive bikes! Also, work hard until only a mile or two left, not 5. I went easy on myself at the beginning and end, and that cost time.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I could have racked my bike faster, but otherwise it went smoothly.

No camel back, and rack faster.
Run
  • 46m 17s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt like lead getting off the bike, but I still ran the first mile in 8 minutes! After that my IBS took over and I spent the rest of the run contemplating ducking into the woods, or asking one of the campers staffing the aid stations where a bathroom was, but then convincing myself to keep running and just finish! Even though I felt like crap (or like I had to crap), I still finished just over my goal time for the run, so I'm very happy with that.

Start taking more Imodium the day before, instead of the day of. I could have picked up the pace had it not been for my stomach problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Bathroom break! Walked around a little, stretched a little. I should have stretched a lot more!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own fear of buring out and not finishing, and my IBS. If I can get those things under control I think I can go a lot faster.

Event comments:

I had a great time and a great race! It was my first one, and now I'm hooked!

Last updated: 2004-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:01 | 1250 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/525
Performance: Average
Suit: TYR two-piece workout bikini
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:31:52 | 24.5 miles | 16.00 mile/hr
Overall: 431/525
Wind: Little
Course: A hilly, but scenic route through the hills of Vermont. The first couple miles were rolling/uphill, then after a short downhill there is a mile long gradual but continuous climb. Then it was mostly flat and downhill for the next 10 miles, and I flew! I found speed I hadn't used in any of my training rides. With 10 miles to go there is a brutal 8% grade climb a mile long, but then it is a long and steep downhill, followed by an easy coast into the tranisition area.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:17 | 05 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 451/525
Course: Genly rolling, but mostly flat and shady loop around Lake Morey. Very nice run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes