General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ramadan fasting and working out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-19 10:08 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: ramadan fasting and working out
I am doing a lecture tonight on fitness for our mountaineering school.  It's going to be awesome.  Last night was a stair session and one of the students is fasting this month for ramadan.  His effort and times showed.  I was not at the session to provide guidance for teh first workout, but I am wondering if others agree with me...

For the remainder of this month, this student should be doing ONLY very low intensity workouts to maintain an aerobic base, and even at that, I would suggest he do so in the evening when he can refeul after sunset.  I don't think he should be doing any wieght lifting or any interval activity or anthing requiring a Z3 HR or greater.

Do others agree?  Has there been any literature or concensus on this?

THanks,
Suzanne

2005-10-19 10:52 AM
in reply to: #268134

User image

Extreme Veteran
coastal NC
Subject: RE: ramadan fasting and working out
I don't know about training intensity, but I fasted during Ramadan while I lived in Indonesia, just to join my friends, and I can tell you I was exhausted all the time. REALLY low energy, and I was just trying to work, not train at all. And even after I ate, I don't know how much I could have been doing, exercise-wise.

Good luck, and good for you to be thinking about it for him!

2005-10-19 10:53 AM

Veteran
Dallas, Texas
As I recall, there was an NBA player (I forget his name) in the 90s who fasted for Ramadan and still worked out and played in games. You may be able to find some articles about him.

Bill

P.S. It's probably a good idea to capitalize the "R" in Ramadan since it's a religious holiday.
2005-10-19 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland

I'm married to a Muslim wife and have lived in Turkey and Morocco so have some experience with Ramadan fasting.  I recommend you speak with the individual to learn what his eating habits are during that period.  Sure, he's fasting.  But after he breaks fast after sundown, when does he eat next?  If it's not until the next sundown then it probably makes sense to do what training he can in the evening.  However, some Muslims will eat again before going to bed, and/or again before sunup.  Under that scenario, it might make more sense for him to do his training in the morning.  I'm sure you know more about effective training regimens and nutrition than I do, so I'll defer to you on how to advise him.  I'ld be curious as to how he handles training this month, so please post an update.

2005-10-19 11:49 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
So I talked to him tonight and it turns out that he eats a meal after sunset and before sunrise.  He expressed concern that he is losing fitness because he hasn't worked out in 2 weeks.  He normally does 3 30 minute sessions on a stair machine.  After the lecture where we discussed different training zones and measuring intensity including the RPE scale,  I suggested that he do only very light, Zone 1-2 or RPE less than 11 workouts for the remainder of the month, and I suggested that he do these in the morning after he eats his sunrise meal.

He's going to try this for the next 2 weeks, I'll let you know how it works.  In the meantime I'll give him the information about the basketball player. 

Thanks.
2005-10-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #268212

Pro
SMUJD - 2005-10-19 10:53 AM

As I recall, there was an NBA player (I forget his name) in the 90s who fasted for Ramadan and still worked out and played in games. You may be able to find some articles about him.

That would probably be Hakeem Olajuwon.

Edited by Opus 2005-10-20 8:19 AM

2005-10-20 9:53 AM
in reply to: #268841

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
A Muslim friend also tells me that one can fulfill the fast by feeding the poor.  She said you need to feed something like ten people.

Not sure how accurate that information is.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ramadan fasting and working out Rss Feed