General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An ignorant question from an Ohioan for Floridians Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-09-21 9:30 PM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: An ignorant question from an Ohioan for Floridians
Another Floridian checking in! The old saying here in NWFL is if it's bigger than a mud puddle there's gators and snakes in it. That being said, those Tri series in central FL in Clermont area have long and solid reputations. Would I just go our for an early AM solo swim in any lake in FL? NO. Night swim by myself or for any reason? NO. Well run Tri with hundreds of others in daylight? Not an issue. There will not be an issue of gators. Biggest problem for you would be training all spring up north and getting punched in face with 85 degrees and 90% humidity on race day. Other than that, good luck and enjoy.

2013-09-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: Bradleykd

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Bradleykd This cracks me up. An 8 year old thread being resurected by a 4 year old news article... lol

Saw this thread and thought "Hey, Bettylou's back!". 

Nope, she still hasn't logged on since 2009...

Mark

2013-09-24 7:44 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Regular
Originally posted by cwpeters

If the water is salty, it has sharks.
If the water is fresh, it has alligators.
Either way, if something touches your foot, you'll set a new PR on the swim.

^ This ^
2013-09-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: isyphoto

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Also, regardless of if you can see them or not, if you are in the ocean, you are never very far from sharks. I talked to rescue divers at IMFL last year and they saw sharks right in middle of swim course. They are not interested in hundreds of thrashing triathletes apparently.
2013-09-24 9:43 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Melbourne, Florida
Gators also swim in the ocean. We have plenty in the Indian River Lagoon and they sometimes cross A1A onto the Atlantic Ocean. In Florida, if there's water, it's very likely that there's a gator in it.

But, the reality is that they're stalkers and won't head toward a pack of splashing people. I would be more concerned with amoeba in Florida lakes.
2013-09-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Originally posted by Bradleykd This cracks me up. An 8 year old thread being resurected by a 4 year old news article... lol

Saw this thread and thought "Hey, Bettylou's back!". 

Nope, she still hasn't logged on since 2009...

Mark

Ha ha, I didn't notice the date of the OP!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » An ignorant question from an Ohioan for Floridians Rss Feed  

of 2