United States
USMC
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 28s
Overall Rank = ???/ALOT
Age Group = Individual Male
Age Group Rank = 130/235
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and had a Sweet 'n' Salty Nut Granola Bar. Yeah, I did those Sweat 'n' Salty Nuts. Got dressed groggily and BethanyGN and I grabbed our (unpacked) bags and headed downstairs to meet the other UTA ROTC participants.
Event warmup:

Seemed like none of the uniformed people were cool enough to stretch, which I found silly. I found out quickly that individual participants are definately in the minority at this race. I met up with a few and we all stretched together up near the start. Thoroughly enjoyed our National Anthem and the low altitude F-16 fly-by.
Run
  • 1h 28m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I. Loved. This. Race.

I will forever do this race each year. I found that my running (which i never seem to log on BT) has paid off quite a bit and I actually enjoyed putting on those miles this race. I rarely walked and my run pace consistently had me passing others. The obstacles were fun incarnate. We were just so damn muddy! Lots of pain in the feet near the end, but oh so worth it.
What would you do differently?:

So many things. Eat a proper breakfast for one. I am sure I could have gone faster if I had more fuel. Cut out my pockets so no water/mud accrues in them. Probably wear gloves to keep the hands a bit more warm. Maybe bring goggles. I saw a number of guys in swimming goggles, but I am unsure of how useful they might truly be.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my race time, turned it into the timekeeper, pulled off my shirt and headed right back out onto the course at a run. I could not believe how much energy I had this whole day! I ran the course with no shortcuts (of course not doing the obstacles again) back to the pipe to wait for Bethany and her ROTC team. I wanted to pace them back to the finish. I had to wait at the pipe because if I passed the pipe over land I could miss them had they been in the pipe at the same time. That was about 2 Miles there, and then the 2 Miles at a brisk pace that I paced them back. Afterward BethanyGN and I stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No knowledge of the course, not having my gear set up the way some of the pro's did.

Event comments:

For what it is, a race put on the Marines in the mud, it does so very well. They had vitamin water and music and BEER afterward. Pretty damn champ if I say so myself.

Last updated: 2005-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:28 | 06.21 miles | 14m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 130/235
Overall: 0/ALOT
Performance: Good
Course: Course. Heh. That was the name of the game. 15 Main obstacles, traversed twice on an out-and-back setup, with two remaining obstacles at the finish. Basically open field running (very slightly rolling hills, much of it flat) interspersed with Marine-style obstacles. The course map is here: http://mudrundfw.com/links/2005%20map.JPG
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-20 1:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Marine Corps Mud Run
hmm, none of the photos at the site (all 7 of them..) are of me or anyone i know, so screw that. i took some pics of the UTA ROTC group there, if Bethany gives me any of them i'll post 'em.

Edited by turqy 2005-10-20 1:08 PM

2005-10-21 7:25 PM
in reply to: #269087

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Mud Run
Sounds like it was a blast!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Mud Run Rss Feed