General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Half-Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
Detroit Free Press / Flagstar Bank
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 36s
Overall Rank = 547/4039
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 57/291
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 AM and showered to wake up.
Breakfast: bowl of oatmeal and cup of coffee.
Surfed the web checking weather reports during breakfast. I was in between running gear based on the temp.
Left house by 6:00 AM.
Event warmup:

Immediately went to stand in line for the bathroom. Managed to do some stretching in line. I ran a bit just before getting in line to start.
Jumped over the barrier to begin run at the desired pace since there was no way I was getting in line before the gun went off. lol. It seems there were more people with that same thought.
Run
  • 1h 47m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Enjoyable. The run up the Ambasador Bridge at sunrise was inspirational. Though it seemed to be more than the advertised 5% grade. The run along Rinverside in Windsor was very scenic with the City of Detroit to the north. Tunnel mile was warm. The finish on Ford Field was nice. Though coming down the tunnel to the field was rough.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I may have picked up my pace sooner than I did. But, I was quite pleased with my effort. I should have incorporated a few hill workouts. The run up to the top of the brigde was more than I anticipated.
Post race
Warm down:

A volunteer place a medal around my neck. I had the chip cut off my shoe. I found a place to stretch and call my wife, daugther, and father-in-law who were in the stands.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More base/speed training.

Event comments:

This was my first half-marathon. I have already told myself I am doing another half and a full next year. Very pleasurable experience.

Last updated: 2005-10-10 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:36 | 13.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 57/291
Overall: 547/4039
Performance: Good
I did not want to know my HR. It prolly would have scared me. lol. Maybe not. I took lap times and never had one over 8:40. The quickest was running down the bridge. I was under 7:20. Wow.
Course: Mostly flat course through the city of Detoit and Windsor, Ontario. Over the Ambasador Bridge and back through the Windsor Tunnel with a finish on Ford Field.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-24 10:06 AM

User image

Shelby Township, MI
Subject: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Half-Marathon

2005-10-24 3:02 PM
in reply to: #271051

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Half-Marathon
nice job on your first half.  i, too, thought the bridge was pretty darn steep, and it seemed to take FOREVER!  but overall it was a very neat course.
2005-10-24 11:12 PM
in reply to: #271051

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Detroit Free Press/Flagstar Bank Half-Marathon Rss Feed