Envirosports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate oatmeal, drank tea, got into Jeep, drove to Napa Co.
Event warmup:

Jogged from Jeep to restrooms, my feet and calves felt tight, and my right foot was a little sore. I didn't think anything of it at the time.
Run
  • 1h 28m 33s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 14m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

OK, so I started out good, and had every intention of running as much as possible, but then the first serious uphill arrived and I walked. Actually, I stopped for about 30 seconds to catch my breath before I started to walk.

Somewhere along one of slight downhills spots between steep uphills, I turned my left ankle and fell. Nothing serious, and I got up and continued running. A little later, I full-on twisted my right ankle and fell. OK, a little more serious, as I could feel that I sprained my ankle, although only slightly. I tested a few running steps on it and it didn't hurt, so I kept running, albeit a bit more cautiously.

I remember from doing this race a year and a half ago, there was a volunteer whose only job was to stand at the top of the steepest downhill and say, "Be careful, steep downhill." She wasn't there this time. And that steep downhill surprised me (it's around a corner and you're practically on it before you know it). I watched a woman two people ahead of me slid on her butt. Then, I watched as the man in front of me did the same. And yet, I continued running down at the same speed, only to do the same thing myself! Hahaha. I just laughted and crab-crawled the rest of the way down. I figured that way if I fell again, it wouldn't be so far to fall.

There were no mile markers, so I just had to guess how far I'd gone and how fast I was going. I felt as though I was holding a faster pace than the last time I'd raced this course, but I couldn't be sure. So, when I was out of the steep sections, I pushed as hard as I could.

I'm happy to say that I trimmed nearly 17 minutes off my time! Nice work!
What would you do differently?:

Not trip?
Post race
Warm down:

I hobbled around the parking area. As soon as I stopped running, my calves and my feet got very stiff. Little did I know at the time, but I had developed, during this run, a fallen arch in my right foot, not related to my fall (see note about pain in my foot during my warmup).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall strength and ability to run uphill, and stability and ability to run downhill and not fall down.

Event comments:

I enjoy the Envirosports series, mainly because they're in such beautiful places. And the organizer is so cool and casual.

Last updated: 2005-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:28:33 | 06.21 miles | 14m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
177 bpm average
Course: "Babbling streams will be your soundtrack as you challenge yourself on the lush singletrack within Bothe-Napa Valley State Park." Yeah. "Challenge" is the correct word here. It's hard. Uphills and downhills are steep, and many parts of the trail are rocky (like small boulders), while other parts are soft and loamy and somewhat slippery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes