Run Wild
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 00m 30s
Overall Rank = 109/156
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 17/21
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express...but it didn't seem to help. Ate half a cliff bar put on BRtri Uniform and an UnderArmor long sleeve over that to help keep warm...temp was 45 when we left the hotel.
Event warmup:

Virtually no warm up. I jogged about 100 yards total but it was to cold to warm up (if that makes any sense).
Swim
  • 18m 15s
  • 833 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

Okay, first I want to say that it was a time trial start. We went off by numbers ever 10 seconds. I was #133 but that put me about 60 from the first person as alot of people didn't show up due to the temp (I'm guessing). It was COLD. When I jumped into the water it took my breath away...and I don't mean that figuratively. For me it was uncontrollable hyperventalation every time I tried to put my face in the water. In the first 50-100 meters I considered swimming to the bank and DNFing.

I'm no wussy but this was worse than anything I had experienced. Sure, I had a wet suit on but it didn't help when I tried to get a stroke going. The first 400 meters I did mostly the Tarzan swim.

After I rounded the bouy to head back I forced myself to keep my face in the water and I got a good stroke going. I even passed a few people (and dodged a few that crossed the imaginary line that separated the people going out and coming back.

My sighting was great (imagine that). Swimming with your head out of the water can really help with navigation.

I am confident that next season my swimming will not be a weak point. I could knock off 2 min easily if the water temp cooperates. And a wet suit will make it all the more easy.
What would you do differently?:

Hmmmmm, I would probably force myself to get in the water and get acclimated. After all I did manage to salvage my swim on the way back.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

T1 was good. I wasn't tired at all and I was so glad to be out of the water! I tood a little extra time in T1 for two reasons. First, I borrowed the wet suit I was wearing and was very careful taking it off and putting it up safely. Second I had an extra towel and dried myself off pretty good. I decided that the bike would really be cold if I went out wet. I am glad I did now.

The exit to the bike course starts with a hill....not a big hill but shit it was a hill. I set my gears to an easy spin before the race.... It surprized the hell out of me to see Jantzi at the top of the hill.

Nothing. It was a little long for a transition but the temp was extenuating circumstances.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 52s
  • 20 miles
  • 17.42 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was fairly uneventful. I did have to come to a complete stop at traffic light TWICE! It was a small intersection but there were cars coming and the had the green light so I just stopped.

The highway was smooth but the roads leading up to it were rough. I am gun-shy when it comes to flats (see previous race reports) and all that jarring makes me cringe.

My front brakes started rubbing so I just flipped them open and used the rear brakes.

My feet were totally numb at this point but I had a rock in my left shoe. It didn't hurt but I could feel the pressure when I would pedal. I just kept moving my foot around so the rock would be in diffrent parts of the shoe.

I will be very glad when I get a true triathlon bike. I'm sick of the KHS now.

Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

T1 was pretty good. I really hadn't gone all out on the bike so there was no real recovery. Slipped on running shoes and left. My feet were still numb so I walked up the stairs to that get you to road level because I was worried I would trip.

Nada
Run
  • 29m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I took it pretty easy on the run. At first it was because my feet were numb. I looked down at my shoes a couple time as I crossed the bridge to be sure I had changed from my cycling shoes to my running shoes because it felt like I was running with boards tied to my feet.

I hadn't drank any water the whole race so I did grab one of those little cups of water. My feet finally did thaw out a little on the way back in. But it was a nice easy run....

Maybe wear socks? but I'm not sure that would have helped.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit and got some food and beer.

Event comments:

This was the State Club Championship race. We managed to hold on to the title even though several of our heavy hitters were MIA due to recent or up-comming Ironman's.

I really had fun once it warmed up. All the people were great. Lots of people to cheer you on at the end. I will definately do this one next year but hopefully it will not be derailed and rescheduled due to any crazy hurricanes!

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:15 | 833 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 0/156
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion Sleeveless Wetsuit
Course: Out and back
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 50F / 10C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:52 | 20 miles | 17.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/21
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills. Out and back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:05 | 03.1 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/21
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-30 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Meat Pie

2005-10-30 8:11 PM
in reply to: #274792

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Meat Pie
Great report, Bise!  Congrats on the good race.  I don't know if I'd have had the you-know-whats to get in that frigid water, so I'm glad Katrina (that bitch) gave me an excuse!  Good job!
2005-10-31 6:39 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job, cold weather racing is a whole new ballgame I think. Glad you didn't have any flats and a big congrats to BR Tri.
2005-10-31 7:30 AM

Elite Veteran
Congrats on your race! I was a DNS for medical reasons, but to be honest, I'm not sure I would have started otherwise. No wet suit.

It's funny that you had to stop for some red lights; looking at the results for some friends I know, I thought the bike times looked unusually slow. I attributed it to a hard course. Now I know more. Hard course + lights? Well, there you have it.

Good race and thanks for sharing. Enjoy your off season.

2005-10-31 7:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
As an addendum to the race report.... turns out the temp was not 45 degree's .... at 0600 it was 39 degree's at the race site ... I thought it was colder than 45!
2005-11-01 12:40 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Awesome you guys got to keep the title, and great race. Glad to see that you pushed through the first half of the swim.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Meat Pie Rss Feed