Other Resources Challenge Me! » NEED HELP ON ABS! Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-04 8:31 PM

New user

San Francisco
Subject: NEED HELP ON ABS!
Hi, everyone, I am so inspired by how motivated and supportive everyone is with this abs challenge. I would like to be a part of this too.

I am a student and I gained 20 lbs over the last two years due to stress from school, family and relationship. Now things are more stable and I want to pick my life up again.

Love to run, bike and swim and is a newbie to TRI. I am determine to train for my first race. My goal is also to lose some weight and get a stronger core.

GOAL:
I want to start with 50/day and increase 10% for each week!

Thank you so much, everyone!

2005-11-04 9:30 PM
in reply to: #278651

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: NEED HELP ON ABS!
KittyKat57 - 2005-11-04 9:31 PM

GOAL:
I want to start with 50/day and increase 10% for each week!

Thank you so much, everyone!

Excellent goal - I've really been enjoying the challenge - I started w/30 a day and am now up to 100 - you'll be looking fantastic at Christmas!
2005-11-18 12:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
Abs have always sorta been my speciality. I'm lucky that I have a build that keeps me thinner. I did however gain proably 20 pounds of fat over 5 years. It was subtle because I also lost muscle so my weight really did not go up more than 10 pounds. I did not realize how much fat I really had on me, for one I still looked better than most, but until I lost all of it and started doing the math.

When I was in HS I used to do 540 situps a day. In college I used to do situps like Rocky (hanging a bit). Now I don't do situps but crunches with a 25 pound weight behind my head. 3 x 20.

The real secret is not what stomach exercises you do but how much fat you have on top of it. Take the fat off and a completly flat stomach will look great. I do the heavy weight to add muscle to add definition for my 6 pack. The weight will come off easy if you train 3x a week at high intensity and control not only how much you eat but what you eat. Get 50% of your calories (no more than 2000 for weight loss) from protein. Do the math. It will completly change your eating habits. Your body is a machine, it will respond.
2005-12-19 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
bikingbruise has some great advice there! Definitely worth taking!

Also, it's important to know that "target training" your abs will NOT be the determining factor. It's the aerobic activity (swimming, biking, running) and the food you eat that really determines how fast you melt the fat from your midsection. Crunches tightens up the abs and makes them hard and cut, but will NOT melt the fat. You can do 60,000 crunches a day and it will not take the fat off of your belly. But Tri-ing will!!!

Good luck!!!
2006-01-04 11:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN
This thread did not seem to get much play but I actually am exploring how to develop my lower abs.  I like the upper abs, crunches with 25# weight, situps etc.  But the lower ones have elluded me for many years.  I'm now taking to leg to chest raises while hanging from a bar.  Anyone have something that will definely work?  I really have a 4 pack and want the other 2.
2006-01-05 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
That will work for the most part. But the best thing I've ever done for lower abs strength is quite the strange routine. Lie on your back, but your hands (palms down) under your butt to support you. Lift your legs of the ground about 2 feet. Now spell the alphabet with your feet. Like you were drawing the alphabet in the air with your toes being the pen. It seems easy at first, but by the time you get to P...ouch. Do it twice and you'll be hurtin...in a good way though.

Just remember, crunches do NOT spot reduce fat. Keep it up with your diet/exercise, and the alphabet thing will help you uncover the last 2 parts of your 6 pack.

New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » NEED HELP ON ABS! Rss Feed