of 3

2005-11-07 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Subject: Florida 1/2 Ironman
This is my first HIM. May 21, 2006. Have a few questions to those that have
done a HIM.

1. How much time does someone have to finish the course?
2. During the bike and run what's the best way to get my calories?
3. Liquid's only?
4. Approx how many calories should I bring on bike and run?

Thanks.
Tyler

2005-11-23 9:42 PM
in reply to: #280172

Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Florida 1/2 Ironman
Hey Tyler,

I did the Florida 1/2 IM last year for my first one & had a good time. Granted it was HOT! (by the time I got on the run it was 95 degrees & 70% humidity). Anyways, here's what I got for some of your questions.
1) Time it usually takes to finish this course can range from 5hrs 30 minutes to 6 hrs 30 minutes.
2)I got alot of my calories on the bike. I used a powder by Hammer Gel called Propeteum (2 scoops a water bottle mixed with water). You take this every 1/2 hour (about 2-3 swigs) along with water (need to wash it down). and then I ate a protein bar about a 1/2 hour left on the bike.
3) I don't like gu, so I ended up on the run doing the power bites (and don't forget the salt pills. You will need these BIG TIME!!!) and continuing the Propeteum in a small flask.

Please let me know if you have any other questions esp in regards to this race.

Have a good one.
2005-11-24 5:51 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I did it last May. To answer your 1st question, and if I remember correctly, somewhere in the 2005 info were the cut off times for each part. I bet if you look up the race you can still find them. If not, I know they will be in the 2006 athlete info packet. It's a wave start by age and sex. I think my group had 1 1/2 hours to do the swim, 5 for the bike, and 3 for the run.

By the way -- if you're training this far out for the race, don't worry, you'll make them.

As for calories, the race offers a buffet during the run. I drank gatorade and ate gels on the bike, and then added the occassional cookie and Coke on the run. You could probably eat on the bike - if you're used to it, do it. It was my first race, done pretty much on a whim, and my first bike ride over 25 miles, so I never thought to carry real food.

As for how many calories to consume, I can't tell you as I'm not that scientific. I eat when I'm hungry and drink when I'm thirsty, and it seems to work for me. However, I am sure that you'll find an article out there somewhere with an hourly breakdown if that's what you are really looking for.

I will offer some advice though -- have fun, talk to everyone, and enjoy the experience. Most triathletes are friendly people (unless they're late and trying to get their bikes on the rack on race morning -- see next paragraph), and willing to talk and offer advice (even the pros). I felt I was at a Dead show only without the tie-dyes.

Put your bike on the racks the day before. I took mine to the practice swim and left it there. It was great not to worry about squeezing into a tiny space on race morning, and I did hear some heated exchanges between stressed out participants trying to find a space at 6am.

The water is warm but murky. I could not see past my outstretched arm.

Buy a head lamp (I just bought mine at a hunting store for $14) so you can see what you are doing in the 5am darkness when you park your car, pull out your gear, head to the bus, and then arrive at your bike. True, dawn came soon enough, but I wish I would have had one that morning.

I'd stay on Disney at the Wilderness Lodge. I stayed at a condo about 5 miles away, which was nice, and saved maybe $100/nite. But I could have had a condo at the Wilderness with a kitchen, and it would have been much easier for my wife, who was stuck wandering, when she could have instead seen the start, gone back to the room for breakfast, sunned at the pool, and then come for the finish. (Not that she has ever complained -- this is just pure post-race, I used up our vacation time because of my mid-life crisis guilt on my part!)

Enjoy the race! If it wasn't such a far distance for us, I'd do it again.
2005-11-24 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Appreciate all the good advice. Happy Turkey Day.

-T
www.aircrewphotos.com (my website I am working on)
2005-11-25 6:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Being an IMWI veteran (past two years), this is my first M-Dot 70.1 race. Just wondering if the bike/transition bag dropoffs can be done the day before. Also, as a Midwest athlete, I hardly ever swim without a wetsuit. Is this race usually non-wetsuit?

Also, I'm driving to the site from Disney Boardwalk. How long should I plan for time between the parking lot and busing to the race site?

Tyler...check out www.hammernutrition.com. They have great articles in their knowledge base about endurance nutrtion, and they have plans specific for all distances including HIM. I use Hammer products religiously...

Mike
2005-11-25 7:11 PM
in reply to: #292193

Grand Rapids, MI
Hey Mike,
Doing this race last year, you can definately drop your bike off the day before the race, actually it's highly recommended (you'll end up getting a better spot). I would bring your transition bag with you the morning of. As for wearing a wetsuit, we were able to wear one (just barely, if I can remember). So I would bring it, just in case.
Now, for the morning of the race. There will be no shuttles running in the morning. You will have to walk to the race site. If you park at Fort Wilderness, you can walk from there (about 1/4 of a mile or so). Also want to let you know that it's quiet a walk to get to the bike course from the transition area. It felt like I was runningat least a 1/4 mile. And granted the path is mostly sand (but it's covered), so be careful. Let me see if I can find any pics to show you the course.
If you have any other questions, please let me know. I'd be happy to help you.

And I also love using the Hammer Gel products. I used the Hammer Gel Perpeteum on the bike/run and used the gels on the run. I could never go back to Gu now (yuck!)

Take Care,

Metta

2005-11-25 7:22 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

It was not a wetsuit swim the last two years.  You could wear one but you had to start after the last wave and you wouldn't be elgible for any of the IMNA spots they were offering.

My big tip is to bring a flashlight with you!  The tranistion area in the morning is pitch black.  I was trying to pump my tires up and had to get about an inch from the gauge to pretend to read it.  It was actually pretty comical listening to everyone set up in the dark.  They had some lights by the pros (shocking huh?) but that didn't help any one else. 

I really liked the actual race.  Not having a car and being in the middle of Disney made it a little hard though.  If you have any questions let me know.

2005-11-25 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
I doubt I'll be qualifying for any IMNA prizes, so that is good to know. I've got a Petzl headlamp that I'll have to remember. I guess we're lucky at IMWI since the bike transition is in a parking structure so it's completely lit up.
2005-11-25 7:35 PM
in reply to: #292214

Grand Rapids, MI
Whew, I'm glad to hear there will be light at IMWI. I'll be too nervous the morning of anyways.
I'll just make sure I set my bike up by yours, Mike ;-)

I have to say I also enjoyed the HIM race. It was hot though! Probably nothing like Wisconsin, but it was HOT especially to a Michigan- er whose not use to all that humidity. Yuck!
The run was a loop (done twice), but it was cool having people out with their water hoses spraying us with water. And I even ran by someone who carried his cell phone with him. And of course, it rang during the race and he picked it up. Wow!!!

2005-11-25 9:43 PM
in reply to: #292214

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
I understand not worrying about qualifying for IMNA spots (regualr IMs or Hawaii) but going in the last wave is not a good thing - The course is littered with people, plenty already broken down, aid stations get iffy, peoples moods are messed up, and we are talking about Florida here.  You are coming from Wisconsin, Florida at the end of May the heat is going to hit you harder than you think.  It won't be 90% humidity but it was 90 degrees last year and more humid than I was used to.  You don't need the wetsuit as everyone will be racing without one.  It's in a very calm lake and you will be able to find  a draft all the way around. If wetsuits are allowed wear it but if not race in your AG wave.  Dude - You swam a few 2.4ers.  This ain't no thing!!!!! 
2005-11-26 6:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Good to know...
Then it will be a great prep for IMWI since I'm sure it will be hot again this year, but hopefully not like last year.

2005-12-03 12:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Gettin Ready!!
I started this crazy activity called Tri's this past May for the 1st time in my life.
Have only done 5 sprints total. Really going to push myself on this FL HIM.

Here's what I am up to.

Swim - 1.2 @ :44 mins.
Bike - 20 miles, just over an hour.
Runs - Up to 7 miles @ 10 min/pace

How I'm doin?
2005-12-03 7:21 AM

Your doing great...and I'll be at the 1/2 IM with you on the 21st!!! It too will be my first and looking forward to the adventure..much like you I've only completed springs/olymp last year... so this is quite a jump. Look forward to seeing you down there!

Happy Training
2005-12-03 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
All the BT'rs should have a "meet and greet"...
We did this at IMWI 05, and it was great to meet everyone in person!
2005-12-03 2:28 PM
in reply to: #298023

Grand Rapids, MI
That's a great idea!!!
Do you think we can do it again at IMWI???

Hey, Mike..did you ever get that email I sent you about the course???

-Metta
2005-12-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: #298026

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
When we get closer to IMWI, I'll put something together...

Metta...just emailed you back. Thanks for the info...Sent you some more info on wheels!

2005-12-26 5:16 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
I'll be there.  Already have my reservations at the Wilderness Lodge.  It's a litle pricy but I figure the convenience makes up for the extra cost.  Plus, hubby can see the strart, go have breakfast and be back to see the transitions.  I have just started the 20 week HIM plan and am really excited!  We should definately have a BT get together.  Seems like there will be a lot of us there!

Edited by dodgersmom 2005-12-26 5:17 PM
2005-12-26 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Reserved three days at the Wilderness Lodge a few days ago. (Fri-Monday)
Seems like a standard $250 per night no matter how you book it.
Everybody else seem to get this price?
A BT group meeting sometime before would be awesome! I'm in.

Tyler
bchjetdrvr
2005-12-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: #311779

Actually, you should have gotten the group rate through the event website...I think ours was 180.00...nightly. We are only staying there the first night and going to another location there after...but if you could atleast save a bit of money I'd check into it.
2005-12-27 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well, I have never done this distance but I went to the Florida Half as a spectator for the past 2 years.  As far as Disney goes, my family and I go 5-7 times per year...we KNOW Disney!  After reading this thread I would like to throw my 2 cents worth!

You will not need a wetsuit...it's like bath water and very calm.  The only complaint that I heard from racers were some that got some diesel fuel and got sick.  The area is heavily traveled by boats for Disney transportation, so there can be a lot of oil and diesel around the water in the area close to the dock. 

It is hot!  Both years, very hot.  Esp for you all not from hotter climates.  You don't want to go in the last wave unless you have to.  Every minute that you are out on the course, the hotter it will be on the run.  Much of the run is through large parking lots and on black asphalt...even hotter I say!

Speaking of parking and transportation, the last 2 years there was no shuttle service from the resorts to the race site.  The athlete and spectator guides said that there would be shuttle service starting at 4:30 am.  There was not.  That was no problem if you stayed at the Fort Wilderness Campground, that is where the race is.  If you stay at the Widerness Lodge, there is a trail that is almost exactly 1 mile to the race site.  If you are staying off property or at another Disney resort then you had to find your way to the Stol-Port parking area to catch the shuttle to the race site.  I encountered MANY frustrated racers!!  This is not a suprise you want on race morning.  Please have a back-up plan if you are depending on Disney transporation the morning of the race.  (FYI, the Stol-Port lot is on the right off the main road the heads to Magic Kingdom, just past the kiosk where you pay your parking fee.  There were huge signs and lights race morning.)

If there are any other things that I could help with as far as what your friends or family can expect, I would be happy to help if I can.  Have a great race and Disney can be a blast so don't forget to have fun while you are there!!

Sherri

2005-12-28 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

I'll be there, this is my first Half-IM.  A BT gathering is definitely in order, maybe an early carbo load dinner the night before. 

2005-12-30 7:48 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
2006-01-01 8:56 PM
in reply to: #313552

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
I'll be there for my first 1/2 distance, looking forward to it. Staying at wilderness lodge. I look forward to meeting some of you .

Scott
2006-01-05 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
FOUND IT!

I knew I would some day soon. I'm a pilot that flies a corporate biz jet.
Anyway, I was enroute from NJ down to FL. Most land marks in Fl are
easily seen from the air. Disney, Epcot, NASA, Lake Okeechobee, Key West
etc etc... I carry my camera everywhere! You just never know what you'll
see.

Anyways, on our descent the other day I was looking to see if I could find the
swim lake and Fort Wildnerness Lodge. I snapped a few pics of what I thought could
be the lake. When I got home I was dissappointed to see pics of what I knew
was Epcot. Then I google Earthed the Lodge. A hit!!!

Here's the lake. You can see the beach of the Lodge on the north end of the pic.
Epcot clearly visible on the south end of pic.

Tyler
www.aircrewphotos.com

(airfortwild.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
airfortwild.jpg (98KB - 44 downloads)
2006-01-07 11:23 PM

New user

Hey guys. I am also training for the Florida HIM. It is going to be first one of that distance. I am a little nervous about it since I only started into triathlons back in July. But I love the sport and almost can't stop myself from signing up for races whenever I see one within driving distance of where I live. But if you guys are gonna meet up before the race I would love to meet some other people in the sport since everyone I know isn't too into it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3