Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 54s
Overall Rank = 217/631
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 34/72
Pre-race routine:

Show up, check-in, set up Transition begin warmup 1 hour before race
Event warmup:

2 miles on bike to loosen up and check shifting, 10 minute run 300 yard swim to acclimate to water.
Swim
  • 14m 14s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Best swim ever. I was realxed calm and slippery. I'm going to have to start seeding closer to front. I got caught behind some of my wave until the swimmers thinned out. I caught some of the stragglers from the previous wave, too. I was happy. From the warmup I found it was hard to exit water because the beach is rocky and the surge from the tide. So I swam right up until about 2 ft deep and had little trouble exiting.
What would you do differently?:

seed myself behind the 1st rank. Cincentrate on navigation. The current pushed me to the inside of the buoy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Road shoes do not really allow for leaving shoes on bike. I did more of a cyclocross mount and I looked good doing it!

Not worry so much about leaving room for others at the mounting line and just worry about myself. I don't mean being obnoxious or unsafe but a race is no time to put others before you.
Bike
  • 50m 33s
  • 10 miles
  • 11.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I crashed on an uphill becuase some heavy guy on a utility bike lost his balance going too slow so I jerked away then the guy on the other side of me jerked his wheel away but then he left too much wieght on the handlbars and the counterforce made him veer back into me. I caught my breath and made a stellar uphill start. Over the top I found a girl who had crashed badly. She was in shock she was getting attention from another rider. At the bottom of the hill I informed a Sherriff there was an injury. It probably only cost me a few seconds and it was worth it knowing I did the right thing. The climb was brutal!

I forgot some of the rules of downhill cornering. Braking makes you go upright. Feather my speed mor before the turn lean more and more front brake.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Transition area was full of spectators! I had to yell at people to get out of the way! Race offical tells me to slow down. Fine, but please get peoples kids out of the Transition area! In the confusion I ran past my row and had to backtrack a bit.

More focus on finding my rack and worry less about who is standing around
Run
  • 24m 22s
  • 3.24 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Deep hurting. I had nothing left after bike. By 1/2 mile I felt like I had nothing. at 1 mile I had to dig deep to keep running. I passed alot of people going up, that was nice. I did the marathon shuffle until turn around and the downhill was easy, yay.

Perhaps more hill training ahead of time, but there wasn't much to be done at the time. I
Post race
Warm down:

water, orange and banana, then I went a cheered other runners for awhile, they deserved it and it made me feel good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

dead legs on run and a hill!

Event comments:

After seeing the splits it seems that bike performance on this course is a good indicator of how you place. the run is too short to really make up time after the bike The hills made it really hard, but it was also fun for me. The chaos in the transition area sucked and the attrition on the bike was appalling.
No post race activities. The prizes were just things they didn't manange to sell at L.A. And if I eat another cliff bar I'm going to gag. On the other hand I had fun and I am proud of my performance even though on paper it doesn't look like much.

Last updated: 2005-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:14 | 800 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/72
Overall: 236/631
Performance: Good
I swam a deliberate and moderately easy pace
Suit: DeSoto
Course: U shaped swim. about 375 yard out to 1st buoy right turn 50 yards to 2nd buoy, right turn then return to beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:50:33 | 10 miles | 11.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/72
Overall: 260/631
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 7-9 uphill for about 3 miles then a very steep downhill with sharp turns and slick mud in the shady areas. Too many inexperienced riders creating chaos up and downhill. Many crashes with a few hospitalizations. Dangerous conditions
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good