General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couple of questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-17 8:01 AM

Subject: Couple of questions
Hi all, I have been starting to train for my first triathlon this spring/summer. But I have been wondering how many to try in my first season. I want to do at least one Olympic distance and Sprint. How many would you recommend for a first timer? I also wanted to ask anybody out there from the Philly area where you practice your open swims? I just want to get an idea about it for practice in the spring. Also have any of you ladies done the philadelphia women's triathlon? I am trying to get an idea of a good beginner one, and the philly tri on june 26th is already filled. So any info at all from you guys would be wonderful! Thanks!

2005-11-17 8:16 AM
in reply to: #286815

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-11-17 8:20 AM

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Couple of questions

There are a lot of races in this area from May through Sept.  I did 4 tris last year in my first season (2 sprints, 1 (unfinished) oly, 1 HIM) , but you could certainly do more or less.  Many of the races can be entered quite close to race day (unlike the Philly Tri) so you may want to pick out some possible races and then make decisions based upon how your training and racing progresses.

I have not found anywhere nearby to practice OW swims.  Supposedly there are some options in S. Jersey.  But my only OW swims last year (outside a vacation to the Caribbean) were in my races.

The women's tri is a new race this year.  I'm pretty sure my wife has been talked into doing it along with several of her friends.  Give it a tri! Wink

2005-11-17 8:31 AM

Hi Aaron...My fitness level is high and am improving it everyday! I was a 3 sport athlete in h.s. (XC, Basketball, softball and swim team in the summer) just graduated college in may where i was a 2 sport athlete (Basketball, softball). this winter I am doing a basic training program to keep/improve my endurance, which includes swimming, biking, running, and also the elyptical (i love that machine lol I added this one), I am doing this about 5-6 days a week. giving myself a day or 2 a week for rest. I have been looking for races in the section here, but not a lot of '06's are listed yet, but considering I live outside of Philly and within an hour or two from NJ, MD, DE, and NY. I am sure that that's not a problem. Travel, I'm used to and will go anywhere. Budget is not really an issue. For wanting to do this. I really want to do it, i think it sounds like a lot of hard work, but fun and gives you a sense of accomplishment. I just dont want to do too much for a first timer and get burnt out or anything like that. And i'm also not looking into this to be highly competitive or anything, just something to enjoy and have fun with. Had enough stressful competition in all my previous sports, want to move onto something i can just enjoy doing.

Ashlee
2005-11-17 9:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-11-17 10:52 AM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
bunyhop20 - 2005-11-17 8:01 AM
Hi all, I have been starting to train for my first triathlon this spring/summer. But I have been wondering how many to try in my first season. I want to do at least one Olympic distance and Sprint. How many would you recommend for a first timer? I also wanted to ask anybody out there from the Philly area where you practice your open swims? I just want to get an idea about it for practice in the spring. Also have any of you ladies done the philadelphia women's triathlon? I am trying to get an idea of a good beginner one, and the philly tri on june 26th is already filled. So any info at all from you guys would be wonderful! Thanks!

I started doing triathlons after many years of self neglect. Started training the day after Xmas and did my first sprint at the end of April. I did one sprint a month - didn't plan it that way, they just happned to be small enough and in my area. I learned a lot and the only thing I would have changed is sticking to my training schedule more. Other than that, I would od it all over again in a heart beat.
I started out and continue by following the programs supplied by this great site. I've been looking for and hope to find a swim coach for a few sessions to get a feel for where I stand at present.
Be careful with pushing it too hard at first (but it sounds like you won't have that problem). I pushed it too hard at first and had to go to Physical Therapy to fix what I had pushed a bit too hard.
For 06 I'm doing mostly Olympics and one day hope to progress to Full Iron when the time is right for me.

Good luck on your first season and let us know of your pogress in this great sport.

Eddie

Edited by cobannero 2005-11-17 10:54 AM

2005-11-17 11:57 AM

Veteran
Gardner KS (near Kansas City)
I did my 1st sprint after 5 weeks of training Aug '04 - had not been doing any swimming, biking or running - had been doing weights, racqetball, trampoline - then became addicted and did a 2nd sprint in Nov, after the aug Tri - trained 4 months for a Oly in May'05, did another in July, did 2 sprints in Aug then my "A" Oly race in Vegas Sept 25 - I pulled the Oly training plan from this site, modified a bit and stuck to it 95% - usually came in about the bottom 1/3 for my age group but top 1/3 for "Master Clydesdales" - even took a 3rd in one sprint race. I would suggest the same, train to finish and keep healthy to avaoid injuries and pick one or two to push yourself - Welcome but beware, you can become addicted to Tri's AND this website
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Couple of questions Rss Feed