General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain? Is this a trick knee?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-17 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Subject: Knee pain? Is this a trick knee??
Running 20/25 miles a week. Never had a knee problem, ever.

Late last week I was at the end of a 10 mile run coming up a 15 minute hill. (weekly long runs are 10 to 15 miles) Had a little pain in the left knee. Pain is below the knee cap and on the inside of the leg and deep. Thought I'd just run through it but it became worse. Walked for a bit and it went away started running again on the flat. On the next hill pain reappeared and got worse. Enough so that I had to stop and had a hard time putting weight on it. Massage and limping around wasn't helping. Almost like a cramp but it wasn't...and it was REALLY painful. Felt like my knee joint couldn't take it and not a muscle issue. Limped home on it very carefully and took a couple of days off with advil but no pain to speak of after I got home. No soreness or swelling.

Felt better this morning so off for a run I go but literally 2 minutes from the house same intense pain starts all over again. Scares me!! I limp back to the house again. Pain passes so I pull out the mtn bike and decide to see if I can ride a little bit. Slow ride with a 60/70 cadenece is easy enough and no pain. Try some small hills at the same cadence or a slower rehab pace and no problem. Get back home after an hour and things seem fine. I end up running for 50 minutes with mostly no pain....for the majority of the run. I feel the knee stating to act up twice. I stop and relax the leg and start walking very carefully on it...try massage and flex and unflex my thigh muscle which helps. I can now identfy when it is going to happen and control it a enough to excercise....at least today.

Can't excersice through this kind of pain...can hardly walk when it is happening.

Any idea what is going on here?

2005-11-17 3:21 PM
in reply to: #287403

User image

Blenheim, Ontario
Subject: RE: Knee pain? Is this a trick knee??
I can't say I know why your knee is hurting but go to the local chiropractor or massage therapist and see if they can tell you what is wrong.

Colin
2005-11-17 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
Good idea and thanks. Answer to my question was a torn lateral meniscus.

"Because the space between the bones of the joint is very small, as the abnormally mobile piece of meniscal tissue moves, it may become caught between the bones of the joint (femur and tibia). When this happens, the knee becomes painful, swollen, and difficult to move. "

ie, a "trick knee".

No clue how that happened.

Anyone gone through arthroscopic removal of a torn meniscus? Or care to comment on rehab?
2005-11-17 11:28 PM
in reply to: #287614

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I was about to suggest that this may be the problem before I read the last post here. I've had the same problem 3 different times. Generally it's caused by some sort of abnormal twisting of the knee (at least for me it was all 3 times). Sometimes you'll feel a little pop, but have little or no pain until the meniscus happens to slip into the joint or fold over, at which point it can be very painful.

I've had arthroscopic surgery to remove the torn meniscus all 3 times. The recover time is generally around 6 weeks for full activity, but I was running at 2 weeks after the 3rd one (only because it felt great, swelling was gone, and my PT said it was ok). What my doctor told me is that you can usually function normally unless more than 75% has been removed. I'm down to 25% left in both knees and can run just fine.

Rehab of the knee isn't too bad. A PT will probably have you start out with something that doesn't stress the meniscus much (i.e. swimminig or biking). The good news is that being active on the knee after the 6 weeks will actually assist with the healing (break up of scar tissue & increase mobility).

Good luck, and I hope that all goes well with the surgery.

Edit: I noticed that you live in the Pacific NW. If you live in the Seattle area and would like a recommendation, I had my first surgery done out there by the surgeon that does work for the Seahawks. He's EXCELLENT. Unfortunately I can't remember his name at the moment, but could look it up if you would like.

Edited by runningfoo 2005-11-17 11:33 PM
2005-11-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #287648

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I can't seem to PM you, Nob. Here's the info on the surgeon:

His name is Dr. James Swenson. He works out of the Evergreen Ortho clinic. If he's booked or not covered by insurance, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask his office for a referral.

http://www.evergreenorthocenter.com/pages/swenson.php
2005-11-18 11:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
pnw
thanks, much appreciated.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee pain? Is this a trick knee?? Rss Feed