General Discussion Race Reports! » Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Motive
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 14s
Overall Rank = 405/1971
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/158
Pre-race routine:

Since I knew it was a little cool outside I decided to start the morning with some oatmeal.
Event warmup:

Got to race start a little late so I missed the 1 mile warm up with my training group. No big deal, I ran around for a while mostly looking for people I knew. Met up with the training group to do drills, then chated with folks while looking for a second packet of GU. (Finally found David at the start line and he had a GU for me in his vehicle.)
Run
  • 1h 43m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Before the race starts I kept thinking maybe I should go to the bathroom one more time..na there is a big line...I'll be fine once I start running. So the race starts and I see 3 porto-johns with no line...ah what the heck might as well get it over with. So after my really quick stop I decided to try to make up some missed time. Probably a mistake but not too bad. My right hip started hurting at mile 3. I could tell it was going to be a long race. At the start of the long downhill my knees felt weak so I ran a little slower than I usually would. Then it's on to the mile of up hill :). I did make it up the hills in 8:05 not bad for those hills. I made it thru the first 3 hills with little issues, then on the 4th hill at mile 7 my calves felt like they were going to cramp so I decided to walk part of the hill to stretch out my calves. From that point on I was sore. Mile 8 my legs got really sore, I actually thought I wouldn't be able to finish. And at mile 10 they were even more sore (although I didn't think that could happen). I was looking for someone to run with so I wouldn't walk but everyone was running faster than me :(. I kept telling myself to keep an even pace, don't worry about getting passed. Finally at mile 12 I decided I would be able to run the rest of the way so I gradually picked up the pace. I wasn't able to sprint to the finish line but that's okay. Jeff decided to come out and cheer me on right before the finish line, it was good to see him. He was laughing after the race cause he said I looked pissed when I saw him.
What would you do differently?:

The week leading up to the race get a massage before the race. Go to the bathroom again before the race. Other than that it was pretty good. Oh don't walk at all!!!
Post race
Warm down:

No more running but I did stretch a lot while chatting with friends. Breakfast after.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very, very sore legs. As I sit here now my legs are screaming at me...not good. should have taken an ice bath.

Event comments:

This is a GREAT race. A difficult course but a good one. The water stops keep my mind off of the hills!

A quote from the man that took first place “Those hills were much more difficult than I thought they would be,” said Malakwen after finishing first in 1:04:48. “We train on hills all the time outside of Nairobi, but these were harder. I didn’t know Texas was so hilly.”

And a quote from the woman that took first place... Neither did Jackie Rzepecki. The 27-year-old lives in Michigan but was raised in upstate New York where she trained on hills all the time. “This is—by far—the toughest course I have ever run,” she said after winning in 1:19:48.

Last updated: 2005-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:13 | 13.1 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/158
Overall: 0/1971
Performance: Good
Course: Start and finish in Motive parking lot. Gradual down hill for the first 3 miles, big down hill at mile 4 then the hills start. Then the fun begins, 1 full mile up hills. New this year was a race inside the race to see who could make it up the mile of hills the fastest. Another hard hill at mile 7 then some nice flat to down hill. One more not so bad hill at mile 11 and a gradual slope up to the finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-11-20 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon

2005-11-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: #288961

User image

Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon
Great day for a race wasn't it? I ran the pervasive a few weeks ago so I had a good race plan in place for the HILL. Looks like you ran a great race, 10th in your age group and 35th on Queen of the Hill!!!
2005-11-21 11:32 AM
in reply to: #288961

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon

Wow! Sub-8:00 and you stopped at the port-o-let and you walked?

Impressive!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Motive Bison Stampede Half Marathon Rss Feed