General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort when running > 5.0 MPH Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-11-25 5:55 PM

User image

New Hampshire
Subject: Discomfort when running > 5.0 MPH
I have this dull pain while running. It is more like a heaviness and fatigue in my gluts and hamstring. I can walk. I can ride. I can swim - all of these without any discomfort. But when I try to run (over 5 MPH), it feels like my left leg will not bear the weight. I start favoring the left leg and I know this will cause damage on both sides if I continue...

Has any one had something like this? Is this some common ailment?

Kurt

2005-11-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: #292183

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Discomfort when running > 5.0 MPH
Have you had any knee or ankle injuries that would have caused this? I know I've been favoring my left knee because it's been causing problems. Have you tried strength training? Does that hurt your leg? It could be that your left leg is already weaker than the right. And maybe your body's trying to tell you to slow down. I'd talk to a PT, but that's just my two cents I just thought of some more things to consider - where are you running? If you're hitting the track and it's a tight circle (like the little one inside my gym), that could be hurting your knee. Are you wearing the right shoes? Is that enough questions ?

Edited by watergirl 2005-11-29 12:22 PM
2005-11-29 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Home port

kstuke - 2005-11-25 5:55 PM I have this dull pain while running. It is more like a heaviness and fatigue in my gluts and hamstring. I can walk. I can ride. I can swim - all of these without any discomfort. But when I try to run (over 5 MPH), it feels like my left leg will not bear the weight. I start favoring the left leg and I know this will cause damage on both sides if I continue...

Has any one had something like this? Is this some common ailment?

Kurt

As long as you dont have any sharp pain, your ailment may be just what you think, fatigue or over use.  The weakness may be just a simple case of tight muscles/muslce spasms. This problem is pretty common among triathletes, especially all the runing and biking that we do.  All of this excercise puts a heavy workload on our bodies. What do you expect your body to do when you ask it to run, bike, and swim as much as you do all the while when you dont sleep enough or become dehydrated. Simply put, if you train 4,5,6 days a week, then you need to do some kind of therapy 6 days a week.  You should try a couple of things.  First do some core strength excercises.  Second, check out this website, www.tpmassageball.com  this is what I mean by doing your own therapy.  Last, if you have any serious pain, go to a doctor.

Bmac  

2005-11-29 2:57 PM
in reply to: #294005

User image

New Hampshire
Watergirl,

As a matter of fact, I do have a small indoor track that I use when it is snowing (snow is this white stuff that is cold and falls from the sky!). Interesting that you thought it might be a knee or ankle issue - I will stretch more and make sure that I include those areas.

Good luck with TNT - I am a mentor up here in the NH chapter!

Go Dawgs :-)

Kurt
2005-11-29 2:59 PM
in reply to: #294040

User image

New Hampshire
Thanks Bmac - I will check out the site you mentioned!
2005-11-30 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

Snow. Hmmm. Maybe we'll get it down here. Maybe. I haven't seen it in about five years. When I ran at my indoor track once, it made my right leg hurt. I connected it to the constant right turns. Now I try to stick to running outside, but less than warm winds may drive me inside! And since I've joined TNT, I can't use excuses to get out of training!

Edited by watergirl 2005-11-30 10:24 AM

2005-11-30 5:25 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My left leg is slightly shorter than my right leg, which caused pain in my right knee and lower back when running and caused my hips to rock back and forth when pedaling at high cadence rates on my bike.

I now wear an orthodic insert in my left running and bike shoes which has pretty much solved the problems.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Discomfort when running > 5.0 MPH Rss Feed