View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Total Time = 2h 00m 50s
Overall Rank = 1331/3889
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 169/324
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45am and ate a banana/choc. chip muffin that my niece made. Oh it tasted good. Had some vitamin water.

Caught the shuttle bus to the race site with my wife and sister. Ran a couple of blocks to warm up and then waited in line FOREVER at the porta-potties.

While dashing to the 1/2 marathon start line, stopped by the stage for the singing of the national anthem; watched the jets fly overhead. Squeezed into the back of the pack at the start line.
Run
  • 2h 00m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was only my second race, the first being the sprint tri in October, so I was not sure exactly what to expect or how to pace myself. I have been running slowly the past 8 weeks, trying to build aerobic endurance and increase my mileage.

My sister in Oklahoma was running the marathon and invited my wife to join her. I decided to run the 1/2 and just treat it as part of my training. But as I got close to the race, I could not stand the thought of running slowly in it and wanted to challenge myself. I set a goal to try to break 2 hours. I missed it by 51 seconds, argh!!

This race was MUCH more physically challenging than the sprint tri. It gave me a taste of what I am going to experience in the HIM in September. I have so much more to do to get ready.

It was nice to not have to worry about bringing gear for three events, figuring out how to transport a bike, setting up transition, etc.

Overall the run was challenging, especially the last 3 miles. I had a great time and really enjoyed running with a large crowd through city streets.
What would you do differently?:

I need to become less of a wimp about cold weather and learn to live with less clothing at the beginning of the race.

I need to remember to stretch after a race.

I need to get some light-weight sunglasses for running. The sun was really bothering my eyes during a lot of this run.

I need to figure out why I get so cold after long runs like this.

I need to not have so many problems with my watch next time.
Post race
Event comments:

I had a great time this weekend. I got to spend time with my sister that I do not see very often. Both my sister and my wife finished the marathon; I am so proud of them both.

I got to meet Aaron (JeepFleeb) and Haley (TriComet). I think tmwelshy was with them as well, but we were all headed in different directions after the race and I only had a minute to chat with Aaron.

There were a lot of munchies after the event and a good band. A lot of the food was wiped out by the time some of the full marathoners had finished which did not seem right.

For a race with 10,000 participants through a big city, there were precious few spectators. A really, really low number. The course through some of the residential neighborhoods was fun with the neighbors out cheering us on. My favorite was the table in front of one house with several boxes of Krispy Kream doughnuts and the sign "Give up now - get a free doughnut."

Last updated: 2005-12-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:00:50 | 13.1 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 169/324
Overall: 1331/3889
Performance:
My lap times are all screwed up because I missed several mile markers. My average HR was 168.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2005-12-13 9:56 PM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Subject: Dallas White Rock half marathon

2005-12-14 5:29 PM
in reply to: #305107

User image

Spring, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock half marathon
I know what you mean about there being no spectators. For those intervening miles cutting through some neighborhoods, I felt like I was on a training run. The runner ahead of was a good 200 yards ahead, and me about the same distance ahead of the next guy. Except for the few aid stations, all I could hear were my own footfalls.

Although somewhere around there, I heard this couple standing in their front lawn tell me "If you want to run, go run on track or something". I guess they were annoyed they couldn't get out of their neighborhood because of the race. Funny, I'm used to spectators cheering me on, not telling me to go away!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock half marathon Rss Feed