Blue Sky Sports
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 4s
Overall Rank = 195/292
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up early (4:00AM) and left the house at 4:50 for the drive from Northeast Atlanta to the park which is near the Georgia-Alabama border. I did this race last year as my second (in a week) ever. I had packed my Explorer the night before but still forgot one thing, the banana I going to snack on during the ride. The park entrance was backed up when I got there at 6:20. Once in the park I went and got my race packet and got body marked before unloading anything. I choose a setup position next to the end rail of the bike hanger. This left the bike hanger leg to protect my space from intrusion from others. You learn some small things that help as you do these things. I wore real triathlon clothes for the first time, a Sugoi top and shorts and I really like them. They were great on the swim and felt good the whole race.
Event warmup:

None really, it was overcast with on and off showers and the water was cold. The race directors declared the water temp was 79 and no wet suits allowed but no one believed the temp. I did do one quick out and back of maybe 25 yards each way. I was racing with a friend from work and he didn't even do that.
Swim
  • 14m 28s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was real disappointed with this time because I worked hard on my swim and have not swam over 2:00 pace for 100 meters in a long time. I think that the slowness was due to trying to start near the front of the pack and being clubbed hard by the faster swimmers in back coming forward and kicked by the slower swimmers in front coming back. After the turnaround I swam in clear water for the most part and did better.

Todd my coworker and training partner ended up swimming beside me nearly the whole way. I got to the turn around just barely ahead of him but he beat me out of the water by about 50 feet and that's the last time I saw him until the run where he was at least .75 mile ahead of me and coming back from the run turn around. The results say that I finished first in my age group of 6 persons for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I would start off to the side like I had been doing last year for the wave starts. I also might try swimming further to the outside of the course because it seemed that the biggest pack were keeping a tight straight line bouy to bouy.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Using my HRM watch without the chest strap I timed myself and took times for every segment. My run from the lake to the T1 timing mat was 46 seconds.
I had my shoes mounted on the bike, hanging loose but refuse to ride without socks so I spent time putting them on. I did use the roll the prerolled socks on routine and it worked but the ground was soaked from the rain and I was wet footed as I ran out of transition to mount up on the run.

I need some triathlon bike shoes. The bike shoes I use now are clumsy to strap using the shoe on the bike technique. I believe all triathlon bike shoes have one strap and an integral tongue (no loose sides) that make it easier to close. I wasted time in the first half mile getting the shoes strapped.
Bike
  • 36m 52s
  • 11.19 miles
  • 18.21 mile/hr
Comments:

As mentioned it took me a while to get my shoes strapped in right and it probably cost me up to a minute. Once I was locked into the shoes I took off and couldn't believe the speeds I was achieving. On a long gentle downhill I was doing 30+ and rocketing past several other riders. I finally hit reality when I reached the first tough hill. I got tired about mile 7 but found new energy by about mile 9 and was able to push hard to the finish. This is my first ever 18 mph bike pace for a triathlon. As I finished the bike and exited T2 I was second in my age group.

It went well but I know that with more training I can achieve an average speed of 20+.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

I used the get out of your shoes and ride on top of them routine for the last 100 yards of the bike leg. I got on the left pedal with both legs and coasted up to the dismount line and then sprinted into T2.

I decided to use my fuel belt for the race with just 2 flasks and to strap the race number onto the belt. This worked great but I dropped the empty flasks 3 times and had to pick them up probably costing me 20 to 30 seconds on the run. I was in and out of T2 very fast, just strap on the belt, pull on the shoes, put on the baseball cap and I'm outta there. I did take a few seconds to quickly drink a third flask just before the exit. In hind sight I should have run with the flask and just stuffed it in the belt when it was empty.

I think overall this routine worked very well. I had come into T2 with one of the top age group women right on my wheel (All the women except novices started 3 minutes behind my wave) and I left T2 just ahead of her. Of course she took off and left me in the run.
Run
  • 32m 10s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good coming off the bike and held a good pace for the first half a mile or so but I'm so slow that everyone I had passed in the bike and more passed me back in the run. I haven't done a triathlon run at below 11 pace before but I did yesterday. I did 10:22 pace and I was still looking like I was standing still, in a sea of real runners. I sprinted hard the last quarter mile to try to hold off a guy who turned out to be in my age group but he flew past me. I went past the finish line, looked at my watch time and did a whoop!, because of the 1:26:03 I saw which was 8 minutes faster than last years 1:34:09. My official time was 1:26:04.

I know I need to run more and lose weight to get my run pace below 10 minutes.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't warm down. Last year I finished the race feeling wasted but this year when I crossed the finish line I felt good. I wasn't tired, thirsty, or hungry. I got a water bottle from one of the barrels but didn't open it for awhile. Maybe I should have put more into the segments but when I was doing them I thought I was giving it all I had. I must be fitter than I thought.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I made some mistakes that cost me a minute or two. the problem strapping in can be solved with tri specific bike shoes. The dropped water bottles are probably a result of not using them enough and not paying close attention to them. I wore clear glasses on the bike and dropped them when I tried to store them in my aero water bottle when they became too covered with rain to see out of. BTW these glasses were just like the expensive biking ones but were actually $10 work glasses from a hardware store. No one seemed upset that I didn't stop to pick up the glasses.

Event comments:

I didn't stay for the post race because I knew I wasn't getting an award and I needed to get home. Todd, the guy I work with, did a 1:16 which I find amazing.

I ended up winning the swim in my age group and was second in my age group going into the run. I saw the three guys in my age group who passed me in the run but there was no way I could compete with them at their run pace, all under 8 minute pace. The guy who finished fourth in my age group passed me with about 100 yards to go, I just couldn't drive it home fast enough. I ended up fifth out of six age group competitors.

Last updated: 2004-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:28 | 600 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 118/292
Performance: Below average
This time includes a 46 second run to the T1 timer. My unofficial "swim only" time is 13:40
Suit: Sugoi tri top and short tri shorts
Course: Sort of a counter clockwise trapezoid with several bouys to sight on. The water was clearer than last year when it was solid pea soup. This year it was much easier to swim in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:35.9
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:36:52 | 11.19 miles | 18.21 mile/hr
Overall: 152/292
I deliberately didn't put the HRM strap on. One more thing to waste time on in a sprint and you really don't want to know your HR during the sprint. When it gets near max you'll automatically back off your speed instead of just flooring the accelerator.
Wind: None
Course: 11.19 miles with only 366 total feet of vertical gain. I like this bike course. The online site for the racing series has bike course profiles, a very cool thing to do.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 80?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:9.7 | 03.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 264/292
Course: A paved flat track around the swim lake, then up a rise to a dirt road, then a 3 hill run to the turnaround on a paved road and back the same way except just to the lake with a right turn up to near the transition area. I did it last year so it was easier to handle and I knew where everything was, however last year the turn around was on top of the last hill and this year it was at the bottom over the top of that last hill, or my memory is shot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-05-02 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
Sugar Hill, GA
Subject: John Tanner 2004 Tri-the Parks

2004-05-02 11:09 PM
in reply to: #22444

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
Subject: RE: John Tanner 2004 Tri-the Parks
JTee - I was there, too. In fact our results were pretty similar. Your ride was much better than mine, but i edged you on the swim and run. This was my first one and I was pretty pleased with the results.

Are you doing any of the other Tri the parks? I am considering the one on June 25th.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » John Tanner 2004 Tri-the Parks Rss Feed