General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting your running shoes wet- does it hurt the shoes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-07 11:11 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Getting your running shoes wet- does it hurt the shoes?
All right... I completed 2 sprint tri's last year... and at both of them... I opted to run in old shoes, because I didn't want to get my good running shoes wet.

But now... because of some leg pain... I have new running shoes that I will probably need to wear... instead of wearing old shoes.

What causes me grief... is that I don't want to get these shoes wet (my socks are soaking wet from the water oozing off my body and into my shoes)... I'm cheap and paying $100 for a pair of running shoes hurt.

So, will it ruin my shoes to run in them with soaking wet socks? What has been your experience?

2006-01-08 4:29 AM
in reply to: #319137

User image

Regular
St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Getting your running shoes wet- does it hurt the shoes?
Just let them dry out, but DON'T put them in the dryer. I have two pairs of shoes. One pair is a training pair and the other is for racing (lighter/faster). I do wear both during training just to make sure I don't get blisters during a race, but I only wear my racing shoes in good weather.
2006-01-08 6:01 AM

User image

Montreal
The best way to dry running shoes is to stuff them with newspaper and leave them over night. Don't use any heat (dryer, baseboard heaters, sunlight) to dry them because it will ruin the synthetic materials in the shoe's upper.

Cheers
2006-01-08 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
I wash mine regullarly (2 weeks) in water to get ride of the salt from sweat and dust / durt. And let them dry in a vented place. I have never notices that this regime damages them prematurly.
2006-01-08 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
I also own two pairs of running shoes, which I alternate between training sessions to prolong their life.

For sprint distance races, I don't wear socks. One less thing I had to do in either T1 or T2. That won't solve your wet shoe issue, since it sounds like the "water" is sweat in your case. For me, I usually pulled the insoles, rinsed the shoes with a strong blast of cold water, and let them dry outside in the sun (every once in a while that is). This is after a few test hops without socks to ensure I wouldn't get hot spots or blisters.

You could look at this a number of ways - your shoes will get wet either from you or if the weather conditions dish out rain. You should be prepared for anything. I'm not an expert on shoe materials, but I'm sure they'll sustain getting wet. The shoes will dry out, but follow the advice of others in this forum - air drying is best.

You could look at it another way - $100 running shoes at some reasonable interval or using cheaper shoes, getting more leg pain, and possible medical problems that sideline you and result in something far more expensive.
2006-01-08 12:26 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Thanks for all the replies! I really appreciate it!

I guess I'm just being overly cautious... eh? In the future... I will use my *good* shoes for racing as well.

I can't believe I wore old running shoes in a race... because I didn't want to get them wet!

2006-01-08 3:28 PM
in reply to: #319279

Elite
Laurium, MI
my old beater shoes that I wore all the time, regardless of weather lasted forever and they got wet quite frequently. Considering running shoes are toast after 500 miles, you could probably soak them down regularly and you wouldn't see degredation until after you wore them out from use.

I'm still confused how your running shoes are getting wet. If you are wearing synthetic socks and vented cycling shoes, then they should dry out during the ride. If you're wearing a tri suit or similar material, the rest of you should dry equally as fast. They might still be a tad damp, but that's it. If its sweat that's doing it, well I don't think you'd be sweating less during running then during riding, so they'll get wet regardless.

Edited by vortmax 2006-01-08 3:29 PM
2006-01-08 6:16 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I'm still confused how your running shoes are getting wet. If you are wearing synthetic socks and vented cycling shoes, then they should dry out during the ride. If you're wearing a tri suit or similar material, the rest of you should dry equally as fast. They might still be a tad damp, but that's it. If its sweat that's doing it, well I don't think you'd be sweating less during running then during riding, so they'll get wet regardless.

Well... I wear cycling socks. They aren't cotton... not sure if they are quick dry, but they are thin.

My cycling shoes are not vented. So, they don't dry out during the ride. I do wear tri gear... the same outfit from the swim, bike, run.... but when I run out... and hit the transition area, and I stand there and put on my socks... all the water on me at that points drains into my socks/cycling shoes.

I'm just overly cautious.... I will start running with my wet socks... it sounds like it won't matter.

2006-01-08 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
fort collins
Wet or dry does not matter to a triathlete cause we are crazy like that. Couch potatoes hate to get there running shoes wet
2006-01-09 10:08 AM
in reply to: #319279

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
KSH - 2006-01-08 12:26 PM
I guess I'm just being overly cautious... eh? In the future... I will use my *good* shoes for racing as well.

I can't believe I wore old running shoes in a race... because I didn't want to get them wet!

That made me laugh..........dirty shoes just make you look more experienced

2006-01-09 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
MD
I always have 2 pair of 'active' running shoes for training/racing. I stagger the purchase so that I buy a brand new pair when my current pair is about halfway through its life, and I overlap the training between the 2 pairs.

I gradually start running the newer pair to break them in, then reserve them for long training runs and racing. I try to keep them as pristine as I can and limit when they get wet. The older pair will continue to perform well as my training shoes and as a backup pair, also for runs when there is rain, snow, and/or mud that can mess them up. This pair is officially retired when I purchase the next new pair and eventually becomes the lawnwork/weekend shoe.

You can save money on shoes a few ways. I no longer buy sneakers to just wear around on weekends, to the store, etc. I find that my running shoes wear out for running long before that start looking really bad, so I just use my older running shoes as my everyday shoes. Of course, they have quick lock laces on them which some people find amusing ("what's up dude, can't tie your shoes or something?"). Also, once you have decided what shoes your like to run in, it becomes a little easier to find good bargains.

I run in the ASICS GT 2100 line of running shoes, which retail new for about $90. To keep costs down I've found that if I am willing to run in last year's model, I can save substantial money. The key is finding them at the point where they are trying to clear out the end-of-year inventory to make room for next year's models. For example, at Dick's sporting goods, Asics are generally on sale in November/December for about 30% off - so I can find my $90 shoes for around $60. I also ask for Dick's gift certificates as gift ideas, and I save them up for my next running shoe purchase.

Even better - races that have a pre-race expo often sell the end-of-year models for half price or better. The vendors are often willing to barter, especially if you offer to purchase more than one pair at a time. I've seen my chosen ASICS shoe for $40/pair at these expos, and I had a guy willing to sell me two pairs for $75. Hard to beat that discount.

I've had only limited success using the internet to find good deals, but then again I haven't tried very hard.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting your running shoes wet- does it hurt the shoes? Rss Feed