United States
Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Desperados
Age Group Rank = 18/30
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race, I was up way later than I planned. We were out until 10:00. When we got home, all I needed to do was finish packing my T bag and re-check my bike. Luckily, while checking my bike, I noticed my left pedal was completely off the shaft. Some of the threads were striped. I tried to wsap pedals with my road bike, but I could not get them off my tri bike. I put some locktite on the threads and screwed it back on. Just as I tightened it, all the power went off! We had a hell of a storm come thru Sat night. I finished getting my bike and bag ready by candle and flash light. It was about midnight when I finally got to bed. I had to set my watch for an alarm! The power came back on about 3:00am. I got up, set my alarm clock, turned off all the lights in the house and went back to bed. I was up for the day at 4:45. I had 2 bottles of water and about 20 oz of poweraide and a bagle with a teaspoon of raspberry jam for beakfast.
Event warmup:

Since I live so close to the race site, I rode my bike (about 1 1/2 miles)to the transition. After I set up transition, I ate a cliff bar, ran about 5 mins, had the long walk to swim start then swam for a few mins before my start.
Swim
  • 25m 31s
  • 930 meters
  • 02m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was at the race site the night before the race and viewed the course, I think this first bouy moved out further due to the storm the night before. Based on my swim time, I think it was around the 1000m not 800m distance. There were not that many of us in the Desporato/Annie Oakley group about 40 or so, but I still had lots of contact. I was slightly kicked in the forehead, elbowed in the ribs, grabbed hard on the leg and lots of other hand/foot contact. I could not see past my elbow with face in water with goggles on, so running into someone and making contact was easy to do. Sighting was very good, I did not swim off course at all. We did bottle neck at the end of the swim, had to breaststroke a litle just to see were I was. Getting out, I kicked the concrete bottom and scratched/bruised/bloodied my big toe on right foot. It did not bother me on the bike or swim. I had an easier swim in this race then I did at Try-Andy's_tri in the pool last week. I now prefer to race OW.
What would you do differently?:

I think I was well trained for this swim. I prolly should have swam a little more to be faster, but overall, I am please with my performance.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

When I got out of the water, I looked at my watch-it said 25 mins!!! I was a little bummed about have a 25 min swim time for a 800m distance. Swim exit was in the middle of the long transition row. It took me over a minute to run to my bike. I talked to a few of the other racers and they were also confused about their swim times. I sat down to put my socks on due to feeling a little dizzy. I drank about half of a water bottle and about 2/3 of a poweraide bottle. I pulled my gloves on, ran with my bike to the bike start. It took well over a minute to run through transition. I was all the way at the end.

Next year I will compete as an age grouper instead of Desperato, I will have a better spot for bike start/finish and run start exits.
Bike
  • 58m 32s
  • 20 miles
  • 20.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was a 10 mile out, U-turn then back 10 for a 20 mile race. The whole way there I was really moving. We had a great tailwind, I reached over 30MPH!!!! After the turnaround, it was a differant story. HEADWIND. I had trouble getting over 20MPH. I drank 3 watter bottles on the bike, the heat and headwind made me feel dry. I had to pee starting at mile 13 and I was NOT going to pee on my bike!!!
I was glad when it was over.

Not drink as much
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

It took me over 2 mins just to get to the back of transition (desperato section). T2 could have been very quick otherwise.

Next year I will compete as an age grouper instead of Desperato, I will have a better spot for bike start/finish and run start exits.
Run
  • 50m 39s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I looked for a porta can in T2, but it was on the other side of a fence. I had to pee real bad!!! I asked a volunteer, she said it was around the corner, it was NOT. I found it at about 1 mile. I ran off course to the can!! I had a much better run after that.
It was very hot. I kept a good pace. I saw a friend, Jill, and Jermaine. The run was hard, but not impossible.

Not drink so much on the bike!
Post race
Warm down:

My wife and kids were waiting for me at the finish line! I walked over to the shade and leaned on a tree. After about 10 mins, I got some food, hung out with Michael, Chad, Jill, and Jermaine and walked about 1/2 mile Bonnie's car. She drove the rest of the way home, I rode my bike, it was only about another 1/2 mile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the heat and the crappy transition location, the only limiting factor was me, again.

Event comments:

I had a good race. It was nice to be in my community for this race. I have watched it for a few years, so to race it was special.

Last updated: 2005-08-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:31 | 930 meters | 02m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Tri shorts
Course: This is in a man made nieghborhood lake. The water is VERY murky. Visability is only about 8 inches with goggles on! Once started, there was a pretty quik, minor left turn. We swam to a buoy and made a right hand U-turm (more on this in my comments), we then swam for a long while to the next bouy across the lake and went to the left, finally snaking through a narrow opening and made a final left turn to the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:58:32 | 20 miles | 20.50 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:39 | 05 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Course: Run course was in and around the nieghborhoods. Since i live in Cinco Ranch, it was very farmilliar to me.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-17 5:45 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2006-01-17 5:47 PM
in reply to: #326155

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
For some reason, I had this saved as a draft?? I did this race last August.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed