OptionResults
'Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites'1 Votes - [33.33%]
"The Healthy Kitchen"2 Votes - [66.67%]
This is a multiple choice poll.

2006-01-29 9:53 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: COOKBOOK REVIEW - JANUARY VOTE
so, january is almost over. i thought we could vote as to which cookbook we liked the most and why.

for me, i like moosewood. for starters, i already own it! plus, i like the portion sizes. most meals are easy to make. drawbacks - some of the dishes start to taste the same, since they often rely on the same low-fat ingredients.

i like 'the healthy kitchen' and since i've had it out from the library 2-3 times now, i should probably just buy it. some of the portioning was a tad confusing, or at least difficult (who wants to portion out ALL of a dish just to figure out what one portion is?). it would be nice if they had the portions by size (1 cup) or weight (10 oz) instead of just a percentage of the recipe.

really though, i like both a lot. many of the new recipes we tried this month are keepers.

NEXT MONTH - 3 books! two were in the poll and gathered the most votes. The other was a suggestion by Kate that looked interesting and was available through my library, so i selfishly tossed in to the mix for feb.:

The Fitness Cookbook, by Carmichael and Rutberg
The High-Protein Cookbook, by Eckhardt and Defoyd
The Essential EatingWell Cookbook, by Patricia Jamieson

If you aren't already part of the book club but would like to be, just get a copy of one or more of the books listed above and start cooking!

2006-01-30 8:18 AM
in reply to: #334164

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: COOKBOOK REVIEW - JANUARY VOTE

I didn't get a chance to check out the Moosewood book (not at my library), so I'm not going to vote.

I checked out 'The Healthy Kitchen,' but I wasn't a big fan.  The portion size was also an issue for me, especially because there are only two people in my house.  Most of the recipes my husband wouldn't eat - they were a little too strange and exotic for him.  The few recipes we did make were pretty good, but they were definitely for days that I have a little more time to cook.  Overall, I don't think this is a book I would buy.

2006-01-30 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
I voted for Healthy Kitchen, since Moosewood is vegetarian and I like a bit-o-lean meat in my diet

First month was fun, look forward to February!
2006-02-03 10:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
I'm a huge fan of A Man, A Can, A Microwave, and A Man, A Can, A Plan. They are awesome cookebooks with great recipes
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » COOKBOOK REVIEW - JANUARY VOTE Rss Feed