General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
Hughston Orthopedic
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 30m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had oatmeal w/banana and water before the race. Riding in the car for a hour and a half...the weather was nasty.
Event warmup:

Just a little stretching and chatting in line for the bathroom.
Run
  • 2h 30m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't run great. My plan was to run 1/2 mile, walk a minute. This got jumbled up. I had my Garmin 301 on but since it was on wooded trails, it wasn't totally accurate. Thats ok though. Towards the end, I just went by what I could do and what I couldn't do. I tried to run as much as possible without stopping, but with my feet hurting like they were, I had to stop and walk to get the blood and feeling back. It was like running on stumps at the end. That is miserable.
What would you do differently?:

Train more, probably not wear long pants. The rain soaked through them...though I did stay warm. The ball cap was a life saver.
Post race
Warm down:

water, eating, getting the very wet clothes off my bod. I waited around for a few hours, slept for part of that time, didn't drink like I should have. I paid for this by blacking out on the floor for a minute. That was really weird. That will teach me to keep drinking after the race. Once I drank some fluid, I was fine.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training and tons of hills. I am having problems with the balls of my feet hurting...this was after mile 6 or so...and my time slowed noticeably. I have a huge bloody blister on my second toe...which is painful. I think I could have done much better if I didn't have the foot problem.

Event comments:

I waited for the marathon finishers since my BF was running the marathon. I was really pissed when the organizers started tearing down the finish line more than a half hour before the race was to close. The guy doing it was smoking a ciggie and prolly hasn't seen his feet in years. This didn't impress me. When asked to not tear the signs down, (it wasn't me) he said, 'I have been out here since 5:30 and I am ready to go home'. In my opinion, this is poor. There were lots more finishers and the course was still officially open. The event was good besides the laziness of those particular people. BTW, my BF finished well before the race course closed and came home with a plaque. Yay!

Last updated: 2006-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:30:54 | 13.1 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: It was in a park...beautiful scenery, very hilly. The trails sections were a little uneven, but I am used to running on those types of trails. It was well marked. I wasn't too impressed with the cars going up and down the race course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-29 9:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon

2006-01-30 6:55 AM
in reply to: #334472

Subject: RE: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon
nice run!! fairly hilly course egh? Congrats on you and your bf!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed