General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fell off the calorie wagon into a puddle of carmel... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-01 3:55 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
Subject: fell off the calorie wagon into a puddle of carmel...
well, carmel corn anyway. why did i ever learn how to make that stuff? i really thought i could make it and only eat a handful. who am i kidding!? pure evil. tastes great, but then i feel awful after i eat it - both pangs of guilty and a tummy full of crud.

lets see - 1/2 stick of butter = 405 calories, 49 grams of fat; 1/2 cup of brown sugar = 415 calories; 1/8 cup corn syrup = 94 calories; 1/4 cup peanuts = 166 calories; 8 cups of air popped pop corn = 248 calories. i'm just over 2000 for the day since the rest of my day was very light - probably why i ended up eating so much of the caramel corn - but 75% of my daily calories in one sitting? ugh! only ended up with 1/3 the amount of protein for the day for the calories i took in. double UGH! i am now WAY over for fat for the day, and maxed out for calories, even after i walk to the pool and swim for 30+ minutes (assuming i only make up for 25% of those burned calories). triple UGH! i didn't even get enough carbs in since so much of this was from fat fat fat!

why do i even still allow corn syrup to be in the house? am going to go dump it down the drain. not a good way to start the month off. next time something like this comes up (binging on crap) i'm going to put on my wetsuit before cooking or eating and see how it fits

2006-02-01 4:07 PM
in reply to: #336654

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Subject: RE: fell off the calorie wagon into a puddle of carmel...
Aww.. there there. *giving autumn a hug*

It's only the 1st day of the month. Hop on the bike and bike for a couple of miles and you will feel better. And give away/throw away the rest of the corn syrup/caramel corn. Out of sight, out of mind.
2006-02-01 4:15 PM
in reply to: #336666

User image

molto veloce mama
thanks, denise. the corn syrup is getting dumped for sure. the rest of the carmel corn is downstairs out of sight, and i have a sleeping toddler in my lap, so i can't go get any more. my husband will be home soon and he can finish it off. whatever is left when i come back from the pool is getting thrown out.

i'm swimming tonight for sure, and walking to the pool, which is about 1.5 miles away. i have 15 miles planned on the bike tomorrow morning, plus yoga tomorrow night. i was supposed to run today in addition to swimming, but the snow is so thick and sticky that it would have been torture pushing the jogging stroller. running usually curbs my appetite, and i guess i needed that today! i may try and get up early for a short run, depending on if we get freezing rain tomorrow or not...otherwise i could probably get 20-30 mins of running in before yoga tomorrow night.
2006-02-02 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
This is sort of off topic, but related. When our body craves something - what the HECK does that mean? Some people say listen to your body, you are missing some nutrient and need to nourish your body and soul. Others say you are addicted, and your body is craving the bad things.

I had meat cravings last week. I couldn't get enough meaty, salty, fatty stuff. Sometimes it is chocolate. Sometimes, sickly sweet things. But the cravings come and go.

Do we give into cravings or do we fight them? Yes to carmel popcorn or no?
2006-02-02 3:48 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-02 5:19 PM

molto veloce mama
yea, i wonder that too. with a sweet craving, i could have made a better choice than making carmel corn. i can also make kettle corn, which also has sugar and fat, but in much smaller amound and makes my taste buds happy w/o being 1000+ calories. i get the salty craving a lot, but that is easily taken care of w/ pretzels and hummus, or plain popcorn (do we sense a popcorn theme here?). i think the cravings may very well be our body telling us something...its a matter of how we respond to it. i don't think we should ignore it completely, but respond to it with sensitivity and prudence.

2006-02-02 7:37 PM

Master
A Prairie Home
Interesting topic of discussion, ladies. When you say you crave for cookies, did you feel like all you wanted to eat was cookie? Could you satisfy your craving by eating 1 cookie?

I mean, I have cravings too. But probably a little different from yours. I don't crave for one kind of food. Instead, I crave for food period and I eat a lot. You can call it binge eating, I suppose.
2006-02-02 7:45 PM
in reply to: #337779

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-02-03 2:39 AM

Master
Granvile, Ohio

I have a BIG problem with stress eating.   Whenever things get stressful, the first thing I think about is cookies!  If I could just have cookies, everything would be better.  I'm in the tax business, so just getting started in a MAJOR stressful period of the year.  I've already had the cookie cravings twice this week and have so far been able to resist.  One thing I am trying this year is to increase my healthy meals to every two hours when I'm having a bad day.  I can usually get through the really bad cravings knowing I can eat a healthy alternative on a regular basis.  It always gives me a boost of confidence when I get through, but sometimes, my brain slips entirely out of gear and I just want to eat everything I see.  Thankfully, these periods are getting less and less frequent as I learn more about nutrition and properly fueling my body.  Food is such a huge issue with me - I wish it wasn't but I'm learning to accept it and make the best of it.

Tam

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fell off the calorie wagon into a puddle of carmel... Rss Feed