General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and looking for advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-10-21 6:14 PM

Subject: New and looking for advice
Hi,

I am a 32 year old male in the Army. I work out on a regular basis and have finally decided to try and follow a dream. Ever since I was a little kid, I can remember watching the Ironman on TV. I always thought that seemed very cool and now I have decided I want to start participating in Triathlon's. I have a few questions though. My biggest one is how do I find a first race? I have found a few local ones in my area (Washington D.C.) but I am not sure if they are my level or if they are solely competitve. Any advice on a choosing a first race would be welcome. Also, as for training...I currently run 3 miles three days a week, I swim 750 meters twice a week and I bike about 50 miles three times a month. Where should I start and how should I tailor a training program.

Thanks for any help...

2003-10-21 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1365

Veteran
Brisbane-Melbourne, Australia
Subject: RE: New and looking for advice
Hey mate looks like were in the same trade. Dont worry about you level, we all have a starting point, and most races will have different levels from pro to novice. Training, look at the training page, you might want to break up your rides to include weekly.

Craig
2003-10-22 9:06 AM
in reply to: #1365

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: New and looking for advice

if your running 3 miles 3 times/week and swimming twice a week already...u should be ready for a sprint now (~0.6mile swim+12.4mile bike and+3miles run)  - may have to get your swim to 1000m ~0.6miles - the swim can vary from race to race.  like craig said, try to get your biking to 2 times/week and also work on a few bike/run bricks - bricking it.  although if u have 4-6months till u can participate...u can always double up and go for the olympic length!

i think i have just posted another answer to trianing program today...basically 2-3 workouts for each event per week with 1-2 rest days off per week.  dont' violate the 10% rule...getting_started

good luck!!!  u know where to find us if any ???'s

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New and looking for advice Rss Feed