USA Events Management
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 32s
Overall Rank = 63/121
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Really my pre-race routine was very different. I "accidentally" carbo loaded for three days. Pasta, rice and pizza for the three days prior to the race. I also drank a few beers with the pizza last night. It seemed to work. I had energy the whole race. No low blood sugar dips.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the block with Corey and a few short jogs just to keep warm before the festivities began.
Run
  • 15m 32s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I had to stop and tie both shoes about 100 feet into the race. While it was only probably 10 seconds worth of time it was kind of frustrating because my fingers were numb. But I got it fixed and drove on.
What would you do differently?:

Put the Yanks on my shoes. Other than that I didn't wear a watch so I was going by "feel" on the run. I know it was a pretty fast pace for me but I never run just two miles. Maybe I could start training a little more specifically for each event. So basically that means do more 2 mile runs at higher speeds to get a feel for paceing.

I would also run a little more the two weeks prior to the race. My milage was really low and I only ran a 5 miler last Sunday (6) days ago.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Drank some water in T1. Changed into shoes without difficulty.
Bike
  • 32m 28s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.48 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, it is kind of funny. Last year when I did this race we accidently put my wheel on the wrong way so I had no idea on how fast I was going. This year I jump on the bike and I am getting no readings. The magnet must have gotten pushed off line. So this year, again, I was riding by feel. After 2 min or so I just said "forget it" and rode.

And I rode Sting (the tri-bike)... I felt great even with the strong gusts of wind. I pasted people strong and really felt great on the bike. My sunglasses fogged up right at the begging but I could see well enough to keep going and eventually the cleared. Other than that it was one of my best bike leggs in a race.

Nothing. Last year I averaged 14.4 mph... this year it was much better. :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

These transitions are estimates. The transitions are actually included in the bike portion of the course. I drank some water and put my shoes on!

Yanks! My hands were not any warmer after the ride....infact it was worse. But I double knotted them because I didn't want any problems while I ran.
Run
  • 16m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Much better second run than last year.

Not much.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and ran the second run with RugbyKid.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really except me having a brain fart and not running for 6 days prior to the race.

Event comments:

I did want to point out that I didn't drink the whole race. I didn't bring any water bottles on the bike with me. It was cold enough that I knew sweating was not going to be an issue. And I was right.

I also noticed that even on the second run there was steam coming off my breath. To say the least, it was chilly. I am SO glad I wore the leg warmers.

This is my best race ever. I made virtually no mistakes. I built some confidence on the bike AND the run. One of my goals this year was to move up to front of BOP or back of MOP and it seems to be within reach now.

I realise it is just a short Duathlon but compared to last year I can see improvement which has really motivated me to start training harder. I needed something like this to pump me up and now I can't wait to get into the pool and try to make some big strides there also!

Last updated: 2005-12-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:32 | 02 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 72/121
Performance: Good
Course: Course was flat with lots of 90 degree turns. All very manageable. Path was clearly marked and lots of volunteers and police to protect us from traffic. I love having alot of police.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:32:28 | 10 miles | 18.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 58/121
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back. The first part of the coarse is rough and had some corners. I really didn't want to accelerate until I hit the straight and smooth part. The wind was really strong and it hit you from every angle at some point in the race. It made me laugh to see riders actually leaning into the wind when it was hitting us from the side. Lots of gusts which I really didn't feel all that much on my bike while in the aero position. I actually passed 14 people on the bike. My legs felt strong despite the extreme lack of riding the last few weeks. I really hope to do better next month.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:31 | 02 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 66/121
Course: Same course. Except it seemed longer this time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-02-11 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Evangeline Oaks Duathlon

2006-02-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: #343821

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Evangeline Oaks Duathlon
Great job, Matt!  What a great motivator for this season!  All your hard work in the off season is paying off!  Maybe I'll try the pizza and beer carbo-load for my next race!
2006-02-11 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job and great debute for Sting. To bad they didn't have swim for ya'll in that cold weather.
2006-02-13 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Nice race!! 40 is cold!! That must have been fun jumping on the bike in the wind.
2006-02-13 12:58 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Awesome race!    So great to have those "confidence booster" races
2006-02-13 2:01 PM

Master
Shreveport, LA
Great job!

You should make your way up to Shreveport for the Tinman or River Cities. Lot's of BTers come in Aug to RiverCities.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evangeline Oaks Duathlon Rss Feed