General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting frustrated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-02-13 3:24 PM

Ottawa, Canada
Subject: getting frustrated
I have been trying to lose weight for a while now. I am 5'9" and weigh 220lbs at 27 years old. I have a large muscular build lying beneath from my football, soccer and bodybuilding days. I am very active (mountain biking, road biking, running, softball, soccer, etc.), but I cannot seem to reduce my waistline. I eat healthy, no fried foods. I don't eat after 8:00pm and I have breakfast every day.

I had my thyroid checked, but it is fine. I don't know if I'm not eating enough or if I'm consuming too many carbs, but it is my understanding that to maintain an energy level consistant with someone who is training for a Triathlon, you must consume a lot of carbohydrates.

I am just wondering if I should be worrying about losing weight first, before seriously training for a Triathlon. I carry my weight very well, but I know that I won't be 27 forever.

If anyone has some advice, it would be much appreciated.

2006-02-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: #345001

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: getting frustrated
I am at times in the same situation. 6ft 250(down from 265) The way I am training I should be dropping like its crazy but I have a feeling my nutrition is way low. Now I am regretting those mass building days and trying to squat 600 lbs and bench 350 but I guess like with all things it just takes time. Keep it up and you can do it. I use fitday. com now to track mine and it seems to be high as far as calories burned but it gives me a good idea. Good luck and stick with it.
2006-02-13 3:56 PM

Regular
Texas
if you use fitday just make sure to mark your self as having a sedentary life style.

2006-02-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: #345035

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
rb85cj7 - 2006-02-13 3:56 PM

if you use fitday just make sure to mark your self as having a sedentary life style.

I second that I had to go back and change mine to sedentary because it had me burning a huge amount of calories just living!
2006-02-13 7:21 PM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
You don't have anything logged so I can't comment on any workouts. I have struggled with weight loss and training. I only race sprints so I always trained the minimum. Now that I have several years of training behind me I have a better idea as to how to lose the weight and keep it off. When I started to increase my distances for training and varied my intensities. I always ran the bare minimum when it came to running and was frustrated because people said I would lose the weight when I ran. So I ran 3-4 miles. It was until I started to increase my mileage that I saw some weight loss. I also varied my intensities with all of my workouts. Sometimes I would do just a sprint swim workout or just a long steady easy day. I kept my changing my routines so my body wouldn't adapt too quickly. Try to do atleast 45 minutes of cardio a day. If you can do more great. Build your base first and foremost. Don't get frustrated and do something your not prepared for and injure yourself because then you won't be able to do anything.
2006-02-16 4:18 PM

Ottawa, Canada
The advice has been much appreciated. I have signed up on fitday.com, it should help track my calorie intake much better now. From what I can see, my training is coming along nicely, so I guess it's just a matter of being patient.

I have been varying my intensities on workouts, but it has more or less to break the monotony. Should I be concentrating more on higher intensity workouts (75-80%) or should it be more on lower intensity and more time (65-70%)? Which is the most effective method of burning fat?

2006-02-16 5:01 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

I understand your frustration.  I've been training and watching my diet since June, but I haven't lost any weight.  I have, however, gained a lot of muscle and lost some body weight.  You may not be losing weight, but are you changing at all in the way you look or the way your clothes fit?  You mentioned reducing your waistline - do you take your measurements every month or so? 

As a bit of advice, when you use fitday with a non-sedentary lifestyle, make sure to log how much you sleep each day.  It will make a big difference in your base amount of calories burned.  Also, weighing and measuring your food will help a lot in the beginning to make sure that you are eating the right sized portions.

I wish I had more advice for you.  Hang in there.  I think it will get better for you.

2006-02-16 5:29 PM

User image

new orleans
How often are you training? A lot of people think that because you are training for a triathlon, you will lose weight. The only time I ever see any weight decrease personally is when I am training for long distance runs (1/2 marathon and above). If you think about it, by running 3 mile, you are only burning 300 calories (approxmately). That is nothing compared to the 2 or 3000 calories you are consuming each day. Try to eat low-fat and lots of veggies and fruit. Its all a basic equation, if you burn more than you consume, you are guarenteed to lose weight. You are definitely healthier by excercising though!
2006-02-17 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

Its probably in what you eat.  I went from about 13% to 7%.  Everything needs to be in check.

Eating - I found out that the body builders and enduarnce runners/bikers really did not eat that differently.  50% of calories from Protein etc.  Have to watch overall calories.  Carbs are usually the killer.

I'm with the other poster on distance.  Running 3 miles is a pretty weak exercise (you may be doing more) for example.  Especially if you are doing something slow like 10 min miles.  Whatevery your pace, kick it up by 30 sec per mile.  Dont think too much about it, you can do it.  Just do it.

2006-02-18 10:46 AM

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
Numbers can lie!!!

Everything has to be taken as a whole. My general think is that if your just starting out you shouldn't use your weight as a standard of comparison. Your body composition is going to start to change: your muscles are going to start growing, fat areas are going to start to be used as a fuel source. Depending on your genes this process could take a serious length of time. Sooner or later you'll notice, "hey, I can't pinch as much fat on my arm as I could X months ago." Or "OMG, whats that on my shoulder... ohhh thats a muscle." Those are the changes you should be looking for. Your weight can fluctuate many pounds in just a few days. If I cut back on my water intake and increase cardio by a modest amount I can lose ~ 10 lbs in 2 days. But that doesn't means squat, because my body is exactly the same, expect for it's dehydrated. I like to take picture of my body every foew weeks so I can go back and compare and see where I'm improving, It also helps on the motivation.

The main point: Use the body as a whole for comparison, not just one number.
2006-02-18 10:52 AM
in reply to: #347761

User image

Expert
Livermore, Ca
georgialaw - 2006-02-16 5:29 PM
Try to eat low-fat and lots of veggies and fruit.

Fruit is like the devils candy when your trying to lose fat. While it is healthier than alot of other food you could eat. It still contains high levels sugars which are general bad when your trying to lose fat.

2006-02-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #348878

User image

nbo10 - 2006-02-18 8:52 AM

georgialaw - 2006-02-16 5:29 PM
Try to eat low-fat and lots of veggies and fruit.

Fruit is like the devils candy when your trying to lose fat. While it is healthier than alot of other food you could eat. It still contains high levels sugars which are general bad when your trying to lose fat.

I disagree. There are lots of fruits out there that are low in sugar and carbs, that can be incorporated into any diet - whether you're looking to lose fat or not. Yes, if you go out there and eat bananas and mangos til the cows come home, then sure, you won't lose much fat at all.. but fruits such as strawberries, grapefruit, plums and blueberries are low in sugar and also provide a lot of essential vitamins and antioxidants.
2006-02-18 5:56 PM

User image

Master
A Prairie Home
Yeah, I think fruits are fine if you avoid the super sweet ones like grapes, honey dew and pineapples. Of course, too much of a good thing is never good. I try to adhere to the 3 servings of vegetables; 2 servings of fruits (say, 1 banana + 1 grapefruit) a day. However, I usually end up eating 3 servings of fruits and 2 servings of veggies instead. Which brings us to the next topic: Portion Control. Yes, one must watch the portion size. I am like a goldfish, I would eat eat eat and never knowing that I have already eaten beyond my caloric allowance.

Edited by Denise2003 2006-02-18 5:56 PM
2006-02-20 3:12 PM
in reply to: #348873

Ottawa, Canada
I think you and Artemis are right. I haven't noticed any movement in my weight, but I have noticed that my clothes are looser and that I look thinner. I think I will go buy a measuring tape and keep track that way until I can actually see it on the scale. The camera idea seems to make sense as well. I used to do it all the time when I was bodybuilding in college, so it only makes sense to do it now.

I guess I am doing better than I first thought, so it is just a matter of being patient. Now I just need to control my diet a bit better to make sure I am getting the right amount of calories. I have a tendency to not eat enough, especially breakfast.

Thanks again.
2006-02-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: #348888

Ottawa, Canada
I do eat enough fruits and vegetables on a daily basis, but I tend not to eat enough of other foods to keep my energy level up so it is a full-time job just to coax myself to eat enough. Breakfast is my hardest time, but I'm getting much better now that I have signe up on fitday.com to track my diet.
2006-02-20 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
I know you're trying to loose weight, but remember this - don't forget to eat some fat in your diet. The balanced approach is best, and it seems like that's what you're going for.

2006-02-21 4:31 PM
in reply to: #350374

Ottawa, Canada
I'm definately going for the balanced approach. So far I'm trying to maintain a 60% carb, 30% protein and 10% fat. Should I be consuming more fat?
2006-02-21 5:24 PM
in reply to: #351321

User image

biohazard - 2006-02-21 2:31 PM

I'm definately going for the balanced approach. So far I'm trying to maintain a 60% carb, 30% protein and 10% fat. Should I be consuming more fat?

Yes. 10% is much too low.

A good resource on this site is TH3_FRB's "My Diet Philosophy" thread.. he’s got a lot of good advice when it comes to nutrition. Here’s the link:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2006-02-22 8:45 AM

Greensboro, NC
I am a big guy too, 6'3 240, and I didn't even begin to start losing weight until I started to train for an olympic and then a 1/2 IM. I think it was a combination of the longer runs and rides and working out twice a day 2 times per week. When I trained for my first oly I started doing 60/60 bricks on Sunday and I went from 250 to 240 pretty fast.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting frustrated Rss Feed