General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coolidge, Arizona
United States
City of Casa Grande
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 27s
Overall Rank = 34/291
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 5/26
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 3 and ate some brown rice cereal and oj. Had to put my bike rack on cuz it stormed last nite. Went by Jason's(jclarke450) and headed out. We were the 1st ones there and got the prime spot on the bike racks.
Event warmup:

Ran out to the end of the parking lot and back. I got the worst bloody nose I probably have had in the last 12 years or so....I went back to trasnsition and got my Carmex and put it in each nostril. I am guessing the cold and wind got my sinuses dried out. Jay and I met up with Sue and we 3 basically started the race together. Start was in 10 second intervals...I ran in place and stretched my booty cheeks out real good and got my hr up before entering the water.
Swim
  • 08m 27s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was really hoping I could get this under 8 minutes....would've known had I started my watch. Didn't start my watch til I got to the timing mat outside the pool area.
What would you do differently?:

Start my watch at the start of the race!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Was geared up and at the bike mount line in less than a minute, was very pleased with my T1. Practiced these pretty heavy on Thu and Fri night. Only extra I added from a normal race was arm warmers. I knew if I added ny long sleeve shirt, it would have taken forever....

Absolutely nothing!
Bike
  • 37m 9s
  • 10.93 miles
  • 17.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Hammered this bike portion, even though my time didn't show it.... It was gusty and pretty breezy. Felt like my effort was just right. Really felt good about my bike considering the conditions. Didn't feel cold at all.

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Same story, virtually aced my T2! All transition time was in the bike portion of this race.

Nothing!
Run
  • 23m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Came shot out of a cannon from bike corral!!! Was really ready to get this thing going! About 1 mile in, caught up with a youngster that was on a relay team. I could tell he didn't want me passing him. About 3/4 a mile later, he caught back up with me. We ran together until about 1/4 mile to go and we both took off, I just didn't have the take off he did! Lol! Anyway, he definately helped me push the 2nd half of the run and couldn't find him afterwards to thank him and let him know I enjoyed the run!

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had a 10 minute cough attack afterwards and waited for Sue and Jason at the finish line!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe being sick all week hindered my performance a bit, but I don't make excuses. One more week, might have made a difference considering I just did a 1/2 iron 13 days ago. But I was still pleased with this performance. Felt like my sickness hit me with about 1/2 mile left in the race. felt like crap the rest off the day and just rested...

Event comments:

Considering the course was altered and the weather conditions changed the bike portion drastically, I felt comparing this race to the last 2 were not a fair assessment of how much progress I have made since last year...Also, when resultds were 1st posted they had the 5 year increments in the age groups listed, then changed it to 10 year. It had me listed 3rd place out of 12 people in my age group(40-44). 5th out of 26th for 40-49 is what was posted today so, either way. I was happy with this race! Really had a great time!

Last updated: 2011-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:27 | 437 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/26
Overall: 62/291
Performance: Average
155 most of the way
Suit: FCA jersey and Aevero tri shorts
Course: 50m pool, serpentine swim.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:09 | 10.93 miles | 17.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/26
Overall: 35/291
165/170
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Officially is a 10.3 mile course, every year my cyclometer says 10.8/10.9..
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:51 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/26
Overall: 51/291
165/170
Course: Was mostly off road course out the north end of campus! Love this course. Course was modified from years past and was definately longer. Went out and around the softball fields instead of cutting into the west side. Actually,it is probably more accurate now.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-06 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
Subject: 20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon

2011-11-06 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3835910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: RE: 20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon
Awesome job Todd, and a great RR!
2011-11-07 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3835910

User image

Expert
Casa Grande
Subject: RE: 20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon

Todd,

Was a great race and I could tell your were pumped from the time we got there.  Wish I could have had the same energy.  Looking forward to racing with you more.  And yes I mean racing WITH you not so far behind you! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 20th Annual Desert Grande Triathlon Rss Feed