of 3

2006-03-08 12:54 PM
in reply to: #364181

User image

Veteran
Kalamazoo, MI
Subject: RE: Motor City Triathlon
rkreuser - 2006-03-08 12:40 PM

Big picture:  Closed course, awesome location, 3D organizing it (a good organization), builds the tri community, and continues with Detroit's renaissance...what's not to like?

However, just like any other thing I'd buy or event I'd attend, if there are legit safety or event considerations, I'd be shortchanging ourselves by not asking about 'em.  And because of the venue itself and the fact that it's a first-year event - for better or worse - the event will get more scrutiny than most others.  That's just how it is...

So, even though I'm STILL not running it, I'll volunteer to be on point to dig for the facts, and I'll coordinate sending an eMail to the RD to ensure we've got the information straight from the horse's mouth (so to speak).

Topics that I'm cueing up in the eMail are below - and they're all either based on my personal experience OR the experience of a friend that ran the last tri on Belle Isle, so in my mind, they're all legit; please add other questions that might be of interest to you and I'll consolidate and send...and post the response when I receive it.

- Swim course:  Is it inside the breakwall, or outside?  This makes a different as inside is fairly weedy, and outside there's a current to contend with. 

- Swim transition:  How is the footing into / out of the water?   Rocky?  Sandy?  And has the ground been policed for foreign objects?  I haven't personally had this issue, but a friend that ran a tri there maybe 10 years ago said that foreign objects in the entry / exit to a swim were an item to be looked into.

- Swim water quality:  Comment on the standards for water quality / testing.  There have been instances of beach closure due to water quality in Lake St. Clair.

- Bike course:  Comment on the condition of the roads.  Parts of Belle Isle have been repaved for the F1 event, and parts haven't.  What portion of the ride will be on roads that haven't  been repaved recently?

- Transition:  Comment on the security measures to protect bikes the night before, and wetsuits / bikes during.  And if there is a theft, who's responsibility is it?  3D?  The athlete?  This is a legit concern as the last tri on Belle Isle several people had their wetsuits swiped DURING the race (again, long ago...and I assume this will be taken care of, but it's worth confirming).

- Spectators:  Will spectators be allowed onto / off of the island during the event, or do they need to get on the island by a certain time and will be held until a certain time?  Same with athletes?  Will the bridge be closed any part of the time? (this is a situation that happens with the marathon).

This is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to put this together...it's a great example of the BT'er mentality I love so much...your work is much appreciated!

2006-03-08 4:44 PM
in reply to: #349901

User image

Master
Michigan
IMHO I truely think this is will be a great event. From what I have read there are already over 200 people signed up. Also 3D puts on a good event. From what I understand the swim is up river from any waste treatment site etc. I am not worried about security one bit. I am amped, this event will be cool I am sure. The swim is with the current though, heck I might as well take advantage of that, lol. The bike course will pretty much be like a time trial flat and fast.
2006-03-13 9:41 PM

Clinton Twp, MI
I think I'm in for this one. Sounds exciting to be a part of the first one. Not sure about swimming in the river with that current, I've done it recreationally and it's pretty strong. Anyone know how strong the current is where the race is?
2006-03-15 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
Actually from what I understand you will be swimming with the current anyway.
2006-03-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #364120

User image

Veteran
Candler, North Carolina
Jim Mishler - 2006-03-08 11:32 AM

Well...the reputation of 3D to secure a transition area is clean. The reputation of Detroit PD to assist in the security of multibizillions of dollars worth of high end yachts on Belle Isle has never been an issue. Similarly, the teams bringing Formula One machines and gear there has never been an issue. Asking a question when there is no basis for it to me qualifies for a little more harsh response when said questioner offers no basis up front other than odd conjecture.

A local group uses the exact same waterfront and course area for an organized swim every year. Water quality will not be an issue either, pending some sort of catastrophic event unforseen at this point. Compared to what people swam through doing the New York City tri, or another event closer to home on the west side of the state, and a couple others in the region, none of which need to be named...I'll take the Motor CIty Triathlon venue any day of the week.

I am pumped that we get an urban venue with a totally closed course.

Yes...I support 3D's events. Yes I turned the Seahorse over to 3D a few years back. However I enthusiastically support any event I see as being a positive addition to the sport.

If anyone wants to start trashing an event or venue....my position is they should then bring something tangible to the table up front.

WOW... Didn't mean to poop in your Cheerios...
2006-05-11 9:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Update on the Motor City Tri:

According to 3D's website, bikes will not be kept overnight. Everyone will bring them down Sunday morning and you will ride them from T2 to T1 that morning. I hope that alleviates some people's concerns and will get more people to sign up!

2006-05-12 5:50 PM
in reply to: #364181

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Quick update on the Motor City Tri....the race description on 3D's website is very helpful; I've paraphrased the answers to some of the questions we asked earlier...but feel free to peruse HERE for the latest and greatest.

As information, I'll be sending the RD a list of the open questions (see below) for comment, and will post the updates.  Ciao.

- Swim course:  Is it inside the breakwall, or outside?  This makes a different as inside is fairly weedy, and outside there's a current to contend with.

A: The 3D website has a description of the swim;  it's inside the breakwall, and claims to be calm with little current.  Open Items:  Weedy or not, swim depth.

- Swim transition:  How is the footing into / out of the water?   Rocky?  Sandy?  And has the ground been policed for foreign objects?  I haven't personally had this issue, but a friend that ran a tri there maybe 10 years ago said that foreign objects in the entry / exit to a swim were an item to be looked into.

A: Open Item

- Swim water quality:  Comment on the standards for water quality / testing.  There have been instances of beach closure due to water quality in Lake St. Clair

A: Answered explicity on the website.  The following was pulled directly from the 3D site: 

"Detroit River Stigma - We have answered consistant emails on the subject.  The fact is you will be hard pressed to find a cleaner and more clear triathlon swim than this one.  It is not in the shipping lanes, this is the clean waters between Belle Isle and Detroit.  A 15 yr. old mile swim is held in this location and is regarded as one of the clearest swims in the state.  Besides if it were un-safe do you really think we would let you swim in there, let alone what the state or coast guard says.  Not to mention you start and finish at the beach on the island.  See you Sunday morning. "

- Bike course:  Comment on the condition of the roads.  Parts of Belle Isle have been repaved for the F1 event, and parts haven't.  What portion of the ride will be on roads that haven't  been repaved recently?

A:  Open Item

- Transition:  Comment on the security measures to protect bikes the night before, and wetsuits / bikes during.  And if there is a theft, who's responsibility is it?  3D?  The athlete?  This is a legit concern as the last tri on Belle Isle several people had their wetsuits swiped DURING the race (again, long ago...and I assume this will be taken care of, but it's worth confirming).

A: These item has been addressed.  Bike check-in will be the day-of, so there's no concern about bike security overnight. Also, swim gear will be protected by having gear check bags for post swim, numbered by racer which you can pick up after the race. 

One other interesting twist - 3D plans to use TWO transition areas...one for T1 and one for T2.  This will, IMHO, work to address the concerns we had...but will also lead to a fairly complicated - or at least non-standard - T1, T2, and pre-race transition setup....please be sure you read the 3D website so you understand these logistics and can plan accordingly.

- Spectators:  Will spectators be allowed onto / off of the island during the event, or do they need to get on the island by a certain time and will be held until a certain time?  Same with athletes?  Will the bridge be closed any part of the time? (this is a situation that happens with the marathon)

A: Open Item

Edited by rkreuser 2006-05-12 5:59 PM
2006-05-26 9:15 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

rkreuser, seriously, you've got to be kidding me. I sincerely hope you question all of your triathlons this way.

I'd love to see your breakdown of a race that involves an ocean swim.

'Swim: I hear there are sharks in the water. Can you explain if this is true, and if so, are there any guarantees that they won't eat me?'

I'm not sure you realize how silly all this looks. Every triathlon has (potential) issues. If you are this biased against the area, then I'm sure you and everyone else will be better served by you racing somewhere else that day.

As for me, I will be there, along with two others, one is even a first timer at any tri distance. I look forward to this one

2006-05-31 5:35 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member
atl_runner - 2006-05-26 10:15 AM

rkreuser, seriously, you've got to be kidding me. I sincerely hope you question all of your triathlons this way.

Two points to clarify:  first, for any tri I run, yes, I read the website and talk to folks that have done it to get their feedback.  Especially for first-time events.  I'd hope you do, too.  And the fact that 3D had a section on their website devoted to most of these questions shows that we weren't the only ones with these questions.

And second, thanks for attributing all the questions to me.  If you'll look at the previous posts, or had access to my PM box, you'd know that the questions represent those posed to me by others - some vets that have raced or trained on Belle Isle, and some that are just newbies and couldn't find the info they're looking for.  I was trying to help by taking an active role in consolidating information and posting answers. 

I'm not sure you realize how silly all this looks. Every triathlon has (potential) issues. If you are this biased against the area, then I'm sure you and everyone else will be better served by you racing somewhere else that day.

If helping people understand what to expect from a new tri is silly, then color me Captain Kangaroo.  My personal decision to not race was based on a condition that no longer exists.  At that point, I took responsibilty for my comments by taking an active role in uncovering facts, so I and others could benefit from the information.  And each post was written in a way as to not be biased.  In fact, most of the 2nd post (the update) was VERY positive, showing that the RD has in fact addressed most of the questions folks had. 

And I think it's a pretty broad stretch to turn the active information gathering about a new tri into me being 'this biased against the area'.  If you can substantiate that, I'm all ears.  But I think it's off-base. 

Edited by rkreuser 2006-05-31 5:44 AM
2006-05-31 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Your bias against, comes across in every question you are asking. Whether it is from you, or a friend who has raced there. The fact that you took the ball and ran with it, shows that you hold or held these same prejudices.. right? Otherwise you would have the answers already.

You don't specifically state the same ignorant things that Paragon does, however, you did assume the spokesman position for those who have so called questions. Fact finding on prejudice is still prejudice. Belle Isle does not equal it's 'reputation'. Few things do. Are there some problems? Yes, but The Motor City Triathlon has no greater potential for problems than any other race.

The best way to get the answers you are looking for is to go out there one day and experience the place for yourself. I can almost guarantee you will walk out of there wondering why you thought it was so bad. Hopefully down the road you can actually convince people that Detroit, including Belle Isle is more than it's reputation from 5, 10, 15, years ago.

2006-06-01 2:35 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ok (:

2006-06-01 3:56 PM

Veteran
Michigan

I was born and raised here in the Detroit area.  To be completely honest, I had some initial questions and gut reactions about a race on Belle Isle.   I think that rather then just not talking about it at all, people (including Rick) are asking legitimate questions.  Yea, you can read whatever you want into it but I think people should ask as many questions as they want to.  I honestly don't see where Rick's posts were particularly negative or prejudiced.  This is a new race and it is on Belle Isle and the swim is in the Detroit River.  To say that people won't have initial reactions to that is silly.  They may not ask the same questions about a race in another location but so be it.  I say ask away, get your answers - and then do the race!  It's better then people just not even considering the race at all because they don't ask the questions.

Personally, I can't fit the Motor City Triathlon into my schedule but  I am doing the Motor City Mile swim in the Detroit River. 

Just one question, if you don't mind...I am curious as to why you have such strong feelings about the Motor City race and Detroit if you live in Atlanta?  Are you originally from here?  It's nice to see someone supporting Detroit but take it easy on Rick.  He's a really great guy and his heart is definitely in the right place!

2006-06-02 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

I was born and raised in Detroit and have a pretty deep passion for the city even though I no longer live there. Transfered to Atlanta for work reasons.

My problem with this thread as a whole is that instead of eliminating stereotypes of the city it only helps perpetuate them. Detroit is fighting a perception problem more because of ignorance than reality. Sure, it has problems, but if people continue to be scared away because of statements like: 'Belle Isle is thug central' which rick did not make, but was stated on this thread, then how many potential triathletes, especially beginners, do you think will never even consider the MCT? I'd say most of them.

So go ahead and question it, just don't do it in a negative way. Everyone, especially Detroit area residents should know that the city has made relatively dramatic progress from where it was even 10 years ago... anyway, I'm just defending a city I have a strong passion for.

The effort the race director is making here deserves some trust.  

Edited by atl_runner 2006-06-02 8:37 AM
2006-06-02 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Rick, thanks very much for putting in the time to check on the concerns that many of us have about this race. Based on the facts that you have gathered, and my own current experience with Bell Isle and the tri on the Canadian side of the river, I am not going to do this race this year. I have no bias against the race or the area, and I sincerely hope that the race goes well.

Dave

2006-06-02 8:56 AM
in reply to: #441096

Sometimes you just have to allow those who want to nit pick things to death do so to their own loss.

I'm not concerned about the potential impact of this thread...any longer. Notice there is no overwhelming outcry going on here. Just the same stuff from a couple folks who are looking for reasons not to go the distance and for some reason need to come up with a public excuse.
2006-06-02 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Sorry Jim, but not wanting to go the distance has nothing to do with it. I have signed up for another Oly the same day. It has a much cleaner swim and a more pleasant venue.

Dave

2006-06-04 12:01 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

Dudes... *snif* ...I'm all choked up.  Anyone got a tissue?!

Seriously, I want the race to work.  I want the area to thrive.  Hell, it's my family and property value and the livelihood of a whole bunch of good folks we're talking about here, plus a chance for the tri community to grow.  It's just clear, from this thread, that there's a line between advocacy for the area and faith, and overlooking some important stuff that MAY make a difference to some folks, especially beginners.  And it's not the least bit surprising that we all, somewhat passionately, see that line in a slightly different light.

What it really boils down to is this:  A first year race is ALWAYS in show-me mode, no matter where it is...Detroit or other.  And if the race is that good, and 3D is doing the job they plan to, then most concerns should be addressed pre-race, and post-race people will come home with glowing testamonials of how cool, well-run, and what a must-race event this is for next year.  Or they won't.  For some folks, it's already on the calendar.  For others, it'll earn it's way onto their race  calendars after year 1, or it won't.  I hope it does.

Edited by rkreuser 2006-06-04 12:11 PM
2006-06-04 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
3D puts on a good race. I grew up in a middle class suburb about 15 miles out of Detroit and live in Wyandotte which is downriver and let me tell ya I am looking forward to this event. It was to be my first tri in a loooooooooong time but I am having surgery this week. I will be there taking pics or volunteering I am not sure yet. Yes there negative sterotypes about Detroit. Detroit has come along way in the last decade. The All-Star game, Superbowl etc. Yes, there is alot of work to do in the city but I am stoked about this event.
2006-06-04 7:02 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
As it turns out...I don't have kids that weekend.  Which means *gasp* I might race.  Or jockstrap, at a minimum.  I'll bring the beer, either way.
2006-06-08 9:01 PM

Does anyone have more information on the swim. I started swimming at the Belle Isle beach a week ago. After biking 4 times around Belle Isle, the swim without a wetsuit was very refreshing. I want to know if the if the swim is similar to the Motor City Mile race where you swim a short distance against the current, then way out to the middle of the river. I found the bottom to be more sandy instead of mucky like it has been during some years. Not to many weeds either. I just love training on Belle Isle.
2006-06-09 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
If you go to the 3D website and look up the race, they have a place where you can click for course maps. They show buoys for the swim but no guidance for the direction. I assume that it will be similar to the Motor City Mile. There's not much beach to work with.

How cold is the water? Lake St. Clair was a little chilly last weekend.

2006-06-09 11:10 AM

Close to shore at waist deep there are pockets of warm and cold water. I did not feel cold after the first few minutes(I hate cold water).
2006-06-11 9:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
I swam off the beach today. Visibility was decent, not a significant amount of weeds, and no rocks to cut your feet on. The water was COLD. I had my sleeveless wetsuit but it was still chilly and took a little time to get used to. Got a few odd stares as my friend and I changed into our wetsuits outside the car next to the road.

Hope for a little warm weather in the next two weeks so the water temp will come up!

Other than the temperature, the swim area is great.

Road the course as well. Nice and flat. The road is in good condition.

If you had any worries about the swim, forget them! Come out for the first Motor City Tri!!
2006-06-12 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Glad to hear that there are no rocks there. My concern was not the rocks themselves, but the very sharp zebra mussels that cover all the rocks in that area. I cut myself up badly on zebra mussels at the Windsor tri across the river.

Dave

2006-06-20 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Michigan
Zebra mussles ouch, not sure. But 3 headed walleye maybe.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Motor City Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 3