General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitting...Cleats/Pedals...Fall....Broken.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-14 8:37 AM

Veteran
South Orange, NJ
Subject: Fitting...Cleats/Pedals...Fall....Broken....
So I went to the shop last night for a bike fit and to buy the pedals and shoes. I went with the Shimano SPD-SL pedals and Shimano shoes. A good fit for my wide feet, the only other ones to fit me were SIDI's priced 2x what I wanted to spend, so I figured this was a good price point for my first set. The fit went great and I feel that it was money well spent, I learned about proper position and definately felt more comfortable on the bike and that I was getting more power into the pedaling, less pressure on my hands and shoulders.

On the trainer I was doing fine getting into and out of the pedals......THEN.....I took the bike home, and went to a local ballfield to practice getting in and out of the pedals on the grass, so I wouldn't kill myself when I took that fall that I knew I would take. I did, ouch, got back up and was fine. The bike was not so lucky. Back to the shop tonight to have some piece replaced that holds the saddle on the tube. Not sure what it is, and hopefully not too expensive. My log may show an off day but it's good to know that it was productive.

2004-05-14 8:41 AM
in reply to: #24915

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Fitting...Cleats/Pedals...Fall....Broken....
Steve,
if you practice in a doorway you won't have far to fall 

glad you're ok, hope your bike is too.
2004-05-14 9:23 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Glad you are ok!  Good idea to try out the baseball field. I found a sidewalk in my neighborhood with large portions of grass on either side.  Works well for my multiple falls!  Good luck with you new stuff!
2004-05-14 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
I'm getting my pedals in about 2 weeks, and never thought of a field--what a smart idea!

It's funny though--you just have this weird sensation--like, hey, I really DO know how to ride a bike folks... this falling off thing... it's because I'm becoming a more technologically advanced biker, I swear! No staring, please!!

Hope the bill is not too bad--and maybe we should wear elbow and knee pads??!!?

Dana
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fitting...Cleats/Pedals...Fall....Broken.... Rss Feed