General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman, US Airways and bike shipping Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-03-03 1:01 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Ironman, US Airways and bike shipping

From the IMNA website: 

US Airways is the Official Airline of Ironman North America events in the Continental U.S. Book your flight on US Airways through the Ironman Web site, you'll not only get a great low fare, you'll also receive an electronic certificate to ship your bicycle for free on any US Airways domestic flight.

Has anyone used this? Any recommendations pro or con? I was going to use InsideOut sports full service for shipping but I just noticed this.

2006-03-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: #360160

Champion
Subject: RE: Ironman, US Airways and bike shipping

I also wondered about this and about the success of shipping a bike.  To my mind, with the number of BT-ers we have here, it almost makes more sense to box up your bike and additional gear and ship it via UPS to another BT-er in the area of the race.  That's assuming you'd have to pay extra on the airline.  US Airways handled my luggage OK this weekend with nothing lost, even during a flight change.  On the other hand, my wife's checked bag did get opened by TSA, as there was a note inside when we retrieved it.  Now if they end up opening your bike case, just because of the size of the box, you worry about them repacking it OK.

If I travel with my bike, I'm leaning towards the UPS shipping option.

2006-03-03 8:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I shipped my bike for Xterra West a couple of years ago and regretted it. Bad experience w/ the local shop I shipped it to. But the IMNA events seem to have a good relationship w/ InsideOut Sports and I would be comfortable using that but... it's more expensive than just flying the bike w/ me.

I'm flying to Tampa for St Anthony's end of April and Orlando(MCO) for FL 70.3 in May. I've got direct flights(on Southwest) from Manchester NH for each trip so decreased likelyhood of the baby ending up something place different from me. Wisconsin in Sept however is a concern because I'll be back in upstate and you can't get to Madison easily from anywhere upstate. I'll probably eat the cost and fly out of Syracuse due to time limitations but it's cheaper to fly out of Rochester(or Buffalo and sometimes Albany). I've still got time yet to make those decisions.

Just a suggestion but I know for a fact that Airtran has a non-stop from ROC to Orlando(MCO) on Thurs May 18 and a return on Mon May 22 for reasonable fares because I've got seats for my mom and grandma. I don't know what their cost for flying bikes is. One thing I will be doing is even though I will be using Disney's Magical Express to get to VWL(Villas at Wilderness Lodge), I will collect my own luggage at MCO that trip rather than let Disney/Mears do it. It'll take longer to get to the resort but I'll know where the baby is at all times.
2006-03-06 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
I have no personal experience with US Airways since I've never flown them. My sister lives in North Carolina though and uses them almost exclusively because she has too. She has had her luggage misplaced or delayed on several occsasions and knows several people that have had the same problems. Now, she doesn't even bother checking a bag she just uses a carry on. If she's going to be travelling for a while, she'll just ship her suitcase. FWIW.
2006-03-06 6:03 PM

User image

Regular
Eagle, CO
I have used this website to make my own box. Cost me about $70 to make and my 'artwork' always flys free....

www.triathlonstickers.com

2006-03-14 5:43 AM

Online or Offline

It is not the airline who will open your checked baggage to look thru it. It is the Transportation Security Administration.

If you think the TSA will know how to repack your bike correctly after they undo the straps to root thru your gear, especially if you have a bunch of parts to disassemble for your bike to fit in the case.....well....I don't know what to say.

Have you considered a service like TriBike Transport? You never have to take your bike apart, it gets shipped upright, you can throw in the rest of your gear in a bag for an extra $25, and it gets delivered right next to your event's TA.

You don't have to worry about renting a bigger vehicle to get your bike from the airport to the race either. 

2006-03-14 5:54 AM
in reply to: #362558

Online or Offline

racerx - 2006-03-06 7:03 PM I have used this website to make my own box. 

I'll admit that I don't know enough about my own bike to tear it down like that and rebuild it. Ugh, I can't imagine having an essential part of my bike missing after it goes thru the TSA drive-thru.

The last time I had my bike fly in a corrugated plastic box on an airline, they couldn't even figure out how to wrap my straps back around the box after they opened it. Like that one, the straps functioned as handles AND held the box together so the stuff inside wouldn't clank around and come loose.

2006-03-14 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
No, I don't trust TSA. It's that I'm used to flying through airports where the luggage checks are right out in the open and you just wait while they do it. I've never flown through Tampa before but both Manchester and Orlando are drop points that you take your own luggage to. You can then fix their mess before it actually gets loaded on the plane to bounce around at 30000 ft. My box is a Serfas which actually has latches and doesn't rely on the strap system like the Trico boxes. A good bike shop will give you a lesson in how to pack and unpack your bike. It's an expirement- maybe after St A's I'll be scrambling to find another option for 3 weeks later. Really, there is no perfect solution because cost, TSA, and transit time are all factors.
2006-03-14 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Burbs north of Chicago
To Max's point, I would be happy to help anyone traveling to Chicago for a triathlon.  This might be helpful for anyone doing the Wisconsin IM.  I am about a 15 to 20 minute drive from O'Hare and then Madison is about an hour and 40 minutes.  Not as easy as traveling straight to Madison but for those wanting to fly without stopping I thought I would throw it out there.  PM me if you need help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman, US Airways and bike shipping Rss Feed