General Discussion Triathlon Talk » masters swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-11-07 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: masters swim

I want to take my swimming to the next level, so I'm joining a master's swim team in March (we're moving and don't have one on this side of the city...otherwise I'd join now!).  The problem is that I'm feeling a little intimidated.  I swam on teams growing up, but I'm not even sure where I'd fit in now.  I'm hoping I just get over the intimidation and swim. 

Anyway, breast and fly are probably my weakest strokes.  Do I need to work on these before joining the team?  Back is my thing, and free is fine. 

What should I expect from these practices?

Advice and/or insight, please?

Thank you!

Jenn

2011-11-07 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3852309

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana
Subject: RE: masters swim
The one I went to has a dry erase board. She writes the workout on the board. They use paddles, kickboards, fins and pull buoys. She put in some hypoxic sets too. If you can't do all the strokes, you can substitute with another. About an hour and half long. The masters I went to had novice swimmers all the way to advanced.
2011-11-07 10:33 AM

All of the Masters teams I have observed or participated with, if you are remotely competent in the water, you will fit in somewhere.  There are all levels that participate with masters swimming, and a wide range of goals or purposes for swimming with that team.  Many just do it for health and fun, while some are competitive.  I would talk to them first about equipment.  Some provide all of it or some (usually kick boards and pull bouys) - although I prefer to have my own. 

There will usually be a tier of sets  - or at least a set for novice to intermediate,  and one for intermediate to advanced.  You will have some interval sets, and some stroke sets.  Most I have seen start with a mixed warm up of 500+ yards, a main set of 1,500 to 2,500 yards, and a cool down.  It sounds overwhelming, but the sets are usually broken up with embedded rest times.  You could drop by and observe one, ask questions and meet some people before you get into it.  But if you are interested in swimming, and enjoy working out - you will have fun. 

2011-11-07 12:22 PM

User image

Regular
Here
The advice so far is correct.  Masters Swimming is designed for all levels.  In the Masters group I swim with each lane is literally 5-10secs/100 yards slower than the next lane and so on for 10 lanes.  So the super fast ones are at one end of the pool and the slow ones are at the other end (where I'm at).  However, no body cares how fast or slow you are as long as you are in the appropriate lane for your speed.  Masters, almost by definition, is full of mature adults who respect and admire each other for the simple fact that we are all in the pool working out despite our busy schedules.  Also, people don't care if you want to replace the fly portion with free because its your body and your choice.  I joined just this year and I'm glad with the decision.  Same as you, intimidated at first and frankly out of shape at first but not the case anymore.
2011-11-07 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Jenn,

I wouldn't sweat a thing.  Just show up, introduce yourself etc.  My masters group is mixed between swimmers who do stroke work, swimmers who just do freestyle, and triathetes.  I suck at fly but if it's sets of 25's I'll give it a whirl, sometimes with my fins.  I like the workouts with 100 IM's because it's only 25 yards each stroke.

We usually have three workouts.  One lane for Group III which is beginners etc., one gals swims with a snorkel and we LOVE her!  Group II is a little faster, some triathetes and then Group I is for the fish, although we've only got 2 or 3 really fast swimmers, the rest are intermediate to beginner level.

I can't speak for the personalities and dynamics of your new masters group but I always see a half fully glass until some kuckled empties it out.

2011-11-07 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa

I agree with the advice already provided. I'll share my experience, since I used to be a swimmer growing up and stopped until 8 months ago, when I started training for triathlons and joined a master swimming team. 

The group was very friendly, and I have heard this is usually the case. There are wide variations in skill, so you will definitely fit in somewhere. The coach most likely will ask you on your first day if you know what your 100 yds (or meter) pace is. My recommendation is start at a slower pace than you think you can do. The reason I am saying this is that you can probably sustain the pace only for a portion of the practice, and it's better to build up slowly than gas out too fast. 

You will figure out pretty quickly how you match in terms of speed with the other people on your lane and then you will either move lanes accordingly or stay there and change who leads based on stroke / distance / pull vs. kick, etc.

Hope this helps, and don't be intimidated...

2011-11-07 4:23 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Imagine you show up for a run with a running club.  The majority of them will be 30 minute 5kers.  If you are a 27 minute 5ker would you be shy about showing up?  Can't run a 5 minute mile?  No problem, most of them can't either...

Master's swimming is often very relaxed analogous to the 'running club' I just described.  Clubs certainly vary and have their own personalities, but at some of the meetings I go to there are teams fielding middle-aged housewives who just learned to swim...and 70 year olds taking 3 minutes to swim 100 yards.

They will be very welcoming and they understand that nobody was born a great swimmer.

So be encouraged!

2011-11-07 11:21 PM
in reply to: #3886897

User image

Veteran
There's always room for people, from beginner to pro.  no need to worry -- usually the hardest part is simply signing up.
2011-11-08 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you all for the feedback!  It sounds like I have nothing to worry about.  I'm going to pull the trigger and join
2011-11-08 6:34 AM
in reply to: #3893696

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
jarvy01 - 2011-11-08 5:32 AM

Thank you all for the feedback!  It sounds like I have nothing to worry about.  I'm going to pull the trigger and join

I just started swimming Masters last month and regret not starting years ago. You will love it, swimming in a group environment helps you swim better, faster, longer and the time flies by!

Edited by bryancd 2011-11-08 6:34 AM
2011-11-08 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Agree with above comments. I went from a really bad swimmer to an intermediate one through Masters. Still in the slow lanes but am much more comfortable in the water.

Just make sure you learn proper etiquette when circle swimming, etc.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » masters swim Rss Feed