68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 3676/9241
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Bowl of cereal & 2 pieces of raisin toast, 1/2 bottle of water
Arrived around 7am...2 separate group photos w/Hammerheads (local Tri group) & group from work.

Event warmup:

Ran a couple of gliders
Run
  • 1h 29m 48s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 09m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Mile 1 - Started at the 9min/mile pace area, should have moved way up. Spent this mile at slower than planned pace navigating all of the runners. Saw 3 take a spill with feet getting tangled w/each other.

Mile 2 - Turn & head over the Main Street Bridge - 1st band is playing at the base of the bridge. Picked up the pace a bit.

Mile - 3 Saw a couple of friends spectating - I was a little shocked by the slow 5k split time, 29 mins. Still negotiating throngs of runners. Hit the 1st water station & walked as I drank...I can't run & drink at the same time.

Mile 4 - Feeling good - this part of the course is lined wall-to-wall with spectators...they can be inspiring!

Mile 5 - Came along a couple of Hammerheads & ran together for a mile discussing the upcoming triathlon season. Now I'm starting to feel some fatigue & let thoase 2 run on ahead.

Mile 6 - Winds through another river front neighborhood...59 minutes at the 10k split...not a good sign.

Mile 7 - Began to struggle a bit. Felt really crappy just before the bridge & I'm not sure why. Took a walk break at the final aid station & regrouped enough to tackle the bridge. Another band playing in this mile.

Mile 8 - The Green Monster as the Hart bridge is known. Most of the runners in this race are flat landers that don't experience hills so this 6%, 1/2 mile climb is painful for many. There is a group of drummers that have been at the base of the bridge every year, the Hart Bridge beat! Most runners walk the bridge. I didn't tear it up going up but ran up & passed several walkers. Coming down is a 1 mile descent to the finish line. I FALL on the descent! Ran over a drain & the ankle turned, down I go doing a roll & then back to a standing recovery. Ouch, started running immediately but the left foot really hurt for about 3/10's of a mile.

Mile 9 - The finish is lined with people behing the fences, really gives you chills running down the chute amongst such a large crowd.
What would you do differently?:

Not falling...that hurts!
Post race
Warm down:

Post race is a throng of people..2 post race beers tasted great!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I hate this question...as usual the answer would be...ME!

Event comments:

This is my favorite event of the year. The first event I entered 5 years ago before triathlons, I had lost 30 lbs going into that 1st race & it is my sentimental favorite.

What I love about the River Run:
1 - The atmosphere with the all of the spectators that line the course, I always see several familiar faces to say hello along the route.
2 - The course - One of the prettiest anywhere
3 - The organization - 1st Place Sports always does a fantastic job of running trhe event...never any complaints about water, or other support.
4 - The BANDS - Along the course there are 4 or 5 bands playing!
5 - It's right here in my backyard!

Last updated: 2005-12-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:48 | 9.32 miles | 09m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/9241
Performance: Below average
5k split - 29 min 10k split - 59 min
Course: River run course is flat except for the Hart Bridge in mile 8...1/2 mile of 6% climb. One you get to mile 3 it winds through some beautiful river front nhoods with people lining the course & cheering the runners...that's everyones favorite part!
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-03-12 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: Gate River Run

2006-03-13 7:23 PM
in reply to: #367509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Gate River Run
Peter,

Great job! Glad you didn't hurt anything falling. That starting line really is a zoo, isn't it?

I wanted to be here but had to be in S FL for Kira's state gym meet finals. Did you get into the Hammerhead photo?
2006-03-22 7:17 AM
in reply to: #367509

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Gate River Run
Great run Peter!  Sorry to hear about the fall.  I think I am going to do this race next year, it just really sounds like fun!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gate River Run Rss Feed