General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now I am a lost triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-19 7:48 PM

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: Now I am a lost triathlete
As many of you may have read I completed my first tri last Sunday . Now I am lost. Where do I go from here. I was using the couch to sprint to follow as a bible and keep me honest on workout lenght and intensity. Now how do I train. I have not got an event planed yet but hope for 1 or 2 more this summer. Probably a sprint and maybe something a little longer. Any suggestions to maintaining my level/improving would be helpful. I would hate to start back at the begining. Also I am happy with most workouts under 1 hour. Thanks in advance. Joe

2004-05-19 8:53 PM
in reply to: #26002

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: Now I am a lost triathlete

well, if u just wanna maintain, go back to month 3 (the month before your race) and u can repeat that OR repeat month 4, week 2 (highest volume) for weeks 1, 2 and 3 and build in a ez week for the last week of the month.  this will maintain your volume and u can use it for more specific training like speed, hills, etc...a few articles have been written on the bike and run for intervals, repeats and hill training, u can find them in the directory.

then when u have another event, repeat month 4 of the sprint programs a month away from your race. 

just my suggestions, they are probably many more options to retain volume, get faster and keep things interesting.

2004-05-19 9:03 PM
in reply to: #26020

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Thanks Ron, just the kind of advice I was looking for. Sometimes simple is best.
2004-05-19 10:47 PM
in reply to: #26002

User image

I finished my first Sprint in April. Then I set a goal of an Olympic Length in the fall. which gives me 4 -5 months to train. so now I'm working toward that. Depending on your training availability, I would go for a longer race in the fall. I see it like this... use the time you have to train  to your advantage, I can now run for 60 minutes, Bike 2 hrs , Swim 1500K , which I thought was unachiveable 3 months ago. So now I'm in a good position to do a sucessful tri later this year.  However, 2 hrs is about the most I'll be able to train on a given day. That make it hard for me to progress to the next level.... say 1/2 Ironman. So at then I make the decession to get faster of find alternate ways to get the training I need for a longer race.

If you have limited training time or just want to stick with Spint Tri's. then I would work on getting faster in your trouble spots.

It's nice to have a goal to work toward though.  It really makes the training meaningful...

Lastley, doing the training for a Spint Tri is going to put your in a fitness level that 90% of the population will never achive. Feel good about that and stay active!!!

2004-05-19 11:12 PM
in reply to: #26042

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids

Thanks for the encuragement. I have checked the local scedual and as it turns out the next 2 events that are practical for me are both Olyimpics. I have 9 weeks til the first one. This will be a little aggressive to train for, but the hard part is selling my wife on both events. If I can do that the training should be easy.

Joe

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now I am a lost triathlete Rss Feed