Summerville YMCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 45m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 48
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Sat in car with heater running due to temperature and a cool breeze blowing.
Run
  • 36m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Being my first race of any kind I was a little nervous at the start, I knew I should be able to make the distance even though the longest I had ever run was about 2 miles. I stayed back about mid pack for the start and hit my HRM button on the horn. The plan was to monitor my heartrate during the run to try to keep a pace I thought would allow me to run the whole distance. That strategy was out the door after about 1 mile when I saw my heartrate was 182 beats a minute ( I usually try not to go over 170). I felt pretty good so I just kept trying to slow a little to a 10 minute mile pace. Right before the 2 mile point I felt like I had to stop and walk just for a few seconds, as I was walking I was passed by about a 65 year old guy with a huge beer belly and a girl with a huge butt. There was no way I could allow either one of them to beat me.I started running again and pounding it out to the finish beating the old guy and the girl. At the finish I hit the wrong button on my HRM and screwed up the time and the data that was captured. Woo Hoo I made it!
What would you do differently?:

Learn how to operate my HRM and train with a little more distance.
Post race
Warm down:

Went straight to get some water and watch the rest of the runners come across the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training time.

Event comments:

Nice small town run and the azelias are just starting to bloom so it was quite enjoyable.

Last updated: 2006-03-18 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:01 | 03.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with a few small hills. The course takes you through the old part of Summerville with many old homes.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-03-18 11:33 AM

User image

The Beautiful Lowcountry of SC
Subject: Flowertown 5K

2006-03-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: #373037

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, Florida
Subject: RE: Flowertown 5K
Congrats on the finish and beating the old guy and the big butt girl! The bb girl I had to pass today was also pushing a twin stroller. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Flowertown 5K Rss Feed