View Member's Race Log
San Clemente, CA
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

FULL RACE REPORT:
This was a really cool day for a beginning triathlete like me. I did my first tri two weeks ago in Newport Beach, California two weeks ago, and have been eyeing another sprint before doing my first Oly in mid-July. I was about to sign up for one up in Redondo Beach next weekend. I was surfing on Saturday (after doing my 2,000 yard swim in the morning) and my buddy told me about an "unofficial" triathlon right here in San Clemente that's been going on for about 8 years. He said just to "show up" at 10am at Riviera Beach, which is a few miles from my house, and see what's up.
So, with no tapering whatsoever I showed up this morning and lo and behold, there's a card table in this guy's driveway in a cul de sac next to the beach, and people are gathering with bikes around the cul de sac. So, I walk up this guy's driveway and ask about the event. I had no idea how long the distances were, but I've been training for an Oly, so I figured I'd be okay. He says it's a mile swim, 1/2 mile straight out in the ocean to a big rock called "Seal Rock" here in San Clemente and back. The bike was on local roads and paved bike trails and was 12 miles, and the run was partly on paved, and partly along the train tracks in the rocks on the side and was 4.5 miles. He said it was at my own risk, no release forms, no lawsuits, and naturally, no chip timing. Just his wife with a watch. No bibs...just numbers written on your arm. A couple of my surfing friends showed up which was unexpected. I got the story...apparently this guy who runs the thing and owns the house by the beach is a long-time triathlete who found as his kids got older and responsibilities took hold that it was harder and harder to schedule in the local triathlons, so he and a buddy decided to do their own. So, the first year, it was just the two of them. Second year, a few more buddies joined in, and it kept growing via word of mouth. This year, there were about 60 people, and from all walks of life. I'd say there were maybe 10 serious triathletes, and the rest were just local surfers, lifeguards, and family people.
The signup was simply putting your name on a list. That's it. Not even age groups. Very cool.
So, we all went down to the beach and got a big group photo for the website this guy has, and then he just said "go", and we were off into the ocean. There was plenty of local surfers doing water patrol and he even had the local lifeguard boats watching over us, but is careful not to make the event "official" to avoid having the city shut it down.
Anyway, a fun race for my second triathlon, and I finished in 1:47.20, closer to the BOMOP, which showed me I need to get better on the bike, and get a road bike instead of my mtn bike, and work on swim speed. My swim endurance is fine, but speed is lacking. 30 minutes to swim a mile and I was near the back of the pack coming from the swim.
Just thought you hardcore triathletes might want to hear that grassroots triathlons still exist! What a blast!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 0 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m