Fort Wayne Track Club
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 7s
Overall Rank = 15/169
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special just had light lunch, power bar and peanut butter cookie about 1 1/2 hours before the race and this time brother-in-law drove me to the race.
Event warmup:

Felt a little tight so I did more stretching and slow then Dave and I went out for a little jog of about 2 miles and even though it was nice and sunny we knew it might be an interesting race because the wind was blowing 10 to 15 mph. and gussts to 25.
Run
  • 1h 25m 7s
  • 12.44 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Went out the first 2 miles and it didn't feel bad but way to fast with a first mile at 6:20 but mainly downhill I wasn't too suprised but with the 2nd mile at 6:30 and 2 monster hills in it i Thought i would definetely blow up by the end. So I made a conscience effort to take the next 3 miles easier and see how i felt. It was definetely the right thing even though i got left by the group of 10 guys i was running with by mile 9 I had caught all of them but 4 and I kept picking my pace up the last 3 miles so I caught 2 more of them by the end. It felt great to finish strong and at a faster pace than the rest of the race except the first 2 miles. If it wasn't for that wind which effected about 7 miles of the run into it I would've totally exceeded my time for such a hilly course.
What would you do differently?:

Not go out so fast primarily the 2nd mile with big hills went way too fast for hills that early in the race. But also happy with self on calming down and slow a little to catch breath and then go again.
Post race
Warm down:

Went on a short 1/2 mile jog with Dave and a lot of stretching and eating

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, hills ,,hills, wind , wind, wind, fast 2mile

Last updated: 2006-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:25:07 | 12.44 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 15/169
Performance: Good
All miles were good and steady between 6:45 and 7:00 pace the first 2 miles were 6:20 and 6:30 ( too fast) HR was a little higher than i thought it may be but probably because of all the hills and windy conditions it stayed around 180.
Course: Course was challenging. With the cold temps and relentless winds at 10mph to 15mph it made this extremely hilly 20K for Indiana flats very challenging
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes